Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and am looking at the Remington 700 LTR. I am wondering about the loss (fps) from going to a 20" barrel from the 700P 26" barrel.
Any other thoughts about the LTR would be great.
I have a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 to put on it.
The gun will be for target shooting out to........well, however far she will shoot.
Thanks, Pete

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
As ballpark figure, you will lose about 100fps, perhaps a bit more or less. It depends a lot on what ammo you are shooting.

The LTR is a nice rifle, there is a bit more muzzle flip in recoil than the 700p, but its also accepted by the remington LE folks as being the more accurate of the two (this will generate debate). Of course, they are so close that its not really something quantifiable based on the variables.

I like the stock on the 700P better, as its a bit thicker in all areas and more comfortable to ME.

MEL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My number one goal is accuracy. Sounds like the LTR might be the one. What would you guess it is good for, (with the right ammo)600-700yards?
I think most shooting will be between 200 and 500 yards, but just wondering what the LTR will do(considering I do my part!)
Any ideal what a fair price would be. I saw them under $800 at Impact guns on line
Thanks, Pete

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Mel...I enjoy the palm swell on the 700P, and it fits me better overall.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
700 LTR and 700P are great rifles. The 20 inch barell on the LTR is alot more suitable for LE Snipers as they dont usually engage over 100 yards and are alot lighter. The 700P is more suitable for longer range shooting. I have a 700P in .308 and a 7mm Rem Mag and like them both alot. My dad has an LTR in .223 and that is also a good firearm. In terms of lost velocity, Mel is pretty much right on at being around 100 FPS. I have a friend who has been able to hit a target out to 800 yard with an LTR in .308 and hes one HELL of a shot. It all depends on how far you wish to shoot the gun and how often you will be using it. Both are great in my opinion, so i dont have one preferrence over the other. The mission or need dictates the weapon.

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys! I do have two more questions. What is the difference between the LTR and the PSS? Also, I like to shoot my guns and plan to put many rounds though any rifle I get, so, what is the barrel life of a .308 LTR? Most likely I will be shooting factory rounds.
Thanks, Pete

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Obvious difference is that the LTR has a 20" vs 26" barrel, and the barrel on the LTR is fluted (non traditional flutes though). The stock on the LTR has a shorter forearm, has a thinner and not as tall forend, and does not have a palm swell like the P. The stock in general has been slimmed down for weight savings.

thats about it. It just so happens that .308's like shorter 20" barrels (tac ops swears by this, as do others) so the LTR "tends" (not always) to be slightly more accurate than the P.

If you are going long range, go with the P, short to mid range, the LTR does fine

MEL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts