Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
257 STW

I can't seem to get the Berger 15 VLDs to group any tighter then 1in at 100yrds any suggestions? they chrony at 3660 with 78.8 gr RL25. The 110 Noslers shoot the best and seem to dial in at 3760-3780 fps .005 from the lands shooting 1/4 to 1/2 groups. As of yet I have not been able to get any of my guns to shoot Berger bullets.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Seet them right into the lands. You will not be able to load them into the magazine probably but that is how they recomended I load them. I have to admit that the 110 accubonds shoot just as good at 100 yards as the Berger but the berger pays off big time on long shots because of the higher BC!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried seating them in increments of .005, went up to .030 into the lands and .030 from the lands they shoot the best at .015 into the lands, I then went up the powder scale and down the powder scale. Best group was 1inch at 100 .015 in the lands with 74.1gr RL26 3488 FPS.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I guess I would just stick with the Accubonds :? I have never heard of a gun that did not like Bergers. Honestly You might be pushing them too fast. I could be pushing mine at 3325 but it likes them best at 3285. Maybe the STW is too much!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is the 3rd caliber I have used Bergers with no luck, I to was wondering if the high speeds were causing the problems. On the 257 STW I can't soot them any slower the 3460 FPS otherwise the case necks wont expand in the chamber properly causing gas leaks.
Justin

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Most match bullets have a specific RPM they like...lots of times pushing them faster, they stabilize better in a slightly slower twist barrel.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
huntinco said:
This is the 3rd caliber I have used Bergers with no luck, I to was wondering if the high speeds were causing the problems. On the 257 STW I can't soot them any slower the 3460 FPS otherwise the case necks wont expand in the chamber properly causing gas leaks.
Justin
Have you tried shooting some groups at 300? My dads 300 Wby does not shoot that great at 100 yards but it shoots the same sized (sometimes smaller) groups at 300. The bullet just does not stabilize that well at 100 yards. I have never ran into problems like that myself but that is just something else to consider.

CHase

21 - 28 of 28 Posts