Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

921 - 940 of 1013 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok when loading a bullet longer to reach the lands what would you consider as the minimum amount of case neck grip?

·
Registered
2 Posts
GS CUSTOM 155g SOLID BULLETS

Good morning and greetings from Virginia

New to this site and am looking for some assistance.

I have a Sako actioned .308 which was sent to Rob Vestal for some love. It now sits in a McMillan stock with a Brux 24" barrel.

I want to load up some South African GS Custom 155g solid bullets. (Before anyone jumps all over me, these are very well respected in the PH community in SA). Has anyone on this site any experience with loading these? If so, would you be kind enough to assist?

Thank you

Nobby

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good morning and greetings from Virginia

New to this site and am looking for some assistance.

I have a Sako actioned .308 which was sent to Rob Vestal for some love. It now sits in a McMillan stock with a Brux 24" barrel.

I want to load up some South African GS Custom 155g solid bullets. (Before anyone jumps all over me, these are very well respected in the PH community in SA). Has anyone on this site any experience with loading these? If so, would you be kind enough to assist?

Thank you

Nobby
Hi, I just joined this forum. I have some experience with 155 gr. SMKs out of a Swedish Mauser sporter. 43 gr. of either Ram Tac ot Viht 140 seem to give the best results. These launch at 2,700 fps out of my 1:10 22" barrel. I'd like to hear from anyone using 175 gr. Nosler RDFs as to what powder works best for them. Regards!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, I just joined this forum. I have some experience with 155 gr. SMKs out of a Swedish Mauser sporter. 43 gr. of either Ram Tac ot Viht 140 seem to give the best results. These launch at 2,700 fps out of my 1:10 22" barrel. I'd like to hear from anyone using 175 gr. Nosler RDFs as to what powder works best for them. Regards!
I am using ArComp 41.0 grains BR2 primer Peterson brass Rem 700 11.25 twist 24" Barrel also same load in a Ruger Precision 20" Barrel 1 in 10 twist.

·
Registered
479 Posts
41gr of H4895 or IMR4895 do me really well across multiple projectiles in the 175 to 180 gr range

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Went to the range yesterday and shot a couple of ladders for my new .308 build. this was the second round narrowed down from the first .5 grain ladder. I didn't shoot the last load in each string because I had already found that the original bests, 41.9 and 43.9 grains were still the best. Before I left, I decided to shoot the last loads anyway. Since I had already proved the loads, I was relaxed and not trying to do everything perfectly correct. I just relaxed and eased and squeezed. Well the shots felt good, and they were. Just shows what pressure can do to you shooting. Just relax and send it. The center shots were the ones I didn't care about and relaxed. .308-5.jpg .308-4.jpg

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Went to the range yesterday and shot a couple of ladders for my new .308 build. this was the second round narrowed down from the first .5 grain ladder. I didn't shoot the last load in each string because I had already found that the original bests, 41.9 and 43.9 grains were still the best. Before I left, I decided to shoot the last loads anyway. Since I had already proved the loads, I was relaxed and not trying to do everything perfectly correct. I just relaxed and eased and squeezed. Well the shots felt good, and they were. Just shows what pressure can do to you shooting. Just relax and send it. The center shots were the ones I didn't care about and relaxed. View attachment 27524 View attachment 27526
FYI I use the same targets and I put a 1/4" dot in the center of each of the 5 bullseyes. For me it really stands out and 100yds. It tightened up my groups..... Aim small, hit small.. Just my .02

·
Registered
73 Posts
Martino1: I usually use 1" Rangemax dots on cardboard after I find a good load. That is why I didn't use the center targets on the first round. Too much target to aim at. I use them testing loads because the holes stand out against the white. I sometimes use the 1" dots on these targets in the centers an between the printed targets. I use 1 1/2" dots at 200 yds and 2" at 300yds. They all have 1/4" black centers and bright orange bodies. Good idea, Thanks for the .02.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Bew
I use a blue sharpie for mine. I write down the load numbers on the target and with the sharpies the 1/4" tip I can easily read the load number at 100. Makes quick center dots too. I use 1/4" dot for load development and target shooting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Meanwhile , back at the ranch, I just got a shipment of 175 .305 SMKs and 69 gn .224 SMKs from Brownells. I've read a lot on the back pages of this thread and it seems that somewhere around 43 grains of Varget for 175 SMK is a good starting load. I will start on the low side of 43 and work up. Sierra lists 41.7 as max on the 175 SMK for Varget. I se some pet loads all the way to the 45's, but I will start about 42.5. I still use the ladder method. Something about OCW just confuses me. It's not as much the shooting as the scoring. Oh, well, I think my old way still works. This is for my new Howa 1500 heavy barrel build.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Meanwhile , back at the ranch, I just got a shipment of 175 .305 SMKs and 69 gn .224 SMKs from Brownells. I've read a lot on the back pages of this thread and it seems that somewhere around 43 grains of Varget for 175 SMK is a good starting load. I will start on the low side of 43 and work up. Sierra lists 41.7 as max on the 175 SMK for Varget. I se some pet loads all the way to the 45's, but I will start about 42.5. I still use the ladder method. Something about OCW just confuses me. It's not as much the shooting as the scoring. Oh, well, I think my old way still works. This is for my new Howa 1500 heavy barrel build.
Do you have a chronograph? I’ve adopted the method of shooting my ladder over the chrono, and then charting all the speeds vs charges into Xcel. This saves me from having to shoot groups.

There’s a little more to it I can explain if you want to know.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes. I have a chrono. I just haven't been using it until I find the sweet spots so as not to interfere with the POI. n I have a Magnetospeed Sport and a Caldwell. The Magnetospeed is easier to use, but the Caldwell is better with data storage and handling. I have to set up the light bar on the Caldwell to accommodate varying light conditions, even when it just gets shady. The Caldwell app works well with my Ipad at the range and transferring the data to my computer. I could also just use a laptop at the range it I liked. The Magnetospeed Sport is a hassle to operate and hard to clear I know that they have offered a dingle that does a little to fix this, but not enough. I just wait til I have found my sweet loads and go to the Caldwell. I could have bought the high end Magnetospeed, But for a little more I could have had the LAbradar. Since our range is seldom crowded, that would be my expensive choice. But I digress, I would love to have a good spreadsheet to analyze my data. Does your chrono input directly into Excel and what chrono do you use?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
So here's the process I've been using. I've been doing this with a magnetospeed sporter, as well. Its very simple. The one thing about using this process is you need to be sure of your reloading practices. If you can't load consitant ammo, this isn't a good process for you to use.

1. Load up one round each for your ladder. .3 grain increments work pretty well.
2. Shoot each round over the chrono, don't worry about impact at all. Hell you could just blast the rounds into a dirt berm at 10 yards if you want. I write down the speed as I shoot each round, just so I don;t have clear anything or go back and search through the chrono.
3. When I get home I put my charge weights with their corresponding speeds into X-cel. (if you don't have x-cel or know how to use it Google has it or I'll gladly do it for you) When your loads are plotted you end up with a graph like this.

4. Now what I'm looking at in this chart are flat spots. As you can see there is two, a low at 41.1-41.4 and a high at 42.3-42.6. (I suspect there is another higher one up near 43.5, but I knew that I didn't want to run that high) These flat spots are your nodes.
5. Next I went ahead and loaded up 3 rounds each in charge weights of 42.1, 42.3, 42.5, and 42.7. I shot 3 round groups at 100 yards to proof my loads. I wanted to make sure I was in my node and that my first round of testing wasn't just a mistake. All my groups feel right into a half MOA size. I knew this meant I was in my node no doubt. I ended up choosing 42.5 because it was one of the better groups and I knew I wanted a little more speed.

Thats where I stopped. That load has been great for me and my expectations of shooting. I can ring steel with that load at too 100o yards pretty damn consitantly. You can take it a step further and play with seating depth or primers by shooting more groups as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think I see what you are doing. It appears that you are substituting the OCW rounds with one round of single shot velocities and then going to a ladder. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I think I see what you are doing. It appears that you are substituting the OCW rounds with one round of single shot velocities and then going to a ladder. Is that correct?
Kind of. Its more of a ladder test than an OCW.

What most guys call a ladder test, (shooting groups at 100 yards) is not a true ladder test. A ladder test should be done a minimum 300 yards. What you do then is shoot at one point of aim on a large piece of paper. Again shooting just 1-2 rounds of each charge weight. As your charges increase, your impacts will climb up the target (climb a ladder). What your looking for in this test is the flat spots in the climb. So if I had shot those same rounds as I have in my chart, as a ladder test, you would see the the 41.1 and 41.4 rounds very close vertically to each other and the same with the 42.3 and 42.6.

My second round of shooting the groups is more or less for me to prove I got the same results as I did by shooting only 1 round of each charge.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Kind of. Its more of a ladder test than an OCW.

What most guys call a ladder test, (shooting groups at 100 yards) is not a true ladder test. A ladder test should be done a minimum 300 yards. What you do then is shoot at one point of aim on a large piece of paper. Again shooting just 1-2 rounds of each charge weight. As your charges increase, your impacts will climb up the target (climb a ladder). What your looking for in this test is the flat spots in the climb. So if I had shot those same rounds as I have in my chart, as a ladder test, you would see the the 41.1 and 41.4 rounds very close vertically to each other and the same with the 42.3 and 42.6.

My second round of shooting the groups is more or less for me to prove I got the same results as I did by shooting only 1 round of each charge.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
So here's the process I've been using. I've been doing this with a magnetospeed sporter, as well. Its very simple. The one thing about using this process is you need to be sure of your reloading practices. If you can't load consitant ammo, this isn't a good process for you to use.

1. Load up one round each for your ladder. .3 grain increments work pretty well.
2. Shoot each round over the chrono, don't worry about impact at all. Hell you could just blast the rounds into a dirt berm at 10 yards if you want. I write down the speed as I shoot each round, just so I don;t have clear anything or go back and search through the chrono.
3. When I get home I put my charge weights with their corresponding speeds into X-cel. (if you don't have x-cel or know how to use it Google has it or I'll gladly do it for you) When your loads are plotted you end up with a graph like this.

4. Now what I'm looking at in this chart are flat spots. As you can see there is two, a low at 41.1-41.4 and a high at 42.3-42.6. (I suspect there is another higher one up near 43.5, but I knew that I didn't want to run that high) These flat spots are your nodes.
5. Next I went ahead and loaded up 3 rounds each in charge weights of 42.1, 42.3, 42.5, and 42.7. I shot 3 round groups at 100 yards to proof my loads. I wanted to make sure I was in my node and that my first round of testing wasn't just a mistake. All my groups feel right into a half MOA size. I knew this meant I was in my node no doubt. I ended up choosing 42.5 because it was one of the better groups and I knew I wanted a little more speed.

Thats where I stopped. That load has been great for me and my expectations of shooting. I can ring steel with that load at too 100o yards pretty damn consitantly. You can take it a step further and play with seating depth or primers by shooting more groups as well.
HEY that's pretty cool... that has gotten you to bug holes?? What about ES's. Even if you are in single digit extreme spreads, couldn't that lead you astray somewhat?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
HEY that's pretty cool... that has gotten you to bug holes?? What about ES's. Even if you are in single digit extreme spreads, couldn't that lead you astray somewhat?
No it hasn't gotten me t bug holes. I don't have the time or the effort to devote to chasing bug holes. ES doesn't matter in the first round of testing. You don't even look at it. Once you have your node and you pinpoint one charge you look at your ES and SD. Well at least I do.

921 - 940 of 1013 Posts