Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This cartridge sounds like quite a barrel burner, but it sounded different enough to get my attention.

What ever came of the .375-50BMG? The most info I have gathered so far is that there were chambers made for a cartridge of this name. And that's about all I have gathered. No ballistic info anywhere or cartridge drawings.

Is it a full-length BMG case necked down, or somewhat shortened, like 416 Barrett?

I guess what stumps me is how any powder would be slow enough for 250 grains behind a .375 bullet. I can't imagine even the slowest commercial powder doing any good there. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, just what kinds of powders could be used to reload for such a cartridge?

If BMG powder is the slowest cannister powder, wouldn't even it be much too fast for the difference in expansion ratio, going all the way down to .375??

That is what got me, as I couldn't figure out how someone could actually reload such a wildcat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just read that ADI AR2218 = H50BMG.

I guess I get a little blurred attempting to compare the different expansion ratios and greatly different weights of the 375 vs 50 projectiles when assuming the powder loads. I know that due to the much smaller diameter on the 375, the pressure would be a lot higher as it starts with similar propellant amounts as 50BMG, if it were near those bullet weights. But then again, the weight is only half that of the BMG projectiles, so that is where the guesswork begins. I wish I had Quickload at this point.

Just for the sake of discussion, it seems there could be some usefulness available from the new 416 Barrett brass for a wildcat.

The 375-50BMG obviously never went anywhere, as I have never heard of anyone once using it for any competitive shooting. The reasons seem almost obvious to me.

The 416 Barrett seems interesting for the velocity it achieves over the BMG and Cheytac, while staying less than BMG powder loads. And on a similar note, the 375-408 Cheytac seems to be becoming popular as well--it appears for the great 375 bullets now available.

I think the reason we are hearing so much about the 375-408 is because it uses bullets near the optimal design, in my opinion. They are getting coefficients nearing around .94 at only 330 grains. 416 bullets are making claims around 1.0 BCs equally, with but heavier weights near 450 grains.

Now, think about this. The .416 Barrett case is 200 grains capacity, a good bump over the Cheytac, but a shortening below BMG. 375 diameter looks like the superior bullets, and they are not too far from .416 diameter, for which the case was designed.

Again, for the sake of discussion, now imagine a .375 bullet of 400 grains, put into the 416 case. The BC would theoretically be nearly 1.3, moving out at speeds a little less than 416 Barrett velocities. Probably 3200 FPS. That, in my mind, would make a 375-416 Barrett very intriguing for extreme-range use. Accuracy is developed in many ways, and faster isn't always better. But, we all know flight times and BC are key in varying wind conditions to limit the cross drift. So while of course it would be another barrel burner, just THINK about the flight times of such a wildcat...

Running some quick calculations, a 1.3BC 400gr at 3200FPS would get 2.47 second flight times to 2000 yards, vs 3.17 second flight times of 330gr 375-408 Cheytac at 2900FPS. Calculated wind drift at 2000 yards is 63" vs 114", in solid 6MPH crosswind.

All is purely theoretical, but on paper, a 375-416 Barrett sounds interesting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just read that ADI AR2218 = H50BMG.

I guess I get a little blurred attempting to compare the different expansion ratios and greatly different weights of the 375 vs 50 projectiles when assuming the powder loads. I know that due to the much smaller diameter on the 375, the pressure would be a lot higher as it starts with similar propellant amounts as 50BMG, if it were near those bullet weights. But then again, the weight is only half that of the BMG projectiles, so that is where the guesswork begins. I wish I had Quickload at this point.

Just for the sake of discussion, it seems there could be some usefulness available from the new 416 Barrett brass for a wildcat.

The 375-50BMG obviously never went anywhere, as I have never heard of anyone once using it for any competitive shooting. The reasons seem almost obvious to me.

The 416 Barrett seems interesting for the velocity it achieves over the BMG and Cheytac, while staying less than BMG powder loads. And on a similar note, the 375-408 Cheytac seems to be becoming popular as well--it appears for the great 375 bullets now available.

I think the reason we are hearing so much about the 375-408 is because it uses bullets near the optimal design, in my opinion. They are getting coefficients nearing around .94 at only 330 grains. 416 bullets are making claims around 1.0 BCs equally, with but heavier weights near 450 grains.

Now, think about this. The .416 Barrett case is 200 grains capacity, a good bump over the Cheytac, but a shortening below BMG. 375 diameter looks like the superior bullets, and they are not too far from .416 diameter, for which the case was designed.

Again, for the sake of discussion, now imagine a .375 bullet of 400 grains, put into the 416 case. The BC would theoretically be nearly 1.3, moving out at speeds a little less than 416 Barrett velocities. Probably 3200 FPS. That, in my mind, would make a 375-416 Barrett very intriguing for extreme-range use. Accuracy is developed in many ways, and faster isn't always better. But, we all know flight times and BC are key in varying wind conditions to limit the cross drift. So while of course it would be another barrel burner, just THINK about the flight times of such a wildcat...

Running some quick calculations, a 1.3BC 400gr at 3200FPS would get 2.47 second flight times to 2000 yards, vs 3.17 second flight times of 330gr 375-408 Cheytac at 2900FPS. Calculated wind drift at 2000 yards is 63" vs 114", in solid 6MPH crosswind.

All is purely theoretical, but on paper, a 375-416 Barrett sounds interesting.
Your on the same track as I was. And I would agree that at 190+ gr powder its to much . my line of thought over the last 8 or 9 years has lead my to the conclusion that what was needed is a purpose built cartridge 375/50 BMG wildcat . Introducing the new 2.007” 50 BMG case necked down to 375 caliber (007-375) a case capacity that’s between cheytac and416 Barrett 160ish depending on powder ,with a smaller that normal (50 or 416 primer )federal 215 large rifle magnum primer see at missionshootingsupplies.com. The beauty is that it uses same bolt face as 416 or 50 caliber so if you already have one of the above ,a easy barrel change and now your shooting a cartridge that was designed specifically for the great and abundant 375 bullets check it out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts