Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing a ladder test with my 308 178 hornady match 178gn hpbt, gold metal small rifle primers, lapua pulma cases, and imr 4064 powder. I'd like to know where to start and stop for my loads, just so I don't have a bunch of bullets to pull left over, they will be in 0.2 grain increments. Also I'd like to shoot two bullets the same load on the ladder instead of one.

What's everyone's loads for accuracy and nodes using this powder/billet combinations. Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dan Newberry has a recipe in his OCW page at 41.5gr. You should read up on OCW test vs ladder test. I've shot lots of ladder tests for my 308, and unless you shoot multiple ladders to verify the results, it isn't as accurate as the OCW.
You can always shoot a pressure ladder and color your bullets with sharpie so you know what hit where. You may get an idea of what looks like an accuracy node to start load development from.
I can post a pic of a target I shot at 200yds where I had 2x 5 shot groups around 1/2moa, and other groups with 3 in a cluster and 2 outside the cluster by a good bit. That is why the ladder isn't accurate unless you are shooting 5 shot groups and at that point, you should probably just shoot a round robin OCW.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have a look at the attached pic. I could have easily been fooled by the top centre and top right groups where 3 land in the cluster, but 2 out of the 5 fall out of the group. Apologies for the splatter, I obviously had a really good backstop. Case in point, 5 shot round Robbin groups will show you what is really going on.
IMG_4270.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a look at the attached pic. I could have easily been fooled by the top centre and top right groups where 3 land in the cluster, but 2 out of the 5 fall out of the group. Apologies for the splatter, I obviously had a really good backstop. Case in point, 5 shot round Robbin groups will show you what is really going on.
View attachment 24730
Thanks Donnie, I'm new to this forum, where do you go to read on dan new berry

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
https://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/load-development

Here's a great article to read through before you jump into any development. The first part it talks about is finding a max pressure. Since your charting into somewhat unknown waters, this would be the way to go.

I'm running IMR4064 with the 178 Amax, soon to be ELDs. My starting charge was right around 40.5 grains. You should be able to run up to about 43-44 grains before seeing pressure, and your node will likely be right in the 42 grain area. Again do a pressure ladder first to find your max charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
https://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/load-development

Here's a great article to read through before you jump into any development. The first part it talks about is finding a max pressure. Since your charting into somewhat unknown waters, this would be the way to go.

I'm running IMR4064 with the 178 Amax, soon to be ELDs. My starting charge was right around 40.5 grains. You should be able to run up to about 43-44 grains before seeing pressure, and your node will likely be right in the 42 grain area. Again do a pressure ladder first to find your max charge.
Thank you, that was very helpful!, lots to read too!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Load Development :: Primal Rights, Inc

So the 41.3 gr of IMR 4064 behind a 178 gr ELD-X which Hornady manual says is MAX load would be safe in a Rem 700- R5? I am going to retain factory COAL, federal and Hornady brass and federal 210 primers. Just need to duplicate factory MV and have a stable powder from ~ 30 F to 130 F

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you set your goals regarding temperature and powder stability, you might want to look at this article.

Thank you very much. Sad to see that IMR 4064 was not listed. It's what I use 4064 in the 308 and H1000 in the 300 Win Mag. Oh well, I think I will be fine since 99% of my shooting is between 40F and 109F. Now I have to develop a load that gives me factory MV with Factory COAL and I'll be happen especially since I am not reach out more than 1000 yards for now with either rifle.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Here is hodgdons burn chart

If you notice 4064 is very close to 4166 as far a burn rates. If you’re looking for a powder that might test very well in a variety of temperatures try 4166.

The thing is if you’re doing your load development and you find a wide accuracy node, during temperatures that approximate most of those you expect to shoot in, and you pick the powder weight in the middle, youll have a little room to play with temperature changes before you get out of the node. The thing is with that much of a temp swing, you probably won’t be shooting bug holes, but you might be close enough to get it done.

Let the paper tell you what you need to know as far as the change in POI due to temperature change. You might be surprised because most ballistics apps allow you to make adjustments for temperature variations from the zero environmentals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts