Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have a BDC for my MK4 6-20 and it was hitting low at every distance. I borrowed a friends chronograph and figured out I was shooting 150 fps slower than what Berger Bullets told me I would be shooting with my load. SO, I put my original dial back on my scope and went to the 1000 yard line and I will explain under each pic.

Ok, the string that is about 1" at 11 o'clock is shot at 100 yards. It is 10 shots, shot in the prone position with NO rear support, just my fist. What looks like 3 shots that are out of the immediate group, there are 2 shots in each hole. 4 shots in the larger hole that is strung verticaly. The shot by the 6" dot was from about a month earlier.

Down 2, Right 2.

Keep in mind that I am shooting strictly for chrono purposes.

I put five down range and was really really surprised I shot this group with no rear support. It measured .74 extreme spread and .483 center to center. Ok now that I have my velocity, I got out my dads Iphone, Im in BFE with no internet, and went to JBM ballistics and entered my data wrote down the drop.

The 3 shots that are covered by their own piece of tape were fired at 500 yards. (had an orange dot that was about an inch to the left of the middle of that string but it fell off).

My Target is directly in line with left side of the drive way. You can see a dark spot and just to the left you can make out the white butcher's paper.

Ok now I am at 1000. I doped in 21.5 minutes into my scope and prepped for my shots. If you are wondering what is in my ears, it is sharpie pens, I couldnt find my plugs!

There was ZERO wind, the mirage was going straight into the air. I forgot to put in 1/2 min left do to the right hand twist causing the bullet to faid to the left.

Well here is my 5 shot group. It went right about 7.3 inches:D. I was very happy with this group. I went back to the range and shot 3 more shots that measured 3.8 inches (of course I dont have a pic of this one :? ).

FYI: I am shooting a Weatherby Mark 5 action in .257 WBY, Mcmillan A5 stock w/ saddle, Lilja 27.5" 3 groove #7 barrel, 115gr Berger VLD at 3150fps(I know its slow for this round but its accurate :wink: ) Leupold MK4 6-20x50 with a 3 in sun shade.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice shooting and nice rifle. Keep up the good work. 8)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I really wish I had your driveway... Good shooting though. Real nice shooting for the distance....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tx_shooter, Where are you located? I am in Huntsville. My place is in Brenham, TX.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
115vld said:
tx_shooter, Where are you located? I am in Huntsville. My place is in Brenham, TX.
North of Glen Rose.... Not a horrible distance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HA, I am from Weatherford!!!! Small world. I have access to several ranches between Granbury and Glen Rose. We might have to go do some coyote hunting some time. I have 600 yard range at my parents place in Weatherford. Next time Im in town I might swing through Glen Rose to say high. We can eat at Ranchhouse BBQ, have not had that in over a year now and I am craving it something awefull!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
awesome shooting!!

Erik

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice shootin. I wish I had that kind of land. How'd those pens work out for you? LOL. Can't let a thing like hearing protection ruin a perfectly good day at the range/driveway!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man those pens were perfect!!! I just wish they were shorter! I had to improvise!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great shooting..I'm envious of your "range". To find distance like that I have to drive +1 hours into the desert. :roll:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CliF said:
Great shooting..I'm envious of your "range". To find distance like that I have to drive +1 hours into the desert. :roll:
I am very lucky!!! My dad is a cow vet and I have access to all of the ranchers that come through his clinic. Not just shooting but hunting too. I have access to about 150,000 acres all within just an hours drive. I can walk onto my front porch and shoot on my 550 yard range. One place I can shoot at 2 miles!!!!!! Now if I had a 20mm I could put that to use. I do plan on a 416 Barrett someday though!

Now I know it may seem far fetched but I will be shooting at a mile with my gun in a few weeks. I will post pics when I do.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Dang...That's "serious" :shock:

I wish I could do that...

·
Registered
18 Posts
What twist does your gun have? I'm playing around with a light weight 257-STW. I finally was able to shoot a 1/4 group with this gun at 100 yards using 110 AccuBonds. The chrony had them at 3780fps

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
huntinco said:
What twist does your gun have? I'm playing around with a light weight 257-STW. I finally was able to shoot a 1/4 group with this gun at 100 yards using 110 AccuBonds. The chrony had them at 3780fps
Huntico, the best twist for a 25 cal is a 10 twist. Unless you plan on shooting 87gr or less then you would need a 12-13 twist. I used to shoot the 110 accubonds and I shot them at 3400fps with a 10 twist. I would give the 115gr Berger a shot. They shoot WAY flatter than any other 25 Cal bullet on the market! I am shooting 67.5gr of RE25 out of a 27.5" Lilja #7 3 groove barrel. I am only pushing them at 3200fps for accuracy purposes. You could prob get them up to 3450 or so without any signs of pressure.

Chase

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huntico if you are shooting 79.5 gr of powder then you may get around 3600+ fps!!! THat is smoking fast!!!! Your bullet may travel upwards! Ok so I just ran the ballistics for that round at 1000ft elevation, 75 degrees, 78% humidity at standard pressure and you will only drop 26" (4.9MOA) at 500 yards and 174"(16.5MOA) at 1000 yards. That is rediculous!!! I have never seen a round shoot so flat in my life!!
I am jelous, except for throat life :wink:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
That's why you run 155 gr Lapuas from a .300 RUM at 3500 fps with 18 MOA of drop or 7mm RUM with 168 gr Bergers at 3300 with 19.5 MOA ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts