Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over 500 rounds my resizing die is still very tight. The last set was fine until I got a stuck case and tossed out the die. The new one came in a black box instead of green. Is that a different die? Anyone know?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sorry. Forgot to add, they are RCBS
Not sure if they are different, the few RCBS I have came in green, even the benchrest seater. What brass are you resizing? If its un annealed lake city, that stuff is tough to resize. If its bolt action i wouldn't fl resize unless you plan on using it in other rifles as well

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I bet your lube is the issue. What lube are you using?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if they are different, the few RCBS I have came in green, even the benchrest seater. What brass are you resizing? If its un annealed lake city, that stuff is tough to resize. If its bolt action i wouldn't fl resize unless you plan on using it in other rifles as well

It is LC un-annealed brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently the black case from RCBS is “sb” which stands for small base. It squeezes the case 1/1000 under SAAMI. So that may be my issue.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Apparently the black case from RCBS is “sb” which stands for small base. It squeezes the case 1/1000 under SAAMI. So that may be my issue.

Very well could be.. I do have a c ople small base, 1 for 9mm and 1 for ak

·
Registered
791 Posts
I use lake city m118lr brass for my PRS rifle and the RCBS Small Base die. I apply a good amount of Hornady one shot case lube and yes its tight, but works great. LC brass is strong brass, now federal brass (which my wife uses) is definitely easier and I use the same die for both (our chamber dimensions are very close)

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use lake city m118lr brass for my PRS rifle and the RCBS Small Base die. I apply a good amount of Hornady one shot case lube and yes its tight, but works great. LC brass is strong brass, now federal brass (which my wife uses) is definitely easier and I use the same die for both (our chamber dimensions are very close)

Oh ok. Great. Then it’s normal for it to be that tight. I just bought the regular ones. If I have no issues shooting them I’ll kee them. If I notice any feeding issues, I’ll go back to the SB. I haven’t had a single malfunction with the Tavor-7 with over 500 rounds and 2 cleanings. So if I see any issues I’ll go back to the SB

·
Registered
736 Posts
Makes sense. I didn’t think I all of a sudden I messed up the dies

I have to use small base on some of my lonewolf match barrels and a AR47 with a tight chamber. If I use regular dies, ill get a percentage that won't chamber to full battery

·
Registered
736 Posts

I noticed annealing lake city makes it much easier to resize.. not .sure if a small base would still be easier though

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed annealing lake city makes it much easier to resize.. not .sure if a small base would still be easier though

So for my 223, I’m running low on 62g. I’ve been shooting around 2 MOA (it’s a Dark Storm DS-15 in a 12” barrel with a 1:7 twist) at 300y very consistently. I have a bunch of 55g left. Will they shoot noticeably worse?

·
Registered
736 Posts
So for my 223, I’m running low on 62g. I’ve been shooting around 2 MOA (it’s a Dark Storm DS-15 in a 12” barrel with a 1:7 twist) at 300y very consistently. I have a bunch of 55g left. Will they shoot noticeably worse?
Likely they will shoot worse but you just never know until you work up a load for them

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:)

I’m hoping I can load Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers in a 223 round. I originally got them for 9mm (if you recall). The aftermarket primer prices are nuts. I have a lot of WSPM primers. But I’m out of Small Rifle Primers.

You think it’ll work?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I’m hoping I can load Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers in a 223 round. I originally got them for 9mm (if you recall). The aftermarket primer prices are nuts. I have a lot of WSPM primers. But I’m out of Small Rifle Primers.

You think it’ll work?

Small rifle are about 3.07 and pistol 2.97 on pistol heights, not much of a difference, I have used them in a pinch without any problems, ive heard others say pistol primers may not hold up to the pressures that rifles generate. So i.wouldnt be to worried but I would be cautious.. especially if in a gas gun

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small rifle are about 3.07 and pistol 2.97 on pistol heights, not much of a difference, I have used them in a pinch without any problems, ive heard others say pistol primers may not hold up to the pressures that rifles generate. So i.wouldnt be to worried but I would be cautious.. especially if in a gas gun

It is a gas gun. What does it mean “pistol primers won’t pulled up” I’ve heard that before. What does that mean?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts