Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well
I have taken the first step in building myself a tactical rig. I purchased a 2nd hand Remington 700 BDL.I came across a bargin at the local gun shop that I could not walk away from. The Rifle appears to have been barely used.

I am leaning towards a H-S precision stock but before I order the stock I need a little advise on the barrel contour. H-S offers a Tactical stock for a Varmit Contour barrel as opposed to its standard contour stocks in various styles. :shock:

I would any advice on which way I should go considering the barrel length will be 26"

Mele, is the light target contuor on the SC1 project rifle considered a varmit contour?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Barrel contour, stiffness, length, and weight are interrelated. Accuracy is NOT the issue with a barrel over 18-20 inches long. If you are humping said rifle around the bush for days to weeks on end, you may well want to seriously consider a shorter, but slightly heavier contour. If you are going to be primarily stationary, then long and big is not a problem.

The main benefit to a longer barrel is increased velocity from the same powder charge. (you MAY be able to use a slightly slower burning powder with a longer barrel). Some say 25-40 fps for each additional barrel inch over 22-24. inches A chrony will give you the exact numbers, but there is a noticable difference between velocities seen from a 22-24 inch barrel versus a 26 inch barrel. My 26" PSS gives me between 50-75 fps higher velocity than my A-Gunners 24" Remington 700VS, using the same lot of Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo.

The tradeoff is weight and stiffness for the barrel.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mele, is the light target contuor on the SC1 project rifle considered a varmit contour?
No, it is a standard contour. Here are some links to different barrel manufactures with thier contours listed. However, there are different types of standard contours, and the choice is important.

You can also sketch out your own contour on paper and send it to any reputable manufacture and have them create a barrel like it (for a higher price).

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/contour_data_lilja_precision_rifles.htm
http://www.shilen.com/contours.htm

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Varmint contour is "usually" heavy with a slight taper to it. There is no single way it "has" to be. The #6 Light target on the SC1 COULD and probably be is considered a varmint contour by some. HS can probably tell you if a specific contour from a specific barrel manufacturer would work

MEL

·
Registered
340 Posts
Since said rifle is to be a .300 WM, you would probably be well advised to go with the varmint stock and, consequently a heavier varmint barrel, as the extra weight afforded by the wider diameter will lessen recoil and minimize flinching. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts