Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am loking for good info for a .338 lapua savage 110 recipe i am using reloader 33 300 gr lapua bullets

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
If you don't know the answer to this question, you have no business shooting 338LM.
I have to agree. We get these questions from first time reloaders on .223 and .308. But if your loading for .338LM and can't figure out what to build your own load, you really shouldn't be loading for it.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Don't hold back guys.... Let the new guy have it. I got your point but the guy is asking for help.... If you've never asked a dumb question, keep blasting the new guy. Glass houses...

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
the guy is asking for help
He's getting it.

It has nothing to do with asking dumb questions. It has to do with trying to teach someone that's never drove before, to drive a 18-wheeler fully loaded with nitroglycerin instead of starting in a family sedan. Does that seem logical to you?

... and when's the last time you've seen me ask a question of any kind here?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Don't hold back guys.... Let the new guy have it. I got your point but the guy is asking for help.... If you've never asked a dumb question, keep blasting the new guy. Glass houses...
I personally don't want to be responsible for some guy blowing up his gun and face because I gave him a recipe that doesn't work in his gun.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

Don't be this guy ^^^

Is that a cleaning rod in the barrel? It is a little late for cleaning isn't it.

I wonder if the trigger was pulled with the cleaning rod in there. That would probably result in the above damage.

BTW-- I bet that was loud.

I don't want to be rude either...but if you don't know how to calculate seating depth for your particular rifle you really shouldn't be reloading for 338 LM...especially in the lightweight savage action. Why don't you learn the basics on a 308, 223, or something more forgiving...and with less catastrophic potential?

Reactions: 007Sniper

·
Banned
368 Posts
"BTW-- I bet that was loud."
Bahahaha You know this was loud as ****!!! If you were next to this jackass at the range I would be pissed!! Coulda killed himself or others. Thats why newbies don't play with the .338LM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gee man I am waiting for my savage 338 to arrive, it takes up to 90 days to get a license here and the gun stays in the shop till its issued.

I have been loading for my 243 and 30-06 for about a year now and just got a new batch of powder. I loaded up what was a really safe load with a previous batch (and verified with quickload) and blew a primer out of the case on the first round. I am truly grateful to have learnt that lesson on the 243 not the 338!

In South Africa we are VERY limited in our choice of powder. We only have one manufacturer. And lots can vary by 10%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
He's getting it.

It has nothing to do with asking dumb questions. It has to do with trying to teach someone that's never drove before, to drive a 18-wheeler fully loaded with nitroglycerin instead of starting in a family sedan. Does that seem logical to you?

... and when's the last time you've seen me ask a question of any kind here?
Greg not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to pursue their passion as a profession. You probably have more practical knowledge about precision shooting many here. I realize it's tough for a chess grandmaster to answer how does this chess piece move, but who knows that player might be inspired to accomplish with a nudge in the right direction.

A couple of guys here were nice enough to tolerate my questions and I feel as a result of their insights, I was able to skip a lot of trial and error by heading down a path that's a proven dead end. I believe I skipped over a bunch of wasted effort by asking questions I sure were asked before. Now I'm hitting targets at 1000 yds. Who'd a thunk it. Not me when I started.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
"BTW-- I bet that was loud."
Bahahaha You know this was loud as ****!!! If you were next to this jackass at the range I would be pissed!! Coulda killed himself or others. Thats why newbies don't play with the .338LM.
Heads up: Your potty mouth is going to get you tossed out of here with your back side skidding down the street. This forum isn't OK with it like others are.

Greg not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to pursue their passion as a profession.
What you call "fortunate" I call a choice. A simple choice. Everyone here could pursue their passion as a profession if they felt like it. Not my fault that they don't. ... and the fact they don't, doesn't buy them any currency with me when they don't know what they are talking about. You don't see me on plumbing forums giving advice on how to dislodge a turd.

Regarding the topic at hand, you seem to think I'm not helping the thread starter. I AM helping him. I absolutely am helping him. Asking questions like this is not even CLOSE to the realm of sanity for someone loading a 338LM. You don't pick up a 338LM to LEARN on, and ask these kinds of questions. You pick up a 338LM because it's "snipery as hell" and everyone knows you need a 338LM if you want to shoot long range. You pick up a 338LM and ask questions like this ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY when you do not know enough to be shooting a 338LM. That isn't open to interpretation or opinion. That is a hardened fact. You may not see it that way, but that's the way it is.

The ONLY way to help someone in that position is to get them to STOP going down the path they are on and get them to seriously and carefully re-evaluate their goals and their intentions in this sport. If you think that giving him a starting seating depth would be helping, you simply do not have the experience instructing that I do, and have no idea where that tiny bit of information can lead. I do. ... and if you start teaching people about this stuff for a living, you'll learn quickly to adopt the position that I've taken here. Once you've got some skin in the game, and you realize people's lives can be altered by the information you give, (good and bad) you'll learn how to save people from themselves... or at the very least not be involved in any way when they refuse to listen.

338LM kaboom's are no joke, and anyone that doesn't know how to find starting load data has NO BUSINESS, I repeat absolutely no business loading 338LM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well no thank you for your negative post and not even trying to help I am not a first time reloader for sure just looking for some info what clowns

·
Registered
888 Posts
Argggggg....

I don't think everyone is getting it. This is not about some one being utterly charming or being completely opposite way.

Some of them are actually sending you A MESSAGE. Please try to see a bigger picture and try not to get offensive about how they are expressing it.

We really are talking KABOOM... sort of speaking.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
well no thank you for your negative post and not even trying to help I am not a first time reloader for sure just looking for some info what clowns
Would you trust your life to some random info given out on a random forum from some random person that may or may not have ever even seen a 338LM much less shot one or loaded for one?

The info you are looking for had better come from trusted, published sources...not internet hear say.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
We're the clowns? Who is the guy that's first post was about what seating depth is good for an unknown rifle in 338LM?

Sorry you don't like blunt answers. But most of us aren't here to offer a safe space for your feelings.

Now think of how this would have gone had you asked this instead..."Hi guys I have a brand new Savage 338LM. It's chamber is XXX inches long. I'm going to build some test rounds for it using XYZ Bullet and ABC powder. What's a good amount of jump to start with?"

All we know is what powder and grain bullet your using. We're supposed to give you an complex safe answer off that? We're supposed to know that you have reloading experience from a question like the one you asked?

While firearms aren't my profession, I do give advice on how to do things for a living. I give the same response to people in real life like I just gave you. Do it right or don't use my product.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Greg not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to pursue their passion as a profession. You probably have more practical knowledge about precision shooting many here. I realize it's tough for a chess grandmaster to answer how does this chess piece move, but who knows that player might be inspired to accomplish with a nudge in the right direction.

A couple of guys here were nice enough to tolerate my questions and I feel as a result of their insights, I was able to skip a lot of trial and error by heading down a path that's a proven dead end. I believe I skipped over a bunch of wasted effort by asking questions I sure were asked before. Now I'm hitting targets at 1000 yds. Who'd a thunk it. Not me when I started.
You also asked in depth questions about basics before jumping into the deep end of the pool. You introduced yourself, we knew what you were looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well I can already see good people willing to help I am a very accomplished shooter and reloaded of many types off guns 6ppc 6.284to name a few and have very much luck in long range matches this 110ba is not so new to me just seems peopleuickly forget were the come it was a simple question m just looking for the starting point all my other riffles like to be jammed does the lapua like jump or jammed its a 110ba savage I have shot 40 rounds all 300g lapua very good success so don't talk to with disrespect I disrespect no one I can find wi3h a dummy round touching lands but I have heard they might like jump then no jump jammed lapua brass trimmed to length necks turned to perfection lenth primer holes ect ect ect 300 grs berger hybrid also scenars I hve 5lbs reloaded 33 red primmers I want 1000 yrd gun when done no problem my 6.5 .284 great 600 1000 gun well everyone seems to know so much were is it at

1 - 20 of 28 Posts