Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Not sure what you are looking for, but its a very capable round. You can look at load information to get an idea

MEL

·
Registered
448 Posts
it kicks pretty hard and goes BANG really loud and gets lots of attention when you fire that first shot at a busy rifle range. Especially if you have a muzzle brake.

What do you want to know? I have one and love it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
All I have tried so far is 180 and 200 grain bullets. Let me know what you find if you build some loads in 120 grain bullets.

My best luck so far which has been very limited has been with Nosler ballistic tips in both 180 and 200.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I stood next to Badshot when he cranked off a few with hid Sendero. All I know is that the bullet does not have to hit anything from this beast rifle, the shock wave alone is enought to kill most critters within 300 yards. :D

JeffVN

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Jeff, can you still hear? Still have all of your extremities? :lol:

We7et, are you trying to limit the penetration by using a 120 grain bullet?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Jeff will attest to the recoil of my RUM being very much tolerable (is that a word?) with the Briley muzzle brake. But he is right about the blast from that thing. Back in early January I ran to the range one evening after work to sight it in to take it hunting for the weekend. I got to the range and it was a good cold evening in the upper 40's and the wind was blowing good so I didnt have to worry about my barrel heating too bad. I settled in on a bench with a guy shooting a AR next to me. My girlfriend was sitting behind me and she watched the AR guy when I cranked that first round off. She said he jumped about six inches when I fired then got up and took off and went to the pro shop. He stayed there until the next cease fire and then came back to gather his stuff and go home.

I'm sorry Mr. AR shooter guy. LOL

On a hot day I have to wait about 5 minutes between shots to keep my barrel from heating what I feel to be too much.

120 grain bullet out of this caliber would be like shooting a 120 grain laser beam at something. I would be afraid the bullet would desentigrate (did I spell that right) on impact due the sheer speed of the bullet. I could just imagine what the little 120 grain bullet would look like since my 180's look like pellets for my air rifle compared to the case.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm trying to verify that high speed is the best method of achieving high penetration

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/black ... ysis3.html

If u read the article u'll instantly suspect that .300 Ultra Land warfare of Le Mas is nothing but fitting a 7.62x39 bullet weighing 124 grains to the case of .300 RUM to achieve the high muzzle velocity to get a huge penetration, which is consistent with Ackley's findings on the armor penetration of the .220 Swift based on high velocity projectiles.

·
Registered
207 Posts
if im not mistaken, the 7.62x39 bullets WILL NOT fire from a 300 RUM. The RUM shoots a .308 bullet while the 7.62x39 shoots a .311. Thought that might be a good thing to point out.
Chris

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
We7det_el_qetal_ra3d said:
I really want to know your opinions on achieving penetration

do we go "heavy and slow" or "fast and light"

my personal opinion is the latter.
A heavier bullet tends to keep it''s velocity better and penetrate better everything else being equal, however that is never the case. Diffrent bullets for the same cal are designed to expand faster or slower in a certin velocity range. Add to that .308 bullet of 125 gr fired hitting a target at 50 yards will have a higher vel than a 190 gr will. At aroung 500 yards or so the 190 will retain its velocity better and actually be travelling faster than the 125 that was initally faster. Add to the fact that lighter bulletts tend to be made to expand faster than heavier bulletts, as well as other factors it starts getting complicated.

However as a general rule get a heavier bullet of a given cal for deeper penetration. Also make sure you know if the bullet is designed for deep penetration or rapid expantion, and what velocity range it is designed for. Its not that the bullets are bad, its just a diffrent tool for a diffrent job.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do mostly hunting and have never been forced to fire a firearm at a person.........yet. But the way I see it is that you want your intended target to absorb all energy created by the impact of the bullet. You can only penetrate so far then all energy after that is wasted. Once the bullet exits the far side of your intended target any more penetration is wasted. My suggestion is find a load for your rifle that is the most accurate across the board. By this I mean one that shoots the best at 100-whatever yards and you can rely on to be there when you pull that trigger. Penetration and speed dont do you any good if you cant hit what you shoot at. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well actually it wouldn't be that hard to out neck the RUM case slightly to accept .311 bullets
All i ment was that to fire the .311 bullets you would have to rebarrel the 300 RUM to more of a "303 RUM". Im guessing that would be a little tough since nobody i know of makes such a round and would be difficult to find a reamer for it.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
True, Badshot. I hunt a lot too and I know what you're saying. One thing about depositing energy though, and I have no proof to back this up, really...

I think if your bullet uses all it's energy in the target, the last half of it doesn't do much. Speed and Ft/lbs are not equal, and I think the first 2000 fps and 2000 ft/lbs do a lot more than the last 1000 do in the animal. Best hit with more than needed and overpenetrate. The damage as the bullet expands will be bigger, and after that, it's all just a hole the size of the expanded bullet anyway. Since there is no real "stopping power" or "knockdown power" to a firearm, basically, I like the idea of combining a rapid expansion of a round for making a big temporary cavity and depositing energy violently, but with the chutzpah to come out the off side of the animal still scooting.

Then again, lol, 405 grain rounds from a 45-70 at a mere 1300 fps can have startling results too.

Main problems I see with small, fast bullets are the rates of twist messing them up as it will put a lot of force on them since they move so fast, and the inherently poor sectional densities of the small rounds.

Again, just my observations/crackheaded opinion lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We7det_el_qetal_ra3d said:
Well actually it wouldn't be that hard to out neck the RUM case slightly to accept .311 bullets
Its not the casing you have to worry about making fit an AK round its the bore. Kinda dangerous to be shooting .311 bullets through a bore designed for .308. You can, however, use the American Eagle and Winchester Metric 122gr 7.62mm bullets since they ARE .3080". Heck, you can even load up some .30 carbine 110gr bullets into a 300 RUM! :D

I wonder what kind of velocities you would get with the 60gr ( or whatever grain they are ) Sabot rounds in a .300 RUM?! :shock:

I want to see some one put an M-995 Steel Core 5.56mm bullet into a 30 caliber SABOT and stick it in a .300 RUM! :shock: :D Now there is some penetration! 6,000+ FPS with a 65gr .223 steel core bullet! :shock:

Aaahhh, my crazy idea's. I love them.

The Rifleman

·
Registered
448 Posts
MB,

I would have to go back and look at my load data to make sure of my velocities but I know my RUM is cranking out 180 grain Ballistic tips over 3100 fps at the muzzle. I really dont think we have anything (animals) here in Texas that is going to stop that bullet even out to 400-500 yards. I have had the chance to lock onto an animal with it (RUM) yet but I have shot animals out past 400 yards with my 25-06 and none have stopped my 120 Ballistic tips. Provided these have all been small varmint type critters (coyotes, bobcats and javelina). My best shot was this last deer season at 460 yards as the cat was walking away. All I'll say about that shot is one word, "enema". Over the last 5 years or so I have been averaging a shot distance of about 250 yards until this last deer season. I got my 14 point at about 50-60 yards. That sure does put a ding in the averages.

AR,

You scare me!!!! A 65 grain bullet in a 300 RUM would be almost flat to 1000 yards. LOL Why don't you go ahead and try it and come back and tell us what you get. LOL I have given some thought to loading some 120 some-odd grain loads for my RUM though. It's going to have to wait at least until after December 13 when I graduate from school. If I were to start building up loads right now my girlfriend would shoot me with them since I work all day then go to school until 10 every night of the week.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Sorry Badshot, I get stuck in an east coast 300-900 pound critter at 50-100 yards mindset sometimes lol. I wish I could convince myself I need the 25-06 or the 300 RUM. To date I've only taken one for sure over 200 yard shot on game.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shedding energy into the target only applies to non-armored targets
guys

when ur talking about penetrating armor it's a solid steel or titanium bullet of the 120-125 grain range out of a .300 RUM

1 - 20 of 33 Posts