Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - another not very sniper related question again, but out of curiosity, how do .30-30 and .44 magnum compare out of lever rifles? I don't know much about the .30-30, and it seems a bit of an odd-ball, being a round nosed rifle round.

I gather the .30-30 can handle bullet weights of around 130~180 grains, while the .44 can go as high as 300 grains, but how do the two compare ballistically - does the .30-30 have substantially better range performance? I kinda assumed .44 would be able to reach around 150m's, with .30-30 topping out at 200ms?

I recently found out my local fireing range is in fact the huge distance of an entire 50m's you see, which got me thinking of the posability of getting a lever gun rather than a long barreled revolver.
The idea being I would go to the local 50m range for casual plinking, and could go down to the Bisley shooting centre for longer ranges (out to 1000m's I believe). It's just my ponderings, but I'm looking at getting something not complete overkill for 50m's, but could reach out to 150-200m's on occasion.

Really this is aimed at Mad, being the residant expert, and I am sure he has experience with both at some point? :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
the 30-30 has killed more deer than almost any other round I bet... It's not going to be a good long range round but I wouldn't put any doubt on it's efficiency as a decent little whitetail rifle.

-BS

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I looked around some other forums for ya, Yim, and here are some finds for the 44 magnum with a 16 inch barrel. I think these are all commercial loads. So many guys handload these days, and the factory ballistic charts for 44 mag are rarely from carbine barrels, but here are some possibilities.

Speer Gold Dot EST ballistics for 16" carbine barrel (velocity gain of 400 fps over pistol ballistics)
23973 44 Magnum 240 GoldDotJHP Vel >>>1800

Speer Gold Dot EST ballistics for 16" carbine barrel (velocity gain of 400 fps over pistol ballistics)
23972 44 Magnum 210 GoldDotJHP Vel >>>1850

Hornady XTP - EST ballistics for 16" carbine barrel (velocity gain of 400 fps over pistol ballistics)
9081 44 Magnum 180 FMJ HP Velocity >>>1950

Hornady XTP - EST ballistics for 16" carbine barrel (velocity gain of 400 fps over pistol ballistics)
9088 44 Magnum 300 FMJ HP Velocity >>>1550

The lighter bullets should be fine to get you to 200 meters there. I'd SWAG (Scientific Wild @ss Guess) that if you sight in about 2 inches high at 100 meters, you'd be dropping about 12 inches at 200, but it will get you there. That's for the 18-1900 FPS rounds. Similar to 45-70 Govt. Federal loads a 44 Mag 240 grain SP at 1750 FPS at the muzzle, with 17 inches of drop at 200 meters, zeroed at 100. If you sight in 2 or 3 inches high, it would be nearer to 12.

The 30-30 is good to go out to 300 meters. I wouldn't try that hunting, but Yimmy is killing paper, not animals, so let's check out Federal's figures.

150 grain SP: 2390 FPS (probably a 20 inch barrel) Zeroed at 100 meters, it would drop 7.1 inches at 200 and 26.6 inches at 300. A hold over for a touch over 2 feet can be done, but that bead sight a lever action comes with would be "ginormous" when it's on a 300 meter target. Those beads are big. If you scope it, hits would be a cinch.

170 grain Partition, 2200 FPS, -8.3 inches @ 200,-29.9 @ 300

Winchester used to load a High Energy 30-30 round...Costs a little more, but they shot nice in my old 94. I don't see it being loaded anymore though, maybe Hornady loads a hot 30-30.

Wind with the 44 is going to be a bear. With that federal load, a 5 MPH crosswind is going to push it 9 inches at 200 yards.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re

Thanks for the informative answer there Muzz.

Now for the big question...

...no, not the meaning of life....

...but Winchester 1894 or Marlin 336? :?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've shot a winchester 94 in .44 and loved it...own a .375 big bore winchester 94 and love it. No experience with the marlin but a buddy of mine has a .30-30 marlin and he loves the thing to death.

-BS

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I say Marlin, stronger action and side eject in case you want to mount a scope it is easier.

As for 30-30 vs 44 mag, I vote for the 30-30.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
lol ouch, I was wondering if this question would rear it's ugly head :lol:

I had a Win 94 for a while, before my uncle claimed it, and I currently have a Marlin 1895 which isn't too different from a 336 at all. The Winchester is built slimmer, and the top of the reciever moves back and forth. It's pretty complicated inside and the rifle dumps it's guts when you work the lever. It's a well built rifle though, some people say the parts are small and weak, or there are too many, but they work great and stand up to hard usage. For a few years now, at least 5 that I can remember, Win 94's have been made in "Angle Eject" models that can have a scope mounted directly overt them. I find the winchester is built slimmer than the Marlin in the handguard and butt.

The Marlin is a lot like a bolt action. It has two moving parts if you don't coult the bar that locks the bolt home in the rear. Bolt, and lever. The reciever has a flat top, and it stays put, the bolt is a cylinder inside that attaches to the lever, and thus is worked directly. They are a lot simpler internally, and built a little beefier and stronger externally like Eka said. The Winchester is fine for factory, but if you like hot handloads, the fit of it in your hands, and simplicity, the Marlin is tops. Some people say the tolerances are tighter than a Win and the simple bolt action likeness makes for better accuracy.

Fit, finish, and the sights are more or less the same. There's barely a difference unless you use a Cowboy Marlin, that comes with aftermarket sights from Marble's.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Nothing has as much character as an old levergun. That one sounds like a beauty. Either the Winchester or the Marlin is something you can hand down to your kids. And they to theirs. A little bit of steel wool and a loving touch could take care of that stickyness with the lever but I understand wanting to leave it be as well.

There's a lot more aftermarket sights and mounts for them now than ever before too.

Heh, from the kick, I'm assuming you have a 16 inch barreled carbine?

·
Registered
145 Posts
My Marlin 336C in 30-30 was my first, and most favorite firearm- period.

I use the cheap CoreLokt ammo from Academy and can make people cry when they see my targets from 50 and 100y with open sights. I'll goto the range tuesday and take her along with me so I can snap a picture of my targets. The Marlins can shoot!

Never owned a .44 so I cannot honestly compare the two, but you will not be DISappointed in owning a Marlin 336 in 30-30.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Here is my Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70

There is something about a lever action. Maby it is the cowboy image.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
You're right, Gabriel. It's that Microgroove rifling. The Ballard in the 1895's for shooting cast lead does a number too. 1.5 MOA easy with cast and a gas check.

Eka, that's an awesome GG. That a Lyman on it?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Eka, that's an awesome GG. That a Lyman on it?
Nope, a williams.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Very cool.

Have you ever seen the XS systems stuff? Used to be the good old Ashley Outdoors. I have their scout mount on my guide gun, and I would kill for their ghost ring set.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Very cool.

Have you ever seen the XS systems stuff? Used to be the good old Ashley Outdoors. I have their scout mount on my guide gun, and I would kill for their ghost ring set.
No, never heard of it. Tell all. On second thought don't tell me, I am almost broke now :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I know, I'm trying to think of how to pay a set off :lol:

You're in luck though. Their site is down so I can't post images. Just think of a nice wide .230 aperture ghost ring, with wings to protect it, and a good old ramp post with a white stripe down the middle.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Since we're talking about lever guns, does anyone remember to old TV show "The Rifleman", starring Chuck Conners? Was that a Winchester or a Marlin rifle he used? I think it was a Marlin, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
re

Gaw.... now I weally weally want one. :lol:

On the off chance that you lot think your 2 week (?) waiting period is bad, I have to:

Pass my driving test (Slack of me to not have it yet I know, I should have done it ages ago but ive been waiting for my reserve unit to pay me to do it...), this September, and get myself some wheels.

Then I have to go down the local gun club, get to know the members and become a probational member for a full 3 months.

Only then can I apply for a firearms license, which will take around another 3 months to go through.

Then I have to get a decent gun safe, and bolt it to a load bearing wall out of the way.

Then I can purchase a firearm.

Feel sorry for me?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts