Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

-30-06 match handload for bolt action rifles.

30K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  6.5man 
#1 ·
Do you have a bolt action sporter in .30-06? Are you looking for an accurate load for shooting targets?

Here's one: 168 Sierra Match King, 55.0 grains H-4350, Federal brass, OAL: 3.300"--3.350".

Note: this load should be safe in most rifles. But it is slightly warm in our rifle. So you might want to use 54.0 grains instead.

Fluffy

See less See more
#3 ·
55.0 grains of H-4350 is a starting load with the Hornady 168 grain bullet.

That's why we used this charge with the Sierra 168 grain Match King.

It should be a mild load; however, in our rifle it is a trifle warm. But it certainly shoots well.

Fluffy

#6 ·
55grs is can be alittle hot using 4350 and the 168 , but i have worked up loads around 56.5grs in my savage 30-06. It was hot.

If a load is hot in a particular rifle, it may have to do with COAL, some 30-06 have short throats ,and using 4350 , which has pretty good case capacity , one can end up compressing the powder when seating bullets, that might ( ? im guessing) give higher pressure signs.but that's just one guess.

I tap and rattle the bodies of my 06 cases when loading 56grs to try and compress the powder, or pack it tight. I remember reading somewhere there is a powder dispenser or some tool out there that is capable getting the most out of case capacity, but i cant recall.

reducing the load by 10% , ( .10*55=5.5 ,55-5.5=49.5 ) , 49.5 seems alittle one the light side, probably not necessary. Id start 53 or 52 if safety is an issue.

anyways , +1 , good load data.the groups i get from that load are similar to the one fluffy posted.

#7 ·
With slow buring powders, too little powder can also be dangerous. So just start at about 53 grains. And carefully work up the load in half grain increments.

Personally, I think that 54 grains of H-4350 will be just perfect. I think the slightly higher than expected pressure may have to do with the long bearing surface of the Sierra Match king.

Fluffy

#8 ·
Its been my experience that HOT has nothing to do with accuracy, often the contrary.

I've found in my Vietnam Era M-70 Sniper Rifle Clone, 47 grs of 4895 pushing a 175 SMK works great.

#9 ·
I have an 06 that like 50 gr of IMR 4064 with the sierra 168 gr bullet. This is a MAX load folks, load down and work up.

#10 ·
kraigwy said:
Its been my experience that HOT has nothing to do with accuracy, often the contrary.

I've found in my Vietnam Era M-70 Sniper Rifle Clone, 47 grs of 4895 pushing a 175 SMK works great.

He's right. That's why I'm hoping for even more accuracy when we try 54.0 grains of H-4350.

We only tried 55 grains because I thought it was a starting load.

Fluffy.

P.S. Would you please post a picture of your Model 70.?

#12 ·
Did you shoot five consecutive five-round groups that measured 1/2 MOA or under?

#14 ·
Mad said he was going to prove his factory Husqvarna was an honest 1/2 MOA gun this weekend...

#15 ·
FluffyTheCat said:
55.0 grains of H-4350 is a starting load with the Hornady 168 grain bullet.

That's why we used this charge with the Sierra 168 grain Match King.

It should be a mild load; however, in our rifle it is a trifle warm. But it certainly shoots well.

Fluffy
I'm curious who told you this? For their 30-06 M1 Garand ammo, they told me in response to my asking them directly that they use Varget. I dumped a few loads and they averaged 48.8 grains, so I feel certain at least the M1 Match ammo is Varget. This wouldn't be near enough powder for H-4350 or IMR-4350.

As you obviously already know, you can go a lot higher with the H-4350 and/or IMR-4350

HODGDON
168 GR. HDY HPBT Hodgdon H4350 .308" 3.230" 55.0 2695 40,400 CUP 59.0 2897 48,100 C

IMR
165 GR. SIE SPBT IMR IMR 4350 .308" 3.300" 56.0 2746 48,100 PSI 60.0C 2934 57,600 PSI

When I did my comparison between Hornady's M1 Garand Match ammo and my reproduction of the same (200yd line, Quantico, VA) from a sand bag, my first five rounds were X, X, X, 10, X with Hornady ammo. My next 5 rounds of my own reloads were 10, X, X, 10, 9. No sight adjustment between the two. As issued, M1 Garand. Only modifications have been to grind out the stock on the inside so none of the wood touches the barrel at any point.

#16 ·
Thank you for that valuable piece of information. I suppose that they use Varget in order to take into account the Garand's gas system. A slow burning powder tends to damage the operating rod in the M1 Garand.

H-4350 was used by us because we're using a bolt action rifle. And 55.0 grains of H-4350 gives good loading density.

It was supposed to be a mild load but 55.0 grains leaves primers slightly flattened in our Husqvarna. Every rifle is a law unto itself.

We were unable to test any further because that dumb oaf Squinty went and flooded my basement.

Fluffy

#17 ·
30-06 varmint load

ok guys i got a 30-06 in a mauser 98 with a hart bull barrel. i am shoting 125gr speer TNT with reloader 15 powder i cant rember how many grains at the moment ill have to check on that but at 100 yds i got 5 shoots that can be covered with a dime and at 400 yds with no wind you can cover my holes with a quarter

so for small game and a big bang it works well for me :D

#18 ·
Currently loading up some 190smk's with some h4831sc in various load densities, I will post up the report as soon as I get a chance to get out to the range. Rifle will be a 22" barreled howa 30-06.

#19 ·
Man, I cannot get these 190gr sierra match kings to shoot! The best I could do was about a 2" group. Ironically, this rifle will shoot 1 MOA with factory 150gr ammo. I know i can do better than that with hand loads. So far I've tried H4831sc, IMR4064, and AA2520, all with 190gr pills.

Any pointers?

Any 190gr loads??

#20 ·
6.5man said:
Man, I cannot get these 190gr sierra match kings to shoot! The best I could do was about a 2" group. Ironically, this rifle will shoot 1 MOA with factory 150gr ammo. I know i can do better than that with hand loads. So far I've tried H4831sc, IMR4064, and AA2520, all with 190gr pills.

Any pointers?

Any 190gr loads??
My Browning A-Bolt 30-06 is similiar. I have had great sucess with 165g SST (hunting load) shoots about .8 inch groups but when I jump up to 180g SST is just goes to crap and shoots about 2.5 inches. Its a 1:10 twist barrel so it should shoot 180g just fine but it just won't. I have tried couple different powders and tried to work up loads to shoot 180g SST or Gamekings and it just doesn't like them. I chucked the idea and stuck with the 165 SST as it shoots great with them.

I agree that every rifle is different. My varmit AR loves HSM 77g ammo. My old Savage model 10 PC loved them ... shot .5 groups routine. My Gap built on a Surgeon Action hates them and it has a 1:8 barrel when the other two had a 1:9. So I set about working up a load ... ended up with 77g SMK pushed by BL-C (2) powder ... shoots Lights out with it. Took me a while to find it but now that I have ... I can't hit the range without that rifle ... so much fun.

#21 ·
Thats interesting, Sapper. Maybe its just an inherent characteristic of these '06 rifles. For now, I'm gonna scrap the idea and get some 167gr Scenars and see how they shoot.

#22 ·
I have had pretty good luck with my stock Rem 700 BDL in 30-06. My load for many years was a compromise. Its not the load that shot the best, but its a hunting rifle, so its the load that performance and accuracy were at a good compromise. I used Speer 165 grand slams as an all around hunting bullet. It performed well on elk and deer. It shot 5 shot sub moa groups and was chronographed at 2950 fps. It is a hot load. My 30-06 has a lot of free bore. I seated the bullet out just off the lands. The cartridge looks a little funny, but easily fits into the magazine. Moving the bullet out on the lands not only gave me better accuracy but it allowed for a little more case capacity as the space was not taken up by the bullet.

Bullet : Speer 165 Grand Slam
Powder: 59.5 grains of IMR 4350 ***MAX LOAD USE CAUTION***
Primer: CCI BR2
Case: Winchester match prepped

I recently started experimenting with Sierra 200 Match Kings and Game Kings, using RL-22 and have had good results. I don't have the load information on that as its back in the states and I am not. I will have to post some pics when I get back. I shot a 10 shot sub moa group. I am sure I can improve on it.

I don't shoot my 30-06 as much as I shoot, more because its a stock hunting rifle and I get a little more satisfaction from shooting one of my tuned rifles. I have considered accurizing my sporter but I get carried away and my hunting rifle would transform into a bull barrelled target rifle that I don't want to pack around. I already have a few of those.

#23 ·
Update:

Did a few range trips lately and here's what I've found:
168gr A Max
47.8 grains of IMR-4064
Federal brass
CCI-200
0.8" 5 shot groups

Also, I've been doing some reading and a lot of people have had luck using RL-22 with the 190 grain bullets. So I tried it and it worked!
190gr Sierra Match King
52.5gr of Reloader 22
Winchester brass
CCI-200
0.8" 4 shot group

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.