Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started using Varget and am in the process of working up to maximum load.

Hogdon says 46 grains behind a 168 BTHP bullet.

I was planning on 41.5, 42.5,43.5,44.5,45.5 for test loads.

I got as far as 42.5 and for the life of me can't see how I would even get 44 in a .308 case with the bullet on top of it.

· Registered
1,500 Posts
What brand of brass are you using?
A drop tube may help a little.
Did the manual say it was over 100% charge?

102% would be a compressed charge.
There is more crush space available with stick powder than with ball powder.

Look at some other manuals.

Starting low and working up your own load is much better than grabbing the max load out of a book and hoping it works safely.

· Registered
5,231 Posts
Drop tubes prevent this type of accuracy.

If you don't understand what you are being told...then ask. Your statement is dead wrong.

The way you are measuring powder is probably by throwing it low into a pan...placing it on a scale...trickle up to precise, then dumping it into a funnel which is sitting on a case.

With a drop tube the only thing that changes is that a drop tube is attached to the bottom of a funnel. You still trickle powder and it is still precise.

· Registered
4,648 Posts
I use a trickler to bring my charge up to measured amount then a funnel.
Drop tubes prevent this type of accuracy.
My brass is all Hornady.
Yeah I trickle up to charge and then pour into a funnel with a drop tube attached. Doesn't prevent accuracy. Look at the link i posted.

Hornady brass has less internal capacity than the Winchester brass Hodgdon uses for their load on their site. So you will probably not get up[ to the 46grns but should find a good load a little lower.

· Registered
4,852 Posts
I find that using a drop tube is about the only way to get that much Varget into even a fire-formed/neck sized only Winchester case without having to put up with the "Varget Crunch".

If one doesn't have a drop tube, just holding he base of a filled case against the top of a running vibratory "tumbler" for a few seconds will help. Just remember to put a finger or thumb over the open end of the case first. :cool:

· Registered
4,852 Posts
Maybe as accurate but Varget has that great temp stability. :D

Considering that our seasonal low runs around 20 degrees and rarely do we see 80+ days temp stability is not as large a factor as someone in other areas where zero to 100+ can be the norm. The Enduron 4166 is more than stable enough for me. Availability is also a plus.

· Registered
4,648 Posts
Yeah the Enduron powders are pretty good too. I got some 4451 as a back up for my H4350 supply. Been a large factor for me having cold winters and shooting matches in hot places but once I move to NC it will be less important.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If you don't understand what you are being told...then ask. Your statement is dead wrong.

The way you are measuring powder is probably by throwing it low into a pan...placing it on a scale...trickle up to precise, then dumping it into a funnel which is sitting on a case.

With a drop tube the only thing that changes is that a drop tube is attached to the bottom of a funnel. You still trickle powder and it is still precise.
Seems like the guys with over 4000 posts act like they get annoyed easily.
I didn't realize some were so sensitive to an error.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you even look at the link before you made this statement?
Its a universal powder funnel from Midway.
Of course I looked at the link.
Its the same funnel I use already.

I put a charge close to what i want on the scale. trickle in the rest and pour it into the funnel on top of the case very slowly.

· Registered
5,231 Posts
I am not trying to be difficult...but this isn't the first time you have outright contradicted sound advice.

So why exactly are you upset at me? Because I told you that you were wrong? Because I took the time to get you to reconsider the truth you had been told? Because I explained to you how to use the drop tube?

· Registered
5,231 Posts
So which is it? Is it the same funnel you use...or will it not work because it is not as precise as what you use?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So which is it? Is it the same funnel you use...or will it not work because it is not as precise as what you use?
It is the same RCBS funnel I use. Same as in the link posted earlier.
As posted earlier I finalize my charge by trickling it onto my scale and slowly pour the charge into the funnel sitting atop the case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts