Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am having a bit of a time with reloading for the 300 Win Mag - specifically the resize operation.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard VGX, am using RCBS die and shell holder on a single stage press.

I used a Hornady Headspace bushing and the once-fired case is 2.273.
The fired and sized case is 2.278.

I have tried to screw down the sizing die to reduce that number but it is so hard to do so.

I do have the Willis Reloading Technologies die to use if necessary.

What am I doign wrong?

I have reloaded for a number of years, five pistol calibers and three other rifle calibers but this one has me stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi All,

I am having a bit of a time with reloading for the 300 Win Mag - specifically the resize operation.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard VGX, am using RCBS die and shell holder on a single stage press.

I have tried to screw down the sizing die to reduce that number but it is so hard to do so.

What am I doign wrong?

I have reloaded for a number of years, five pistol calibers and three other rifle calibers but this one has me stumped.

Thanks
What exactly is this issue causing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to severly overcam the press to come close to the case fitting the chamber.

I can understand a little bit of over-cam but am thinking to do it to an extreme won't work for me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have to severly overcam the press to come close to the case fitting the chamber.

I can understand a little bit of over-cam but am thinking to do it to an extreme won't work for me.
I’m really not getting what you’re saying. Why over cam? Once the brass is fully in the die it should be resized fine. Are you lubing correctly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using Imperial lube and that is going OK. Cases go in and come out just fine

I'm trying to get the shoulder down .005 according to the headspace guage I'm reading.
The readings from a fired case and a resized case are in my first post.

Is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm using Imperial lube and that is going OK. Cases go in and come out just fine

I'm trying to get the shoulder down .005 according to the headspace guage I'm reading.
The readings from a fired case and a resized case are in my first post.

Is there something I'm missing?
Ok I see what you’re trying to do. So I’m guessing the obvious move didn’t work which was to drop the die a half twist and re-lock it.

The same thing happened to me when I swapped out my barrels. The new barrel was tighter so all my ammo needed to have the shoulders dropped a tad. I was able to do it with the ammo still loaded. I took out the deprimer and it worked a lot easier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed.
I'm doing some more research and the current thought is to get the Redding Body Die.

At least it appears I have a Fall/Winter project ahead of me.
I have a bunch of once-fired cases from another rifle that i want to reload but am starting with once-fired cases from my rifle to see if that is possible and to get a learning curve.

There are plenty of other rifles and pistols I have to shoot until I get this thing figured out

Thanks so much for the reply!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Indeed.
I'm doing some more research and the current thought is to get the Redding Body Die.

At least it appears I have a Fall/Winter project ahead of me.
I have a bunch of once-fired cases from another rifle that i want to reload but am starting with once-fired cases from my rifle to see if that is possible and to get a learning curve.

There are plenty of other rifles and pistols I have to shoot until I get this thing figured out

Thanks so much for the reply!
Sorry I didn’t have the solution you needed. I’m sure someone here will know what’s happening

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

What am I doign wrong?

Thanks
Do you have a go/no go gauge? Ive had this issue before with other dies and calibers - it turned out that one die that finally worked (a Whidden) was purposefully short chambered in order to avoid this issue. I found out that one die the chamber of the die was too big - I put a no go gauge in the die body and the things was less than .125 which is the size of a shellholder. This meant that the die was way too big - it was a Redding type S die. I sent it to them and they sent me a new one back because that one was out of spec but found the shorter Whidden to work much better. Anyways - no solution but having a gauge to put in the die and measure the die dimension will at least help you diagnose the issue. (If you have a gauge make sure its the same type your manufacturer or gunsmith uses - I learned that the hard way with a lot of grief during this die episode - I had a +.002 and the manuf used a +.004.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I had the same sort of problem with a different cartridge a number of years ago. What I did to fix the problem was to sand down the top of the shell holder so the die could accept more of the case. I put a piece of sandpaper ( probably 250 or 400 ) on a flat surface and placed the top of the shell holder on the paper and moved in a circular motion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same sort of problem with a different cartridge a number of years ago. What I did to fix the problem was to sand down the top of the shell holder so the die could accept more of the case. I put a piece of sandpaper ( probably 250 or 400 ) on a flat surface and placed the top of the shell holder on the paper and moved in a circular motion.
This wasn't a 7mm Remington mag was it I've had this very problem

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This wasn't a 7mm Remington mag was it I've had this very problem
The cartridge I had this sort of problem with was a .22-250. I was able to reduce the height of the shell holder and push the shoulder of the case down to where it needed to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
About 5 years ago I had that problem with an AR10 308 win. I put my die in the vise .015" sticking up and used my file to meticulously file it down. My girlfriend asked me if I put my name on all of my tools, I asked why? She said it said "bastard" on it.... hahaha! I've been reloading for 38 years, I only filed a die once, ever. It works real good now.

·
Registered
813 Posts
About 5 years ago I had that problem with an AR10 308 win. I put my die in the vise .015" sticking up and used my file to meticulously file it down..........
This is what I'm not getting. You run the fired case up into the resizing die until the top of the shellholder contacts the bottom of the die..... And that's it, you're there. I've been reloading for 3, .300 Win. Mag. rifles for the last 50 years, and I've never had any type of issue like this in any of my rifles. I don't understand any of this "overcamming" the OP is experiencing?

If the shellholder is contacting the bottom of the resizing die on the upstroke of the press, and your rounds won't chamber, it has to be either the die or the shellholder that is the problem. You should not have to file on dies and / or shellholders in order to get the correct headspace. The first and easiest thing I would do is try another die and shellholder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts