Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Hum, could be opening up a bunch of other questions, but I'll let Mad and some of the other reloading experts comment

MEL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Predrider,

To find out what powder will work best, for what application are you hoping to use the 168MK's for. Long range?,short range?, glass work? What are your goals?
Details are key.
The other question is what are you shooting. What action?, What barrel and length of barrel. Is it a factory stock rifle or did you have a gunsmith build it for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we are both skooting savage m10s with heavy barrels. will be shooting all the way from 100yds to 1000. just need some ideas on what you guys think. 26 in barrels. thanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I vote for IMR-4064.

This load is straight from the IMR website:

168 grain Sierra, 42.5 grains IMR-4064, overall length of cartridge 2.755". Remington brass.

I would use Federal Match primers.

Mad

·
Registered
611 Posts
308 reload

personally I like Varget as do a lot of long range shooters here in texas, that I have spoken to at the 1000,yd range near Waco

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
IMR 4064 by far... as far as actual load data for a 168... im not sure i dont shoot 168's :)

I would suggest :

42.5 grains of IMR 4064
Sierra 175gr SMK's
WLR Primer / Federal Match Primer / CCI 200 LR Primer
Match Grade Brass - Case trimmed to 2.015"
Oal 2.815"

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
IMR 4064 is fine powder, but if you live where it gets really hot, take care it is NOT teh most temperature resilient powder out there. In the temp extreme zones, Hodgden powders, like Varget do better as they resist teh heat a bit better.

JeffVN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts