Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what 308 ammo people were useing off the shelf. I just picked up a sako trg 22 and I have never used 308 ammo before and was wondering what was the best out there for long range. Thanks for the help.

Josh

·
Registered
994 Posts
Try a search: there are a number of threads on the first page in the proper forum.

Welcome to the boards.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search about the ammo. Came up with a few things but I was just wondering what most people were useing.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The only out of the box ammo I use is Fed. GMM 1682 or 175, other than that its my handloads.

JeffVN

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I would say a majority of people use federal GMM. Here is a list of some ammo that I use:

Federal GMM 168 & 175
M118
M118LR
PMC Match 168
Black Hills 168 & 185 Match

I've also recently tried the PMC 308D 168 FMJBT (non match), and it was junk.

I'll also soon be using some Lapua

MEL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I went out looking and found a gun store that was going out of bissness. So there ammo was on sale. I picked up a few different brands to try out. But I think I am going to order some black hills 185gr match and try to.
Here is what i picked up to day
FED.gold match 168gr.
hornady BTHP match 168gr.
hornady 150gr. sst
frd. 150gr. nosler ballistic tip

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I had a question, and since this is about 308 ammo anyway it seems like a good place to ask...Should I move this to Cartridges and Calibers, Mel?

Anyway, my question...168 grain ammo from a 308 or 30-06 only runs into problems once it starts to go subsonic, right? is that why it isn't as good as the heavier match ammo?

You bought some great ammo, O.S.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i should have posted this in the Cartridges and Calibers

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Muzzle,

Yes, this probably should be moved to cartridges and calibers. I'll let you move it so you can get practice :wink:

In terms of the 168 Sierra. Yes, its a problem when going transonic which happens somewhere between 600-800 yards (depending on environment conditions). Now, this is mainly attributed to the steeper 11 degree taper boattail which causes airflow seperation. This taper is at 9 degrees on their 175gr. Now, because the hornady 168gr and lapua 167gr are completely different designs, I do not believe either of those bullets suffer the same problem. Its specific to the sierra 168.

MEL

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Mel,

are you therefore saying Hornady 168gr and Lapua 167gr will stay super sonic further out than Sierra 168gr? and if so, how much further?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Kiwi said:
are you therefore saying Hornady 168gr and Lapua 167gr will stay super sonic further out than Sierra 168gr? and if so, how much further?
Well, no, thats not what I was saying. The problem is not that the bullet goes transonic, the problem is that the design of the bullet causes instability when it goes transonic. The other two bullets are a different design and probably (I do not know for sure) do not suffer the same problem. There is usually no problems with bullets going transonic and then subsonic, its usually not that big of a deal.

But, since you asked, in standard atmosphere, here are the ranges the bullets will go transonic (1600fps) when launched at 2600 fps. The transonic layer starts at about 1600fps and goes down to subsonic, which is about 1000fps. So, here are the ranges when the bullets meet that transonic layer.

sierra 168gr Matchking - 600 yards
hornady A-Max 168gr - 615 yards
lapua 167gr Scenar - 610 yards

As you can see, they all hit transonic layer at about the same distance. The difference is in the boattail design of the bullet. They do not go sub-sonic till about 1200 yards.

MEL

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hm..

With a Sako rifle..why not use the ammo Sako (as far as I've been told) test their rifles with...Lapua. I've been recommended the 155gr Scenar by a friend, haven't had the time to test it yet. But with his handloads he shot a 19mm five round group at 300m with his "ancient" Mauser. All in all, he's been shooting .25MOA groups with that old beast of a rifle and Scenar 155grs...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the sako trg 22 out to day and shot for about 30 min. before they closed. This is the first 10 shot with 168gr. Frederal match gold. This was at 100 yards. I will have it in a better group next time out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is a list of the "who's who"

Blackhills
Federal Gold Medal
Hornady
TTI
Corbon (Lapua Brass)
Lapua

All of these companies make top notch 308 ammo
I use them all to test rifles here