Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the .303 british could still be used as a sniper round. Just wandering because I have a Enfield no. 4 and and have taken 3 deer with it. Longest shot was 278 yards(range finder).

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think that the .303 British round is still a good round and the Lee Enfield that it is fired from is still a good rifle. I also think that the sniper-rifle varient of the Lee Enfield SMLE that was used during WW2 is odd as it seems to get more accurate the further out you go.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I've heard the same thing, AK...any idea why that is?

.303 British is one of my favorite rounds...but then again I have a lot of favorites lol...I would like to see what a minty P14 can do

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
.303 British is old now
everything ti does the 7.62*51mm NATO does much better
280y is a common hunting distance and a role the .303 British can preform just fine but its not near the demands of a sniper...
generally they want to get within 600-800m but need a rifle that can take shots much further if needed, the .303 British isnt nearly as fast, pushes a slower bullet at a slower velocity
also no modern tactical rifles that im aware of chambered in it

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Jeff, I checked out my ballistics charts after we talked...the specs for a 174 grain round ad 2400 odd feet per second weren't too good compared to a lot of rounds of today...I can see how it is obsolete now after the comparison.

Big Jake, what Jeff_850 said is true, I can see a lot of situations where it just wouldn't be good enough. Such as with only part of a target visable at 6-800 M....say just a head or a crouching man...or shooting into some wind or such

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yea muzzleblast is right about that
also what if you need to go a bit further
i'd be alot more comfortable taking a 1000y shot with a .308 than i would a .303 Brit
hell im sure there are a few people here who will tell ya the .308 isnt made for 1000y even

1 - 6 of 6 Posts