Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I think there is a review here someplace on the 260. There are lots of threads. Long story short, very accurate and great hunting round. The 6.5 bullet kills better than it's size would have you believe. In Europe the 6.5x55 is very popular.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres a post on tactical/sniper use, im wondering, what bullet sizes are factory availible and ther elimitations. Is there any well set for small animals, like yotes? Or big, like moose?[/code]

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
k9870 said:
Im interested in hun ting rounds, not match stuff btw
Try going to Midway or one of the other large online sellers and see what the have. Then go to the bullet company's sites and see what they list.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
someone posted a long range hunting thread earlier about .260 versus other short action rounds like 7mm and 243. it said due to the higher concentration of mass in the front of the bullet that one can expect alot more penetration and efficient energy transfer than both 7mm and 243. I don't know what loads thy were talking about, the link is floating around here somewhere. a lot of hunting ammo IS matchgrade.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a .260 Reminton mountain rifle. I'm very fond of it. I've taken four deer,one hog and a pronghorn antelope with it. I handload for it and have taken the listed game with the 120 Nosler ballistic tip, 129 Hornady SST, 129 Hornady interlock, 125 Nosler partition and 140 gr. Speer SPFB hot cor.

All of the bullets preformed well with all one shot kills.

My suggestion is to surf the net on the 260. There are a lot of hunting forums with lots of information on the 260. Elk and moose can be taken with the 260 with the proper bullets. Here's a couple of articles.

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/153 ... eview.html

http://www.gunhuntermag.com/Articles/ta ... y-260.aspx

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I have a custom Mauser in .260 Rem that is very accurate. I use 140 grain Nosler BTs for deer, as well as 120 grain BTs. 140 grain Berger VLDs worked well also. The .260 is the best of many worlds. It is light recoiling, accurate,easy to load for,hard hitting, and long ranged - easily capable of 1000 yards. Performance you would expect out of a magnum caliber without the punishment. I've dropped a few deer with mine now, and am impressed. I've had deer I killed with a .243 Win that didn't know they were dead for a few hundred feet, a situation less apt to occur with the 6.5 bullet.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts