Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know what everybody's 45acp pistol preferences were. I own a Kimber Custom CDP II 45 and love it but have always here people talk about the Glocks and Sigs in the same caliber and wonder how they all compare (i.e. accuracy, recoil, durability, carry weight, etc.)

I have hung my hat on the 45 until I die but wanted to know how these other brands compare to the 1911 models and why you would choose them...Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I am by no means a pistol expert, but I have a shot a few .45's including LLama's, Colts, H&k's but have no real info to add. BUT, I would like to add to the thread and state my desire to hear any experience with the CZ97B. This pistol sure looks like a nice gun to me and I've been thinking of picking one up sometime.

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Try the HK USP 45, the recoil reduction system built into it makes it a joy to shoot, and yes The City bought me mine. I love it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

I would put in a vote for the HK USP.45

I actually prefer it over my 1911. Compared to the 1911 they have the same grip angle but my HK holds more rounds....is lighter...and has very little recoil so my double taps groups are about identical with my 1911.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Recoil said:
So, if you're just plinking and don't mind 1 or 2 second follow-up shots, polymer framed pistols are okay. But if you like double or tripple taps, or just emptying all 7 or 8 rounds into the same area rapidly, stick with any of the classic 1911 designs. Your Kimber was a good choice and I'll stand by you on it any day.
I disagree: both my G27 (subcompact .40) and G30 (compact .45) are quite suitable to quick repeated shots--it takes a bit of practice, but it's not a monumental feat.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
492 Posts
SA TRP OPERATOR ARMORY COAT. Look it up, research it, if you get a chance go play with one and you will see my love for that gun. SD

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I prefer shooting a 1911 but, I have a sig P220. The quality of the sig is high and is as accurate as any 1911 in the same price range. The reason I have the Sig over the 1911 is I can pull the weapon and fire. No safties, no cocked and locked hammer. In that regards the Sig is a better CARRY weapon imho. The 1911 does fit my hand better and I tend to shoot it better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I carry a Glock 21 on duty (it's mandatory in my dept), and I'm very pleased with it. I shot 293 out of a possible 300 on the qual course last year. I don't find the recoil to be any worse that that of the S&W .40 cal I carried at my old dept. The one complaint I do have is its size. I'm a fairly large guy, but even I have some difficulty carrying it concealed. Also, some of the female (and smaller statured male) officers find it a bit large for thier hands. I guess when you want a 13 shot .45 ACP, you have to be willing to compromise.
I also have a Rock Island Armory "Commander" sized .45 that I sometimes carry off duty. It's not a Kimber, but it shoots great and only cost me about $325.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
one word...........KIMBER. I have owned a colt comander (the little one) and it was nice, but I could not hit a darn barn with it, so I sold it and got the kimber and will never look back. The Kimber is my most favorite pistol that own next to my Glock 17 in 9mm. I had a Ruger P?? in 45acp and it was a decent gun, the spring that held the mag in broke, sent it back to ruger and they fixed it for free........then I sold it ASAP, it was a heavy gun, too heavy to carry. I have never had the chance to fire anything else in 45acp.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyone that remembers the debate that Nekakami and I had on handguns (9mm vs .45 :roll: ...like it's really a contest) will know what a die-hard .45 man I am. I've owned or own most of the popular mfgs. 1911s as well as several customs (Kimber Custom Shop, Les Baer, Wilson), and my hands down favorite is the Springfield TRP in stainless. I have two of them with a combined 15000+ rds through them and they are the most reliable and accurate semi-auto handguns I have ever shot.

Having gotten that out of the way, I still have or have had several other styles of .45. I have a Glock 21 that I am extremely fond of. It is more than acceptably accurate and totally reliable. I love the simple design of the Glock, and the additional firepower provided by the hi-cap magazine is a welcome plus. If I had to go back into the bush again, this is probably what I would carry. Actually, I find myself carrying it on a regular basis when I am out in the boonie sections of my property. Lots of illegals still trying to cross my place, and the fact that the gun plus two mags gives me 37 rds. vs. 22 rds with my 1911s is reassuring. It isn't as refined as my tuned 1911s, but it has qualities that I believe make it a better soldier's choice for battlefield conditions. Recoil is not a real issue in my experience, but the Glock will have occasional feeding problems if you are a limp-wristed shooter. That actually goes for most semi-auto pistols. The grip fits my large hand well, but it doesn't point quite a naturally as my 1911s. That last issue is probably more a product of my much longer association with the 1911 than with the Glock.

I've shot the SIG 245 enough to know that i don't like it. It is reasonably accurate, and very reliable, but it just doesn't feel "right" to me. It is noticeably slower for me in quick-draw performance, and I have more difficulty staying on target under rapid fire. I truly think my problems with this gun are related more to fit and preferences than an actual design issue.

I have a SIG GSR 1911, and it is proving to be an excellent performer. It is phenomenally accurate, and will feed anything you give it. Problem with this one is it is heavier than my TRPs and the accessory rail makes it a bit more bulky. It is also basically a 1911 with some minor "improvements". Still, it is a great pistol and an excellent bargain for what you get.

The Rugers are OK, but just feel clunky and cheap. I have not been impressed with them, but the ones I've shot have been reliable if not overly accurate. I would put them in the "Buy One of These if You Can't Afford Anything Better" class.

Stay away from Llamas. Likewise the Colt Series 90s. They are complete junk. I still have a Series 90, but it resides at the bottom of one of my stock tanks (which is where I threw it after the umpteenth jam of the day with ball ammo!! This is after repeated eforts to make the damn thing work properly.). I would place the old AMTs and Safari Arms pistols in this category too. There are still a few of these junkers floating around on the used market.

Sorry Mel, I don't have any experience with the CZ97B, so I can't help you. I'll ask around and see if any of my buddies have one. If they do, we'll get it out to my place for a good wring-out session and then I can give you a report.

K2

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The Rugers are OK, but just feel clunky and cheap. I have not been impressed with them, but the ones I've shot have been reliable if not overly accurate. I would put them in the "Buy One of These if You Can't Afford Anything Better" class
+1

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses

I like the sound of the HK USP.45. They have always made quality arms in the past and my biggest concern with going to a lighter weight model of 45acp would be the recoil effects on follow-ups. How does the size and weight of the HK USP compare to a standard 1911?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Here are my two ONLY carry peices for work...

1: H&K MK-23 .45 Auto with aftermarket barrel stainless steel barrel.

2: Custom made 1911's... mainly my Springfield Armory Operator 1911A1 with some work done to it. (its a double stack as well).

If im going swimming ill take the MK-23... if i plan on... or there is a possibility... of getting really really dirty... ill take the MK-23... if its just another day... which it is most of the time... ill carry a custom 1911.

BC

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

My 2 cents:

If you don't know if you will not like the recoil ....weight ...grip...ect.

Try it before you buy......many gun ranges have the option to rent handguns to shoot with.

Now I heard people say that isn't a good idea cause guns for rent are old..... beat up..... and have had thousands of rounds fired through them.

Well thats my point.....if you like the gun even after it has been used and abused and it still shoots good. I think you found a winner.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I deffinitly agree with that... if you like it when its old beat up and had thousands of rounds through it... its deffinitly a good pistol for you.

Now... make sure it is nice and clean before you shoot it though. I have rented a few pistols to try out and they were jamming so i checked em out... the insides were dirty as an old rusted haji AK... so make sure they are clean before you shoot them so that you get a good evaluation of the pistol.

BC

·
Registered
239 Posts
HK USP .45 Tactical. Little brother of the MK 23, and one very nice pistol. A little on the expensive side, but worth the money in my book. :)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I was going to say I carry a Desert Eagle modded for .45 to piss you guys off, but I didn't want to risk getting kicked off the board.

My next pistol purchase will be the SA Operator in the black and OD Green format (love that combination).

-snowy

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
snowy said:
I was going to say I carry a Desert Eagle modded for .45 to piss you guys off, but I didn't want to risk getting kicked off the board.
I have seen a .44 Mag Desert Eagle that was converted to .45 Auto before. It was around $1,350 or so... (local gun store and at a gun show or two)

BC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts