Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only time I have ever jammed the bullet into the rifling was a reduced load and it was to fire form a 243 win to an AI. I try to minimize jump based on how the rifle does but jamming them spikes pressure and as far as I know and what I have experienced is not good. There may be something new that I don't know but that's new to me. Good luck and I wish you good health.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Costa. I don't think anyone meant any disrespect. Clearly English is not your first language and your first question would have been completely acceptable had you been a member of this forum for some time and at least know a couple of the guys.

Clearly with 3 posts and a badly asked question you open yourself up to some abuse. The way you have asked the question in your last post would have had a completely different reaction and you may have got some good advice.

I am from South Africa and am quite new to long range shooting. I am waiting for my license to be approved for my 338 Savage 110. I joined this and a few other forums to get more info and to learn before I made a mistake.

I am on another forum gunsite.co.za and we had a different discussion similar to this one where a long time member of that forum told me that what the guys were doing is joining the forum and asking for a quickload "formula" and then blindly trusting some guy on the Internet to give accurate, safe loads. Apparently most of the guys now refuse to offer that info. ITS JUST TOO DANGEROUS.

I think that's what happened here so take no offense and the rest of the guys will make no apologies. Stick around and you will learn some really valuable lessons (this being one I think) and you I am sure will have some valuable input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you want to check the load in quickload they say you must add 7200 psi (I think that's what I saw will have to check) to the pressure. I wouldn't do that with the 338.

You probably wouldn't be able to jam the bullet into the rifling and still fit them into the magazine anyhow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wait a sec... you guys are IMPORTING savage 338LM rifles?!?!
Not personally .

In South Africa you have to apply for a license from the police. It requires a motivation for use and if they decide the motivation isn't strong enough they refuse the license.

Then you need police clearance i.e. no license if you have a criminal record.

All of this takes up to 90 days and in that time the gun sits in a gunshop. You can't sell a FA to someone you have to hand it to a gunshop they put it in their license and then you license it from there. Luckily the first part is instant.

I bought mine second hand from a mate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A little trepidation on jumping in here, but...

I read somewhere that the Savage 110 in 338 LM needs a bit shorter trim length on the brass. Have you guys seen this, and if so what's a good number?

Thanks!

Edit: This thread was sent to me in a group in an e-mail from SF, so I thought it was current... just now noticed it's old. :~(

21 - 28 of 28 Posts