Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this has been covered a million times before. I have an ex mil Mauser originally chambered in 30-06 and re-barrelled in. 308. In either caliber and using factory loads or reloads, the action will jam closed until the action cools a little. Can anyone offer any suggestions on why and how to fix it please? Thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Probably over pressure in the chamber. Could be number of things but may be the chamber rimmed too short??? I guess.

What did your smith say about it when he re-barrelled it?

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
do you have a set of headspace gauges to drop in just to check?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gun plumber didn't suggest any problems with it....I don't have headspace guages but maybe I should get it checked. I live 8 hours from the nearest gun shop so I'm trying to figure these things out for myself.....with your help. Thank you,I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Most likely cause is too close a fit between bolt nose and barrel/chamber. If it was a true case of too little headspace issue you wouldn't be able to close the bolt on fresh rounds, especially factory.

As you shoot both the barrel and the bolt heat up and expand toward each other. Lack of clearance on the bolt nose can cause it to lock up.

Make sure there is no crud buildup on the end of the barrel or bolt nose. Then take a marking pen and blacken the end of the bolt, let the ink dry, then close and open the bolt a few times. Remove the bolt and look to see if the ink has been scuffed off where it could contact the barrel. Not exactly sure what the clearance spec is for mauser styled actions but I run ~ .005" on my Remingtons. If the bolt closes easily with no contact when closed, put a piece of "Scotch Tape" on the end of the bolt, trim around the edges with a razor blade, then see if the bolt closes. If it drags, IMHO you don't have enough clearance.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Had the same issue with a 700. In that case it was a front action screw that was a too long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
deadshot2, I had a look at the bolt face after your advice....before doing anything else with it. I took a couple of photos and if you close one eye and poke your tongue out the corner of your mouth the right way you can see definite scuff marks. What do you think? Can I fix this myself or is it a more specialized job above my pay grade?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Commercial ammo or handloads? Any difficulty in closing the bolt? Rebarreled in 308 - what chamber? CIF or SAAMI? Are there any marks on the head of the case when you do extract it? The reason I'm asking all these stupid questions is that I hade the same problem with a new barrel in 308 a couple of years ago with handloads - Norma case, Hornady 168gn ELD-M's, 45.5gn 2208 powder (same as 4895/Varget), hard to lift the bolt handle with lots of leverage with a Millennium (RPA style) 4 lug bolt - eventually pulled the head off a case! Went to Lapua cases and dropped the load to 45gn and all is good. Lapua case slightly harder and slightly more volume helped too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Probably over pressure in the chamber. Could be number of things but may be the chamber rimmed too short??? I guess.

What did your smith say about it when he re-barrelled it?
I think you have headspace problem. The action cools off to release the shell , Heat expansion of the shell take up the clearance between bolt and case rim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts