Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Well different components have their advantages/disadvantages. As was mentioned earlier, if you are shooting a 12.5" barrel you are not going to expect tight groups at 600 yds but you will be able to maneuver the weapon in tight quarters. The 24-26" barrel on the other hand will be unwieldy in tight quarters but (if a quality barrel) will likely have tighter groups than your 12.5" at 600.. if you have the right ammo for both.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well different components have their advantages/disadvantages. As was mentioned earlier, if you are shooting a 12.5" barrel you are not going to expect tight groups at 600 yds but you will be able to maneuver the weapon in tight quarters. The 24-26" barrel on the other hand will be unwieldy in tight quarters but (if a quality barrel) will likely have tighter groups than your 12.5" at 600.. if you have the right ammo for both.
That’s awesome. Thank you very much. This message board has been amazing in speeding up my learning curve. Wether it be reloading, shooting, or buying a scope or rifle.

Just wanna thank everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
You've not shot in the wind much. I'm assuming you weren't reading "about" 15mph at the bench with a Kestrel or reading telltails down range or familiar with 55 gr bullets in the wind from the way you state the problem. Hardly anyone without thousands of rounds through a familiar rifle can tell 12 mph from 15 or 90 deg wind from 80. You won't be on paper, much less out of a 2" circle if the wind is at 80deg. You're also not chronographing and don't know the vertical dispersion from a 12.5" barrel. I doubt the 1 moa. unless it was a single 3 shot group.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That is true:) I would guess he will find his best at either 68 and or 72gr, hopefully it will do 62gr just fine so he can have m855.. ive never seen light ap in heavier.. maybe its there and I've just never noticed:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I shot my 75gr rounds today and they were much better then the 55gr. I had decent grouping. You guys were spot on

·
Registered
535 Posts
I shot my 75gr rounds today and they were much better then the 55gr. I had decent grouping. You guys were spot on

Glad we can help:) the whole barrel harmonic concept is important as well . Like when you drop a.rock in a puddle you will see the waves and the more the wave bounce back and forth the weaker they get. The same is true with your barrel, you want that pill exiting the muzzle when the wave has reached the breach and also on a specific number of reflections that are weaker thereby letting the muzzle get as close to no movement as possible. As a general rule down to 16" wont cause accuracy loss except in the sense of lost velocity so you would have less reach. But if your not handloading just keep experimenting with 58-75gr pills from different ammo makes and you may find one that suits your needs:) im sure im wrong on some things but on ARs im admittedly at the risk of sounding arrogant, pretty well informed:)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Glad we can help:) the whole barrel harmonic concept is important as well . Like when you drop a.rock in a puddle you will see the waves and the more the wave bounce back and forth the weaker they get. The same is true with your barrel, you want that pill exiting the muzzle when the wave has reached the breach and also on a specific number of reflections that are weaker thereby letting the muzzle get as close to no movement as possible. As a general rule down to 16" wont cause accuracy loss except in the sense of lost velocity so you would have less reach. But if your not handloading just keep experimenting with 58-75gr pills from different ammo makes and you may find one that suits your needs:) im sure im wrong on some things but on ARs im admittedly at the risk of sounding arrogant, pretty well informed:)

Correction^^ 68 to 75

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

I'm not sure I agree that a short barrel will be as accurate as a long one. Conventional wisdom is been that the heavier and longer barrels are generally preferred for target rifles. If you look at what the some call a unlimited class bench gun that routinely put rounds through the same hole once dialed in, they have barrels that are 2 inches thick and none that I've seen at the range have barrels under 24" certainly none that I've seen had a barrel anywhere near 16".. These things in some cases look like a miniature artillery piece. Some didn't even have a butt stock that you could put against your shoulder. You would just point the weapon at the target, and if you wanted to, you could stand off to the side and squeeze the trigger.

My point is that these are considered to be the most accurate weapons and none of them use short barrels.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm not sure I agree that a short barrel will be as accurate as a long one. Conventional wisdom is been that the heavier and longer barrels are generally preferred for target rifles. If you look at what the some call a unlimited class bench gun that routinely put rounds through the same hole once dialed in, they have barrels that are 2 inches thick and none that I've seen at the range have barrels under 24" certainly none that I've seen had a barrel anywhere near 16".. These things in some cases look like a miniature artillery piece. Some didn't even have a butt stock that you could put against your shoulder. You would just point the weapon at the target, and if you wanted to, you could stand off to the side and squeeze the trigger.

My point is that these are considered to be the most accurate weapons and none of them use short barrels.
I didnt say short really, what has been found to be a pretty good rule is 16" is the cut off where accuracy starts being noticed. A 16" can be as accurate as a 28" if all things quality related are equal. The only way accuracy drops on the 16" is because it can't be driven to as high of a velocity therefore its effectiveness at longer ranges will lessen

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You guys got me addicted on the heavy grain 556 ammo. I fell back in love with my Dark Storm Typhoon DS-15 Non-NFA (which is important if you live in NJ like me) incase you were curious what rifle I was shooting. Problem is, Frontier ammo ain’t cheap. So I load up on cheap 223 55gr if I wanna ring the gongs at 100 yds. Then swap to the 75gr Frontier rounds for grouping on paper. It’s a good feeling to start enjoying toys again that you stopped playing with. Plus Jersey chicks dig it. It’s compact, idiot proof, and makes a loud boom.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You guys got me addicted on the heavy grain 556 ammo. I fell back in love with my Dark Storm Typhoon DS-15 Non-NFA (which is important if you live in NJ like me) incase you were curious what rifle I was shooting. Problem is, Frontier ammo ain’t cheap. So I load up on cheap 223 55gr if I wanna ring the gongs at 100 yds. Then swap to the 75gr Frontier rounds for grouping on paper. It’s a good feeling to start enjoying toys again that you stopped playing with. Plus Jersey chicks dig it. It’s compact, idiot proof, and makes a loud boom.
Lol, im glad you are liking th4em.. 5.56 went through alot of evolution in regards to twist rations and bullet weight..

·
Registered
535 Posts
I couldn’t get under 1 MOA USING a Caldwell 7-Rest. In fact I barely shot 1MOA. Each of my groupings has its own adventure.
What twist ratio is the barrel and what weight pill are you using.. no matter what anyone tells you it is crucial to have those matched properly. The general rule is 16" or under will/could have acurracy difs but ive got a bolt action 308 hand gun target pistol that will drill 1/4 moa.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts