Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to squeeze all I can for accuracy out of 30-06 and still shoot factory ammo. Has anyone used the German Salazar chamber spec and what is your opinion on it?

Cliffy

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I'll have to ask my brother. He's read most of German's stuff and had a 30/06 chambered here recently.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
So I am looking to squeeze all I can for accuracy out of 30-06 and still shoot factory ammo. Has anyone used the German Salazar chamber spec and what is your opinion on it?

Cliffy
Give PT&G or J.G.S a call and ask them what "No-Turn" reamers they have (or grind) for 30-06 and then pick one that has the best freebore for the bullet you choose to use. Remember though, the heavier the bullet in "factory ammo" the longer the leade you will require so it may not be optimum for the lighter bullets you may use for your hand loads.

I know that Benchmark uses a lot of reamers that are ground to minimum SAAMI specs without reducing the chamber's neck dimensions. By using the minimum SAAMI specs your fired cases won't show any bulge at the base end and you can get a lot of firings out of your brass.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Give PT&G or J.G.S a call and ask them what "No-Turn" reamers they have (or grind) for 30-06 and then pick one that has the best freebore for the bullet you choose to use. Remember though, the heavier the bullet in "factory ammo" the longer the leade you will require so it may not be optimum for the lighter bullets you may use for your hand loads.

I know that Benchmark uses a lot of reamers that are ground to minimum SAAMI specs without reducing the chamber's neck dimensions. By using the minimum SAAMI specs your fired cases won't show any bulge at the base end and you can get a lot of firings out of your brass.

Thank I have some call in now

Cliffy

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
What lead angle? The reamer I am looking at 1.5 degree.
I took a look at PT&G 30-06 reamers.
I think your best choice is between Obermeyer and Salazar.
If it were my rifle, I would choose the Salazar reamer.

Generally as bullets get heavier, they get longer and they have longer noses (more radii of secant, tangent, or hybrid) the more the radii, the shallower the leade should be. PALMA 95 (for 2155 155 SMK) used 1º45" while the 2003 (for Radway Green 155 bullet) Reamer uses 1º30", modern PALMA chambers are shallower than 1º shooting the ultra high BS 155s. Hunting chambers tend to be around 3º.

Dan Lilja has a program that computes leade if one knows the radii of the bullet of choice.

http://riflebarrels.com/a-look-at-bullet-ogives-and-chamber-throat-angles/

And see post #9 from (somewhat off topic but pertinate to leade angles) :: https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518835

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I done alot of research and this is what I've come up with. PT&G reamer print #9685 serengeti rifle.
I plan on shooting 190gr smk, 200 gr berger and the 200gr eld-x out of 28 inch barrel.
Just getting thought on this

Cliffy

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the new barrel is here now, a 28 inch light palma contour with 1 in 10 twist. Still need to get the reamer coming.

Cliffy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I done alot of research and this is what I've come up with. PT&G reamer print #9685 serengeti rifle.
I plan on shooting 190gr smk, 200 gr berger and the 200gr eld-x out of 28 inch barrel.
Just getting thought on this

Cliffy
Well the new barrel is here now, a 28 inch light palma contour with 1 in 10 twist. Still need to get the reamer coming.

Cliffy
OK , I'm getting ready to start a similar build. I have a 28" CW bartlien Sendero 1:10 5R on the way for a LR hunting/ range toy. I've seen the Serengeti and the Serengeti match reamer. which one are you leaning towards and why? this is probably going to be the only custom rifle I have built ( will retire in Thailand not too far off ) it will most likely last a long time , will come back every year or so for a few hunts and go back. will be set up for High BC 175- 210 max running Peterson brass I also have a mountain rifle for short range stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts