Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Before I start putting together the pieces parts I'll be wanting on my rifle, I'm wondering what caliber I should go with. Any advice on the expense/performance of either round?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Wars have begun over .308 vs 30-06 and what is better. It breaks down to this IMHO.

The advantages of a .308 is that it is inherantly more accurate than a 30-06 but the diffrence is minimal for sniping. Match ammo is easly available. Less recoil than a 30-06. It comes in a short action thus the action tends to flex less than a long action 30-06.

The 06 has higher velocity but minimal until you use heavier bullets. The 06 handels heavier bullets much better than the 308 thus better ballistics for long range shooting. The 06 is a more versital cartrage than the .308 and handels a better range of bullet weights and powders than the .308. The .308 will do 90% of what the 06 will do, but that is not 100%

At the end of the day both are very good rounds and either will serve you well if a good rifle and shooter do their part. I prefer the 06, but would be perfectly happy with the .308. In fact match ammo is much easier to find in .308 than 30-06. Confused now?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
It is about the same price, however .308 match is much easier to find than 30-06, and there is no guarintee there will be 30-06 match in 10 years, but .308 will be around I am sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. I'm sure we'll be shooting lasers at each other in 10 years. I'll stick with .308 I suppose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I could buy Mossberg 308 I would. But now I am happy I have 3006.
Mel said 3006 is between 308 and 300 win mag.
If you don't need to carry bunch of ammo (war), go with 3006. You can even get close to 300 win mag! (Now I don't need to buy one more rifle)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The 30-06 shines with the heavier bullets (190 grain and above), and although it has more recoil than the .308, is not something that will puond you into dust by the end of a long range session - as compared with the 300 Win. Mag.

I disagree that the .308 is inherently more accurate than the 30-06. Some people have better results with the .308 because of the 06 recoil.

Almost to a man the Marine Snipers hated the move to the .308 in Vietnam - finding that it dropped their maximum effective range by over 100 yards. That having been said, I prefer my .308 to the 06, but again its only a question of recoil, not accuracy. It will be interesting to see how well-mannered my .280 (30-06 necked down to 7mm) turns out to be. That chambering was selected purely because of its ability to operate in the realm of 1,700 yards (yep one mile) and NOT require a muzzle break (that way I can use it in F-Class competitions at 1,000 yards.

JeffVN

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Great buy, those are one of the best mil surps on the market...would cost a bundle if made today.

If the barrel is in great shape, could be sub moa capable.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
Great buy, those are one of the best mil surps on the market...would cost a bundle if made today.
If the barrel is in great shape, could be sub moa capable.

maybe in like 40 years the m-24 wil be mil surp--thatd be so cool...i'd buy like 5........but itd only be good if they were replaced by other remmys!

dom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recoil is identical between .308 and .30-06, in that recoil is a function of bullet mass action and reaction. If anything, perceived recoil is less in the usually heavier 06 chambered rifles.
Those who perceive a heavier recoil from 06 are feeling the jet thrust, which can be effectively reduced by using proper loads of different powders.
The only scientific way to demonstrate the difference is by using the same make and model of rifle cambered in each cartridge and suspending the rifles from wires anchored in an overhead beam, then firing them with bowden cables. Firing the same bullet weight from each, when loaded for the same velocity, free recoil is virtually identical in both rifles. Try it, if you don't believe it.
Perceived recoil is subjective. After having fired her .25 Colt auto pistol, then firing a GM 1911, my wife informed me that the .25 has more kick. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i'll keep my 300 win mag an just suck it up when it comes to the beatings on my shoulder, besides - when, group shooting, do i plan on needing more than one well placed shot? i don't. especially when hunting, shot placement is the second most important thing, behind only marksmenship

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty much true. Group shooting will show how consistent your rifle is, but as long as you already know it is satisfactory for hunting, all that's really going to matter is the cold bore shot, like you said.

I'm good for 25-30 shots with the 300 Win Mag from a 10 pound rifle before I have to call it quits, how about you TX?

·
Registered
8 Posts
30-06 vs .308

well i hate to say it guys but the standard .308 has 2000 pounds more chamber presure in mill spec loads than the standard 30-06 and shoots alot flatter max penetration being at 600 yards. even though i hate to say it it even shoots flatter than my personal favorite the 8x57 although when it comes to knock down power at 1000 yards you cant touch the 30-06 or the 8x57 but i would take anyone of them to combat w/me though.
I once heard the OIC at the hathcock range in Camp lejuene say he would rather pack a .270 but i'll stick with a 198 grain 8mm round

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
How exactly does the 308 shoot flatter than a 30-06?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
yea, you may want to recheck your figures, the 30-06 shoots the same bullet as the .308, but at a highr velocity in all bullet weights.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the same weighted/shaped bullet in a .30-06 will shoot flatter than .308 period
differnt bullet weights you can take the most un-aerodynamic 220 gr hunting load which will anhilate a moose or something big and 155 gr palma loads in a .308 then yea a .308 will shoot flatter

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
+1 for Eka and Jeff.

308 is basically 30-06 Winchester Short Mag. Can just about match it with lighter bullets, but doesn't come near with the heavy stuff. The reason the chamber pressure is higher, if it is, is because the 308 has less case capacity, and thus higher pressure. I am sure 30-06 can be loaded to the same pressure as Mil 308 safely.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts