Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well just wanted to say i got my very own .303 British Rifle.

Given to me from my grandfather which he kept for some time now.Reason why he gave this rifle to me was because he was feeling very sick and he knew he couldnt go out to hunt.

The sights havent been touch so it sure is dead on at a couple hunderd yards.No scope is added.There is no orignal stock but the stock that is on it right now was actually a home made stock, fits perfect and has lastest a long time.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that was my first post...hmmm...havent thought of selling it just yet.But just wanted you to know John lol

Sorry 'bout that.

I'll keep in touch to see what i would do but im thinking its best for me to just keep it :p

Later, Trev

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I was just messin with ya. Sounds like a nice rifle, its nice to keep those in the family. Do you have any pics to post?

John

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Thats awesome, Trev...Lee Enfields are super capable...Fastest bolt action ever and a great big game round. What kinda rifle is it, what sights does it have? The peep sight or the open U notch?

303 British has accounted for more big game here in Canada than anything else

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love mine. They are great rifles.
(And she shoots tight groups with Sierra MatchKings!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
well it was given to me and i didnt really geta chance to really get to know it.The sight is an open u groove, which wont move at all :wink:

I dont have any pics because i wasnt planning on posting it in any forums, i just came upon this site and started reading lol.

Well CrazedGunMan thats a very nice rifle you got too, mine aint as nearly as in good condition as yours but i could tell u that mine has been awhile for a loooooong time :) My Gramps never realy used the gun but he took it out once in awhile.My uncle told me he has had that gun for a long time but not too sure how long ago.

If i can i will try to get a decent picture of it when i get a chance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also i have one question...i have been thinking of adding a scope to my .303 but im not to sure which is the best basic choice for this rifle.Can anyone help me with this.thnx

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Droolin over that No4! Oh man thats a beaut!

Hmm...I used a B Square mount...kinda low budget...A good fixed power 4x scope would be great, but the profile is high.

If you want to get funky though, why not ty an XS systems scout mount and a LER scope? It mounts on the the rear sight if you have an SMLE and not the No4 like in the picture.

Neither requires permanant alterations.

My favorite 303 loads are the Remington 180 grain round nose and the Federal 150 grain spitzer

·
Registered
109 Posts
mele said:
Does anyone have a SMLE that looks like that one by the flag? That thing looks awesome! MEL
Yep, she's a nice rifle. She's totally stock, although I have glass-bedded the forearm-nose pressure-point.

With Sierra MatchKings she averages 1.5 inch groups, or slightly better, all day. I'll be working on some 123 grain .311 soft-points this spring for varmint shooting too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
very nice

Very nice rifle, here in new zealand where i live, every hunter seems to have a .303 rifle or has had one at some time. i have a No4 mk1* enfield, the ones that were most accurate were made into sniper rifles. a friend of mine in the army here has managed to get ahold of the No4 Mk1 T sniper version, ill have to direct him here so he can give u a review on it mele.

Anyhow i have shot wild boar with mine out to 120meters the only thing i find is that it is a heavy rifle to cart around hunting all day.But i think it is a good all around rifle.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hey :) :) another Kiwi!!! :D :D

I'm in Auckland Humdinger......your right mate this country is flooded with .303s and yet I've never owned one and only shot one twice.

Caver101's SMLE looks like brand spankin' new!...a real beauty!

I'm first in line for an un-fired No. 5 Jungle carbine......(mentioned somewhere here last year) ....... but it 's not as new looking as this one.

Caver101...is this a fully restored one?...new wood etc.??...very nice! 8)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Kiwi said:

I'm in Auckland Humdinger......your right mate this country is flooded with .303s and yet I've never owned one and only shot one twice.

I'm first in line for an un-fired No. 5 Jungle carbine......(mentioned somewhere here last year) ....... but it 's not as new looking as this one.

I wish it was mine!! I was just quoting anther post :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep, I like them too. Congrat's my friend! Getting it as a hand down from your Grandfather makes it even sweeter! :D

I have four Enfields.

A No.1 MkIII ( A G.I. bring home not molested with new serial no's. A beauty.)

No.4 Mk1 (Got it from Century arms)

No.5 Mk1 (Jungle Carbine, my favorite!)

L1A1 - if you think it can be included...almost!

Oh, go get yourself the bayonet. Spike or blood grooved blade.

Again, Congrats

·
Registered
152 Posts
Kiwi said:

HEY, i fort i was all alone in here m8. im in Rotorua, so its just a little drive for me to anywhere or anything i want to hunt. haha i have fored ALOT os the .303s No4 Mk18 No4 Mk1 T(that oughta get mel envious :lol: )
a jungle carbine, damn those things are loud with their lil muzzlebreak.

so what do u do up there in the big city anyway?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kiwi said:
Actually, it's mine.

It WAS brand new until I unwrapped it from the factory waxed-canvas a year or two ago. It's a Number 4 Mark II, made in 1954 at the Fazakerly Arsenal in Liverpool.

And as far as being heavy for hunting, I find that she carries very well. Nice and compact, and deadly accurate with factory ball and even more so with precision handloads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts