Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

What is your choice in a good whitetail round out of a AR style rifle with a 24" barrel?

• .223 WSSM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .243 WSSM

• .25 WSSM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the AR-15 platform and I have a AR10 and in my never ending quest to find another round for the AR I keep coming back to olympic arms line that is using the new winchester super short rounds. I realy like the look of the .25 WSSM, it is realy close to the 25-06 round as well. I like the qualities of this round. Lets face the facts - I am not a sniper nor will I ever be one, I am what I guess you would call a "couch sniper". This round would be for whitetail deer in the south. While I realy like the 6.5 grendall I just do not see the big demand for it yet, same goes for the 6mmPPC. Now that browning is making a complete new action for this round (all WSSM rounds) I would say that it is here to stay for a while. Oly is the only producer of this round in an AR that I know of. Just going to build the lower myself and buy a complete upper. What is your thoughts or comments? (OH, I will be using it to punch some paper too, maybe even a wild rino or two :wink: )

http://www.olyarms.com/?page=m1_k8

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
What's wrong with the AR-10 in .308 cal?

I am not sure that some of the new magnum calibers are a good idea. It will take some time to see if these new rounds will work properly over the long term.

I worry about wear to the bolt head, cam pin, etc. I am not sure that these parts will work properly over the long haul with a really intense magnum round.

But time will tell.

Mad.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Olys website:
Hardly the standard AR rifle, the K8-MAG is outfitted with proprietary high pressure bolts, barrel extensions, bolt carriers, and modified upper receivers. While not standard, the upper receiver will still fit and function on any standard .223/5.56 caliber lower receiver without modification to the lower receiver.
Not sure if that stuff helps any or address your concerns, just what they say. You are correct, only time will tell.

Yep the 308 works great. Just got to have more, you know, an excuse to do another AR :D Darn little things are addictive!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Knowing how short and fat the .25 WSSM is... i highly doubt it would work properly in a semi auto. It would more than likely... if not jam... push the bullet out of crimp and offset the bullet when it rams the round into the chamber. Thus... making it incredibly inaccurate; going through the bore spinning sideways, and tumbling when it exits the barrel. Im curious... why a 25 WSSM in a semi auto? They have other 25 caliber semi auto calibers out there... ive seen .308's necked down to 25... things like that. Im sure those would work. Ive seen .300 WSM's in semi auto's... i know those work fine. Just dont think a WSSM would work... especially if its the 25 or 223.

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why the 25WSSM? Good question! Deer hunting and long range paper killing. Just one of those things, just like to have one.

The reason for the Olympic is it is the only widely produced AR in this chamber. I have seen (read about) some of the others but they are all custom builds, I am trying to stay away from that. There is a 7mm and a 300 in the works I hear! The 7mm is going to be like a 30-06 from what I understand.

AR's are like women and shoes, just can't have too many :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts