Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be purchasing a winchester m70 super shadow in 300WSM and was wondering if this cartridge is capable of 600 yard hunting accuracy? I plan on getting the receiver and bolt face trued, then the barrel will be cryo-treated. Can i get some trajectory tables for this load?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
hey Vin007... and welcome to the SniperCentral forums.

The caliber is deffinitly good at 600 yards for hunting... thats what it was designed for. :) Ill look up some trajectory tables for it and get back to you... but ultimatly it depends on the ammunition and lenght of barrel you choose.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I am contemplating adding this cartridge to the cartridges page on snipercentral.com. Its still growing in popularity

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

What are the .300 WSM case measurements (mm's)?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Here it is in inches

Just multply all those numbers by 25.4 to get them in mm's.

i.e. the length of 2.100" is 53.34mm

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Is that with 2.1 inches being the equivilent of the 45 in 5.56x45? Or is the 45mm the equivilent to 1.664?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
2.100 is the equivalent of the 45, I think

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yimmy said:
Is that with 2.1 inches being the equivilent of the 45 in 5.56x45? Or is the 45mm the equivilent to 1.664?
1.664 inchs = 42.26mm's
1.802 inchs = 45.77mm's
2.100 inchs = 53.34mm's

BC

·
Registered
253 Posts
this might be a question for a new topic, but i'm planning on buying a "precision" rifle when i get back to the United States and the one i'm currently looking at is the FN SPR A1. what i can't decide is on what caliber. as of now i don't do any handloading and probably won't be able to start for a couple years. does anyone know of an ammunition manufacture that produces a 300 WSM "match" load? i'm hoping to get a rifle that will shoot out to 800-1000 meters/yards. just not sure if i'll be able to do that in a 300 WSM with hunting ammo. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hey Brian,

I checked out the net just to be a little more sure, but I don't think there are any match loads for the WSM...I know there are for Remington's version, the RSAUM, but I don't know what kind of lifespan that round is going to have. Armalite picked it up in the AR-10 T kinda rifle, but only because the WSM case wouldn't work, I think.

Anyway, I couldn't find any, but it wouldn't suprise me if anyone else here could lol.

Thanks for the service and come home safe dude

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hey Brian Phinney... welcome to the Sniper Central forums.

Personally... id rather go with the .300 Win Mag... you can get factory match ammo for it. Long range hunting ammo that is sniper grade accurate for the .300 Win Mag is not hard to find either... Lost River Ballistics makes excellent ammo for hunting wich is match grade. http://www.lostriverballistic.com/LRB/C ... cfm?CNum=4

If you are looking for a nice rifle... check out the SC series of rifles found on this web site... Mel (the admin of this web site) is a retired Army Sniper and he makes the rifles. The SC rifles come with a .5 MOA group 5 shot garrentee with factory match ammo... and the people who own one of Mels rifles say it easily meets the .5 MOA garentee. Im thinking about ditching my current project (Winchester M-70 pre 64 in 300 win mag with a semi varminter barrel... ect ect.. ) and buying an SC1 in .300 Win Mag with a 25" #7 contour barrel... McMillan A5 stock... ect ect.

BC

·
Registered
253 Posts
thanks for checking for me muzzleblast. it wouldn't surprise me to see this load in the near future. i was just checking to see if it had hit the market already without me knowing. but who knows these days whats gonna be popular and what won't. i just don't wanna get stuck with a rifle that i NEED to handload to be "super accurate" at the ranges that i'd like to shoot and not have the time or money to get the initial start-up costs of reloading underway. i'm completely unfamiliar with handloading as of right now, so i don't even know what the initial start-up costs would be.

Thanks again,

SGT Phinney, Brian R.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You can get all the basic gear you need and supplies to make a batch of 100 rounds or so for around 130 to 150 dolors.

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
BC's got some pretty sound advice about both the SC1 and the 300 Win Mag...I don't think with a .5 MOA setup you'll really be missing out on anything by not having a short mag. I've shot 300 Win Mag Federal Gold Medal Match ammo out to 600 m (just for fun really, sporter rifle) and liked it. Anyway, as more tactical rifles hit the market chambered in WSM, you're right about there being a match round someday...and you're right about who knows when?

A good idea might be to hook up with someone at the range when you get home who could teach you about reloading, and maybe let you try with his gear...he could tell you the cost and you could decide if you like it.

Our reloading guru here goes by the name of Madgunsmith lol...If you have any questions, post em on the board and you'll get answers.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Im also quite proficient with hand loading... been doing it for 9 years now. If you have any questions just post it in the ammo/ballistics section.

BC

·
Registered
5 Posts
my dad and I have hit pop cans with a our .300 WSM out to 900 yds. It is a Kimber Model 8400 Montana. I would definitely say it is capable of the accuracy, if you know how high to aim or the MOA's to raise elevation

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Wow, cool...I had read of those ones shooting around .75 MOA but a pop can at 900 yards...thats like .2 moa. What loads were you using and what was the drop like? Wind must have been nasty trying to hit a target thats barely 3 inches wide at 900 yards.

Any more details on these shots?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the minutes written down here. We used a friend of our's Sierra computer program to give us an estimate on elevation figures, and all said and done, we had 22 3/4 minutes of elevation in. As for windage, we don't have those figures written down, but the wind was very minimal when we were shooting. We were shooting Winchester Premium ammo-180 gr. FailSafes and Ballistic Silvertips.

We have also hit the 1/2 size pop cans out to 400 yds, but have not tried them at any further distance. All in all I am extremely impressed with this gun and load. The barrel is a very light 24 in sporter and the guns total weight is only around 7 1/2 lbs. I'm anxious to try some of the other short magnum calibers soon!

If you're interested, we also shot at 725 yds. The elevation at that range was 15 minutes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts