Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, looking for some assistance beyond the usual reloading manuals.
info: Savage 112, 300 win mag, 26" barrel, 150 NBT.
Does anyone have some proven suggestions on loads.
I am reloading for the 1st time. I am thinking of using IMR 4320, IMR 4350 and RL 19 to start with but I am interested in your opinion if you have tested this combination. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have reloaded for the 300 mag a little bit. As far as going beyond the reloading manuals, unless you benchrest shoot, you are going to find that the manuals are often right on determining the most accurate powder. If its not the most accurate one, then it is a difference of a fraction of a fraction of an inch. If you have a custom rifle with some odd specs here and there, then going beyond the manual can really help. If I were you, I would stick with the reloading manual. With that rifle, I would think that .75inch groups at a 100 yards would be the norm with nosler ballistic tips or sierra match bullets. It will depend on your shooting and the quality of the production at the time they made your rifle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your reply. I see now I should be more clear about what I ask and how I ask it. I didn't mean to imply I wanted to exceed the loading manual max. load. I just wasn't sure how paticular I should be. The manual goes in 2 grain increments. Does anyone go to the extreme of loading in .5 (IMR 4831 in my manual suggest 72.0 to 76.0 grain) Do any of you guys load 73.5 grain? I realize this would take a lot of shooting to fine tune to this. Is this to paticular? Again thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Here is what I would do:

I would rely on the famous IMR balance point. This phenomon was discovered by Elmer Keith way back in the 1950s.

Start loading IMR-4831 at the starting load. Chronograph your starting load.

Increase the load by one grain. Chronograph this second load. You will note that as you increase your loads by one grain of powder, the velocity will increase a uniform predictable amount. One of the great things with IMR powders is that they are so predictable. You will find this predictable uniform velocity increase with every extra grain of powder.

Now at a certain point, you will find that a one grain increase of powder will produce only a slight increase in velocity. And this increase of velocity will be much less than what you expected. At this point your load is unbalanced. Reduce your load by one grain, and you will arrive at the "balance point". This load represents the maximum safe balance between velocity and pressure. And usually at this point, you get best accuracy.

Of course, seating length is also really important and before commencing, loading you should experiment with dummy rounds in order to figure out the maximum length of a loaded round for your chamber and magazine. Just make sure that you don't jam a bullet into the leade. That can increase pressures like crazy. You want a long cartridge with the bullet sitting about 20 thousanths away from the rifling.

I have never loaded for the .300 Magnum, but I'm sure you want a slow burner like IMR-4831 because you want to be able to safely fill the case with powder and to obtain the highest safe velocities.

And make sure you know how to read fired cases for signs of excess pressure. You can find pictures of what you need to look for in the reloading manuals and you can also seek out the opinion of more experienced handloaders at your local range. Show them your brass if you have any questions.
Mad.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
ive gone to the extremes of loading in .1 grain increments, backing off 5% after i see the primers start to flatten.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Look at RL-22 for a reloading powder for the .300 wm. I have a A191 and I use RL-22 exclusively. I shoot 73.4 gns with a 190 SMK and get 3050 fps CHRONO'd. And it shoots .25 MOA
This was all confirmed by the builder who shot this rifle himself and has the targets to prove it. This is a hot load, however, it is the A191 load.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have been working on loads for my 300 RUM and IMR 4350 was one of my powders I have tried. I am going to try h4831 sc this weekend and I went to the .5 grain extreme in it. I did have some pretty good results with H1000 also with 180 grain NBT's. I have been doing some more reading and was wondering if anyone has tried any powder by "Accurate" and specifically the 8700.

I know when I get to the max loads in my RUM that thing is a cannon. And the muzzle brake assures me of clean shooting benches to either side of me also.

The different powders I have tried so far are IMR 4350, H4831SC and H1000. The H1000 has produced my best groups to date. Future teting will include RL powders and that Accurate if I can get some good information about them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You can try RL-25... Retumbo... Hodgdon's H-1000... or what i use in my .300 RUM loads... IMR 7828. Im getting outstanding accuracy with IMR 7828 in my RUM... try it out in your Win Mag. 8)

BC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man this is a cool place, thank you all for your help. This is what I have loaded so far. I know when I started this I said 150gr NBT but I am going with the 165gr NBT. RL22 75gr thru 79gr in 1 grain increases and IMR4831 70gr thru 74gr in 1 grain increases. What I plan to do is find the most accurate load with this combination then move .5gr up and down. What I am looking for is to feel very comfortable making a 400 yard shot on big game.

·
Registered
3 Posts
anyone loading 210gr in 300 win mag?

I just got some berger 210gr VLD bullets for my 300 win mag and checking to see if anyone has loaded this or knows of a good load for this bullet? None of my manuals have info for 210gr bullets. Thank for any info you can give.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got some berger 210gr VLD bullets for my 300 win mag and checking to see if anyone has loaded this or knows of a good load for this bullet? None of my manuals have info for 210gr bullets. Thank for any info you can give.
210 Berger VLD hunting bullet
79.0 of H1000
Fed 210M primer in WW case

1 - 12 of 12 Posts