Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pondering what I would want to buy as my first rifle, and for a while I'd been set on the Savage 10FP (thanks to the advice of Mel and a few others) because I was told it was a great rifle for its price; I'm now thinking I should save my money 'til December (I have a part time job) and take the hit to buy a .50 caliber rifle, even if it were quite some time before I could gain the necessary proficiency to enjoy it.

Do you guys enjoy shooting .50 caliber rifles similar to shooting assault rifles? Do they shoot extremely flat? Do they remain accurate at incredible distances? Are they more than just a big show-boat weapon?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

Personally I would go for a 338.....or maybe a 408 if I was looking into some serious distance stuff....50's were just never really made for that kind of accuracy. A wouldn't recomend a 50 for your first long range rifle.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't buy one for my first either, but considering I'll *never have the opportunity in the future*, what enjoyment COULD be had with the ownership of one? If the enjoyment is significant, I wouldn't mind buying it and waiting a year or so while I practice with something like a .308.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
ive shot a Barrett M99, great gun, very accurate... just its single shot
extremely loud and expensive and heavy as hell
ive herd .50 cals go off at the range... i was about 100 firing lines down and it was still loud
ahh did i mention they are extremely expensive

forget about getting a .50 BMG for your first rifle
if you havnt shot much of rifles you wont be starting off at the 1000y line
and youd never make it there if you are shooting .50 BMG all the time... too epxneisve to get good practice in

look at a .223s and .308s they are much more affordable and dont kick as much, not as loud either
if its just for tartget adn you are going to keep everything under 300y then go for a .223, if you might go upto 600y and rarely go furhter then you mgiht want a .308
its a good idea to master 100-200y before you go onto longer distances anyway trust me

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff_850 said:
forget about getting a .50 BMG for your first rifle
if you havnt shot much of rifles you wont be starting off at the 1000y line
and youd never make it there if you are shooting .50 BMG all the time... too epxneisve to get good practice in
if you might go upto 600y and rarely go furhter then you mgiht want a .308
its a good idea to master 100-200y before you go onto longer distances anyway trust me
I fear you are ignoring my previous post where I noted that if I were to purchase the .50 caliber rifle, I wouldn't try and practice with it; instead, I would opt for something cheaper like the Savage 10FP, and practice for up to a year, and then try the .50 on a regular basis. Why buy it now if I'm going to wait? Because if I don't buy it before December, I'll never have the opportunity again (California here).

Scatch Maroo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts