Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
I see the .308 as a little more versatile platform than a 6.5 that can better meet a person's needs who likes to target shoot, like out to 1000 yrds, AND hunts somewhat large game (where you can use more energy to bring them down quickly). The .308 typically comes in rather short barrels (like 20"), which also makes for easier packing around and getting into position when hunting. And if you're not into reloading, the .308 is easier to find factory ammo, more diverse ammo and cheaper ammo.

There's a lot a great things about the 6.5CM, particularly when it comes to long range shooting. But one really needs to carefully look at the intended use of a particular platform to determine if it really is better "in every aspect" than another.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I see the .308 as a little more versatile platform than a 6.5 that can better meet a person's needs who likes to target shoot, like out to 1000 yrds, AND hunts somewhat large game (where you can use more energy to bring them down quickly). The .308 typically comes in rather short barrels (like 20"), which also makes for easier packing around and getting into position when hunting. And if you're not into reloading, the .308 is easier to find factory ammo, more diverse ammo and cheaper ammo.

There's a lot a great things about the 6.5CM, particularly when it comes to long range shooting. But one really needs to carefully look at the intended use of a particular platform to determine if it really is better "in every aspect" than another.
... or maybe people should stop talking as if they are an authority on a subject when they are not.

308win w/175SMK @ 2700fps = 600yds = 1730fps, 1163 ft/lbs energy
6.5CM w/140berger @ 2750fps = 600yds = 1969fps, 1206 ft/lbs energy

The 6.5 Creedmoor is more versatile than the 308. This is not even open for discussion. The above figures shine the 308 in the best light possible, with 2700fps being extremely fast for a 175 and most rifles will not be able to do that... and it still loses.

·
Registered
551 Posts
... or maybe people should stop talking as if they are an authority on a subject when they are not.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is more versatile than the 308. This is not even open for discussion. The above figures shine the 308 in the best light possible, with 2700fps being extremely fast for a 175 and most rifles will not be able to do that... and it still loses.
Not speaking as an authority, but I do have personal opinions and reasons for them that can be taken for what it is. And I welcome anyone of authority (or otherwise) to correct me and explain.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Not speaking as an authority, but I do have personal opinions and reasons for them that can be taken for what it is.
Actually your post was very authoritative. It stated the 308 hit with more energy than the 6.5 creedmoor as quite matter of fact. Dead wrong, and there's not even an argument to be made.

You also stated that it's easier to find factory ammo, cheaper ammo, for 308... and that too is dead wrong. Match grade quality 6.5 creedmoor ammo is significantly cheaper than most offerings available for 308.

Now instead of apologizing for spreading ignorance, you try to change the reality of what you posted in some vane attempt to weasel out of the consequences of being wrong and attempting to mislead others. If they are your personal opinions that don't have any basis in fact or reality, perhaps you should keep them to yourself, personally? Have you any idea how many people I talk to on a weekly/monthly basis that have been mislead by posts like yours?

I wonder... do you ever get tired of saying things that are blatantly false? Isn't it exhausting trying to defend an indefensible position? During my self-imposed vacation from this site and its stupidity I have received links to a few threads from customers, and your name keeps popping up as a purveyor of false information. Well guess what? It's springtime. I have renewed vigor. Watching you and others mislead people has probably pissed me off more than enduring the baseless idiotic arguments from inexperienced people has.

Post after post, this describes the threads I've seen perfectly:

The wolf has returned, and this garbage stops now.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You also stated that it's easier to find factory ammo, cheaper ammo, for 308... and that too is dead wrong. Match grade quality 6.5 creedmoor ammo is significantly cheaper than most offerings available for 308.
Though I wasn't referring to just match grade quality ammo, is this also so for all factory ammo one can get for either caliber?

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Though I wasn't referring to just match grade quality ammo, is this also so for all factory ammo one can get for either caliber?
This forum discusses precision rifles, and its associated ammo. If you would like to compare bulk 308 FMJ's served in metal boxes from "bob's surplus" then 308 obviously has cheaper ammo available. Yet if you are considering precision rifle offerings... then yes, the 6.5 Creed has the cheaper ammo.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Glad you are back Orkan. Your actual experience and straightforward telling of it is nice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome back Orkan, I missed your knowledge and delivery of it.

As a self confessed long range and reloading newbee I found your articles a huge help. I only wish I was your side of the pond to attend a class.

Good to see you fully "recharged" ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by Orkan

Hornady Ballistics chart:

308win w/168gr ELD Match @ 2840fps = 500yds - 2029fps, 1535 ft/lbs energy
6.5 Creedmoor w/147 gr ELD Match @ 2695fps = 500yds - 2092fps, 1428 ft/lbs energy

This is from Hornady's Ballistic chart. They only take it to 500 yards.

I'm guessing that must be the distance where the 6.5 CM starts to excel and 308 diminishes?

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Hornady Ballistics chart:

308win w/168gr ELD Match @ 2840fps = 500yds - 2029fps, 1535 ft/lbs energy
6.5 Creedmoor w/147 gr ELD Match @ 2695fps = 500yds - 2092fps, 1428 ft/lbs energy

This is from Hornady's Ballistic chart. They only take it to 500 yards.

I'm guessing that must be the distance where the 6.5 CM starts to excel and 308 diminishes?
Most don’t use the 168’s, but yes they fall off fast past 500.

178’s are more standard for long range 308 with Hornady bullets. They are almost equal at 400 yards and the 6.5 surpasses them in energy by 500 yards (1337 vs 1428). At 600+ the 6.5 will have more energy than almost any 308 win bullet. Seeing as we are discussing long range precision and hunting and not short range ballistics, the above argument stands.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Hornady's numbers are tainted with marketing. 2840fps with a 168!?!? No wonder why I see customers/students with pressure problems when using hornady ammo.

We can play numbers all we want. I can give you numbers for a 30" 308 pushing 155's at 3000fps. Impressive. Yet that is not the discussion. All things being equal, the 6.5 creedmoor is better than 308 at basically everything.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
My personal load with the 178 Amax only puts down 1380 pounds of energy at 500 yards.

This is real world data right here. If someone has 6.5 info they’d like to post I’d love to see the real world comparison. That’s 1200 feet of elevation, 75*, 28 station pressure, 35% humidity. I gain a bit more as I go higher in elevation.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here is a pic from last week of my 308 against a 6.5cm. This is my highly modified stinky savage model 12 with 26" benchmark barrel, and a Tikka tac A1 6.5cm 24" barrel with a Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-25. I still love my vx2 6-18 AO target, even though I have a Tangent Theta and have used buddy's S&B. We are both 16 clicks elevation @300yds. Next week we will move out from 300 to 500, unless I bring my 300wsm.
IMG_7764.JPG
The ground was covered in ice for the longest time and I learned quite a bit about shooting fundamentals from having to shoot in what mother nature gave me. There is a huge difference in recoil when shooting on ice from the 308 to the 6.5cm. Even though I don't have a muzzle break, my rifle is usually very tolerable to shoot due to the weight. With the ice we had, when shooting, it felt like a 200 lb man was booting me in the shoulder. When I was shooting buddies 6.5, I could keep the rifle on target and I wasn't the slightest concerned about the recoil. The 6.5 recoiled like a popcorn fart on the shoulder lol. Buddy will probably upgrade to a bull barrel because he only gets 3-5 shots in before his barrel heats up. I can easily do 10-15 in 5 round strings before I'm the slightest concerned with heat.
I will say, 6.5cm quality ammo is still somewhat hard to find on shelf but this could be due to its popularity. Or you stingy Americans hogging all the ammo! Either way I was almost about to acquire a 6.5cm of my own, but I am enjoying becoming proficient with the 2 rifles I currently shoot.
We suspect buddy's 6.5 is about to start pulling away from the 308 any distance now, but without cronographing either rifle, we are just guessing. All things being equal, there is no argument, the 6.5 will outshine the 308.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts