Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it was JeffVN who had a large stockpile of reloaded .45s in his brand new safe he was showing off...

Anyone have a shell casing recommendation for reloading 45s?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Scatch

Yep that was me. I have roughly 400 loaded rounds in cases that have been reloaded at least 5 times and 200 loaded rounds in cases that have only been reloaded once. Behind that was the 1,500 or so rounds of Blazer Brass 230 grain hardball, and the 1,200 rounds of Blazer aluminum cases for when I just want to shoot and not have to worry about picking up brass. Don't forget about the 1,500 or so pieces of prepped brass in my garage ready to be loaded.

I use the Blazer brass cases ammo to shoot for my hardball stuff (something like $9.00 per box delivered when you buy it in bulk). I save and reload those cases exclusively. Some cases have gone more than 20 reloads already with no sign of failure or cracks. But then again, I shoot pretty soft reloads (4.5 gr. Bullseye and a 200 grain Montana Gold FCJ), so the brass lasts forever - or at least it seems to.

My only real recommendation is to use one brand of case exclusively; don't mix the brands. Some say it doesn't matter, I'm not sure if that is true or not. But it certainly makes a difference in rifle brass and I'm not willing to test the theory with a firearm that is face high and only 32 inches from my face.

JeffVN

JeffVN

·
Registered
383 Posts
Some say it doesn't matter, I'm not sure if that is true or not. But it certainly makes a difference in rifle brass and I'm not willing to test the theory with a firearm that is face high and only 32 inches from my face.
Solid Advice.

Same goes for range brass, dont buy used brass from your gun range and use that either. I know some pretty unhappy people who have.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth. Thus for best accuracy you should trim your cases to a uniform length. This is to achieve uniform headspacing. Use the length recommended by your reloading manual.

And for best accuracy, you should not use mixed brass.

You also should not crimp .45ACP ammo. If you crimp .45ACP ammo, you can get uncertain headspacing in a pistol, which can lead to misfires and or jams.

Finally, Scatch, I'm sorry I overlooked telling you all of this in that last pm.
It is really good idea to trim your .45ACP brass to uniform length.

As for loads, please do not laugh at me. I prefer an old classic powder--Bullseye. In fact, Bullseye was one of the original powders used by the military back in the early 20th century. Bullseye is so thoroughly part of the .45ACP legacy, that I think it ought to be a crime to use other powders.

My favorite load:

230 grain fmj bullet, 5 grains of Bullesye, Overall cartridge length: 1.190"
Muzzle velocity from 5" bbl: 900 fps.

Use this load and live happily ever after.

CAUTION: IF YOU USE A PROGRESSIVE MACHINE, BE VERY CAREFUL TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING. ESPECIALLY WHEN LOADING .45ACP AMMO WITH BULLSEYE. IT IS POSSIBLE TO DOUBLE CHARGE A .45 ACP CASE WITH CERTAIN POWDERS. AND IF YOU DOUBLE CHARGE A .45ACP WITH BULLSEYE, YOU WILL BLOW THE GUN UP.

IF YOU USE A PROGRESSIVE MACHINE, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY USE A BALL TYPE POWDER SUCH AS HS6. SUCH POWDER IS NICE AND BULKY AND IT FLOWS NICELY THROUGH A POWDER MEASURE.

Mad.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone!

MidwayUSA is out of stock on their Blazer brass-cased ammo (thanks to Jeff's review! :wink:), but I'll take to heart what everyone has said.

Thanks for all the help Mad: the press is single-stage so there shouldn't be too much worrying.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Natchez is a viable alternative to Midway for Blazer Brass ammo

JeffVN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reloading .45 acp.

First, pick up a piece of brass at random. Mike it from the case mouth to the case head. Now, rotate the case 360 degrees and note that the dimension changes as you mike around the case mouth.
Next, pick up a once fired case and do the same.
Then another.
If you trim all of your brass to the shortest length you find, you will find that you are in a terrible mess, and the problem will be ongoing WITH EACH NEW BATCH OF BRASS, and will never go away.
A simple solution to uniform headspace on the .45 acp round is to use semi-wadcutter bullets only, such as the Rainier copy of the H&G 68.
Run a throating reamer ahead of the chamber, it you have to, and make the semi-wadcutter shoulder protrude a few thousandths ahead of the case mouth. Throat the chamber precisely. Thus, you headspace on the swc shoulder, not on the case mouth. Lock your loading dies in place and make sure you always use the same shell holder under the dies. Taper crimp and lock the tc die down permanently. This will give you absolutely perfect headspace every round, no matter how long or short the case might be.
The only way your headspace can drift is if you change your die settings.
Simple, precise and it has worked for me since Hector was a pup.
If you have read any of Elmer Keith's books you already know that the 200 grain swc bullet is as good as it gets in the .45.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts