Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new SC3 is chambered in 260 Rem and will be arriving in the next month or so. It will be a long range target rifle. I need some advice on some last minute mods I am thinking of making.

My questions:

1. Large bolt handle- Honestly, I can't see spending $100 on this. It looks cool and I would like one, but honestly, how can this be justified?

2. Muzzle brake- Patriot makes a nice one. I want to keep the recoil down. Do I need it or not on a 260? More or less recoil than a .308?

Thoughs/comments appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Recoil will certainly NOT be any worse than the 308. i dont know how much lighter, if any it would be, but with ligher bullets at the same velocity i would think that the recoil would be a tad lighter.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i dont think youd really need a muzzle brake--like mr.trooper said it should not be any worse and i wouldnt be surprised if lighter--in all i dont think u need a muzzle brake, or even the big bolt handle--just get some more ammo

dom

·
Registered
565 Posts
Regarding #1...it all comes down to personal preferance, I guess. But I wouldn't want to be without mine now when I first have it mounted on my rifle. Hella expensive, yes. But I no longer need to worry about squeezing my fingers between the scope and handle and therefor POSSIBLY fumbling instead of just reloading. :roll:

Sure. Looks neat. But there are practical reasons for having one, too. But, whether you need it or not - only you know.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
APK,

I put a knob on for a guy a while back, he was a Marine Recon Sniper, and still is a reserve Navy Spec Warfare guy. He competes all over the world in Sniper shoots, and said he will not be without one ever again. I also would say a brake on the 260 would not be worth the cost, but its up to you. The SC3 is going to be a heavy rifle, felt recoil should not be bad at all, and with a good stock(MEL does not use bad ones) it will be very pleasant to shoot I am sure.

edit for pic addition. Here is the one I did.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I woudl say not to bother with a muzzle brake. I don't have one on my SC3 in 6.5x55, and the kick is no problem at all. I could shoot it all day with no problems.

How long is your barrel going to be?

John

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
26" on the barrel...if I can remember correctly...or did I order a 24? It's been so long...

I think I may pass on both for now and go back later. I just want to do it right now.

What does everyone think about a trigger?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't have any problems with the trigger that came with the montana rifleman action. It is very crisp.

John

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If the montana rifleman trigger is the same design as the win, it can be a great trigger with the right adjustment.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, looks like I'm not gonna do anything for the time being. I'll invest my money in a chrony and then if later down the line I think I need somehting else, I will do it then. THx for the imput guys.

Now....instead of starting another thread...what if i convert this one into...

Chronograph suggetions

I need a chrony and I have been told overwhelmingly by the guys @ SH to get an Oehler. My question, for those w/ experience...is it necessary? They cost about 195-225 depending if u get 2 or 3 sunshades. Is it that big of a difference between like a cheap F1 @ like $70. I want accurate loads, but do I need the uber chrony?

Thx in advance.

APK

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I realize I am a day late and doller short, but yea, it's the same as a Win so I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket trigger. I am sure Mel sets his real well and the stock win trigger is a good design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts