Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard anything about it?

Georgia precision makes some loads for it that push a 185gr JHP nosler to 1550fps at the muzzle. Seems like it might go the way of the 10mm and the .41 magnum (lol, anyone remember that one?) but if its a good round i might consider it for a 1911 buildup.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Its a .45 hybred, with a slightly longer case (to prevent someone using .45 brass by mistake and destroying thier firearm). It operates at 10mm type high chamber pressures and pushes the 45 bullets at or above standard 9mm speeds. Serious knockdown power in that round, but you really need to install a compensator to handle the recoil and give you a reasonable reacquisition speed on the target.

JeffVN

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jeffvn said:
Serious knockdown power in that round, but you really need to install a compensator to handle the recoil and give you a reasonable reacquisition speed on the target.
JeffVN
Can you still maintain high speeds after the C is installed, and, would a compensator not remove any tactical utility of the firearm? I've heard stories of chaps who had to use their backup C G29s (10MM) on pigs and swore to never bring it with them again as they were deaf for at least an hour. A lot of heat is useless if you need to put your ear muffs on first, no? :cry:

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Can you increase reaquisition speeds with a compensator - absolutely, just like a muzzle brake on a rifle. But (there is always a but isn't there), there is also the muzzle blast and flash to condend with, especialy at night.

A different .45 derivative to look at is the 454 Causll (SP?). Absolute beast of a round: 300 grain bullet pushing 1,600 fps. Its a revolver round, not for an auto.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would be good for a single shot type of thing then. I might consider it, also would look at the .45 gap as well. I really havent decided yet. deffinately not going smaller than a .40 though.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I agree .40 is a good place to stop, with one exception.

You may want to take a look at the 9x23, faster than the 38 Super by about 100 fps, making it about the same as the .357 for knockdown power, yet very easy to shoot and it requires targets (without a compesator) like nobody's buysiness (It is one of the top choices of IDPA shooters around the world, as it meets the power requirement without breaking a sweat) check out this link and series of articles. Look down the left side of the page until you get nearly to the bottom of the page - "All about the 9x23."

http://www.burnscustom.com/

I'm still SERIOUSLY considering this chambering for a 1911 carry piece. It stomps the 357Sig by about 200 fps with the same weight bullet, meaning it hits hard.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone besides winchester load the 9x23? If handloads are my only option then it might be ruled out as ammo availability here is sometimes scarce.

·
Registered
994 Posts
spade said:
Does anyone besides winchester load the 9x23? If handloads are my only option then it might be ruled out as ammo availability here is sometimes scarce.
If ammo availability is sometimes severely scarce, you may reconsider the possibility of the 45 GAP, too, as many .45 fans find it a rather pointless bullet (if it doesn't have a big enough following, no one's going to carry it). *shrugs* Demographics can vary widely, though.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ehh, the one thing that we have is a large group of glock owners. I dont understand it myself but i guess theres an ass for every saddle.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think there is one company other than Winchester that loads for the 9x23.

Handloading is a little expensive to get into (call it $400.00) at first, but it will save you a fortune over the long haul - reducing your per bullet cost by at least 50% if you buy your components in bulk. You can (and I do) load pistol ammo using a single stack press (RCBS Rockcrusher in my case). It take a little longer than the progressive loader, but it is also a fraction of the cost.

That is why I hand load for .45s, .308, and 6.5x284.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I handload a bit myself, but generally dont have the time when it comes to pistol ammo. 1000 rounds on the press takes a minute. Or 2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts