Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at loading the Hornady 250 gr A-Tip for my 300WM, just to try a heavy. I have H1000, would this still work for this size bullet? I’m just starting to dig for info. Any help would be met with gratitude.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Hodgdon only lists up to a 230grn bullet with the 300WM and H1000 but you could take that and work with it to find a 250 A Tip load. Hornady only lists the 300PRC and 250 on their site with a max load of 76grns and starting of 67.6. Obviously don;t use that data as it's for a different cartridge but just mentioned it to give an idea. It's tough to load for a combo with no loads listed. Have done it before.

ETA You could always try and give Hornady a call. They might have a starting point for you.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I’d give the powder company a call. They probably have an algorithm that takes into consideration case volume and bullet weigh to get you started.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m settling on the Berger 220 gr Hybrid Target. I’m going all out on that one. I’ll post results when I finally get around to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Remington SPS Long Range in .300WM and the 1:10 twist barrel is just on the limit for 230 gr Berger Hybrids, I would think a 250 gr would need a 1:9 twist to stabilize.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have a Remington SPS Long Range in .300WM and the 1:10 twist barrel is just on the limit for 230 gr Berger Hybrids, I would think a 250 gr would need a 1:9 twist to stabilize.
I had a Remy 700P in 308 with a 1-12 twist and I was able to hit out to 1K yds with a 175SMK. I'm surmising that the 1-12 stabilized the pill enough to get me out to 1K. I suspect that 1-9 would be better but give it a shot with what you got.

Curious, did you call Hodgdon powder folks? if so what did they say. I've got a 300NM that would probably like a 250gr pill.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a Remy 700P in 308 with a 1-12 twist and I was able to hit out to 1K yds with a 175SMK. I'm surmising that the 1-12 stabilized the pill enough to get me out to 1K. I suspect that 1-9 would be better but give it a shot with what you got.

Curious, did you call Hodgdon powder folks? if so what did they say. I've got a 300NM that would probably like a 250gr pill.
I did not call. I’m dropping back to 220-225 gr.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hysteria There seems to be a trend toward heavier for caliber bullets reaching out farther then their lighter counterparts. I'm a bit lazy so I try to find the bullet that reaches out the farthest and I stick with it so I don't have to mess with scope adjustments and different range card info. Pretty sure that there is a diminishing returns to a factor when it comes to bullet weight where the increase in bullet weight decreases the effective range of the caliber in question. Don't know where that is for the 300WM but I have read here were guys were getting good results with 200gr Sierras in 308's. I suspect your 300wm should be able to go heaver since you're moving the same bullet about 300FPS faster if you're shooting a 150gr as a baseline comparing apples to apples. Just a thought.. I'm curious what a 250 would do in a 300WM..

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I always shot 208/210 weight bullets in my 300WMs. Got good velocities and BC. I would try the 225s now if I still had it but I don't. I do shoot the 180 ELDs in my 7mmRM though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts