Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever shot a .300 Weatherby Mag? I am thinking of getting an SC1 chambered for it, but I'm not sure if I can handle the recoil in a long shooting session. The rifle will probably weigh around thirteen lbs by the time I get the scope, bipod, mounts, etc on it. Also, my dad just got a .300 WSM in a very light Kimber model, and I have no trouble with that recoil, so the .300 Weatherby in that heavy of a rifle shouldn't bother me, right?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
You also have the option of a muzzlebrake. Its a $200 add on, and we do the holes in the top and the sides, but not the bottom to prevent dust signature. It reduces recoil from 30-40%

MEL

·
Registered
777 Posts
I took a quick look at the recoil numbers jeffb, and it looks like the 300 Weatherby only kicks a little harder than the 300 Winchester, which only kicks a little harder than the 300 WSM. If you can handle the WSM in a lightweight rifle, I would think you could handle the Weatherby in a heavy one, at least in small doses. Bear in mind a 300 Weatherby rifle will require a magnum-length action.

The thing that would really catch my attention is the staggering price of ammunition. Weatherby's website lists the cheapest 300 Weatherby load at $40 a box. You might be able to find it cheapter elsewhere, but still...

Midway lists 300 Weatherby brass at $18.29 per 20, so handloading will still be expensive.

As for long sessions...I honestly don't know. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

However, if a 300 Weatherby Magnum precision rifle is what you want, by all means, go for it. It would certainly be neat, and cause much drooling at your range. Oh yeah, it would definately perform. And finally, maybe it's just me, but there's something alluring about rifle cartridges headstamped "Weatherby". 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Thanks to Mel, I'm now considering a muzzle brake, which should help a great deal. Anyway, I'm with you about the Weatherby thing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts