Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is old news, but a new development got my attention a while back.

You might have heard of the .50 GI, its a short little 50 caliber round made to fit in a 1911. Guncrafter Industries makes the pistol and the round, and JHPs can be had. The muzzle velocity is a little low, but it does keep the recoil down.

Until a while ago, they only had the one model, but now a model with more features is being offered. Specifically a MMC sight, ambi-safety and hard chrome finish.

It would be interesting to see a hostile block of Jell-O shot with the round, and everyone could speculate how their one-shot-deathray-turn-them-into-red-mist formula would apply.

As for me, theres just something about big bullets that gets my attention. The downside? It's expensive, and not just a little bit. I'll stick with the 9, but maybe one day...

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/

·
Registered
152 Posts
well it definately has a no nosense look about it, definately and attractive weapon.
talk about stopping power, if that connected with a human he most definately wouldnt be happy.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I seen one of these 50 GI 1911's in a magazine one night after getting home from class. A helluva big gaping hole in the barell! I sure as **** would not want to be on the business end of one of those weapons. Would be interesting to see what muzzle velocities would be coming out of that gun. Dont imagine it being very high.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Aw damn I want one!

It would be perfect. Both a high quality single stack 1911 - and a big bad thump-gun.

Now, how the heck do I persuade the police to let me buy a .50 handgun? :roll:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have a suggestion. Have the round renamed the "The .50 Metallic Silhouette".

And have the gun renamed, "Target and Silhouette Pistol--TSP"

And that might make the gun "friendlier" for your local police.

Just my suggestion. But I am

Mad

·
Registered
565 Posts
Haha

That was actually a quite brilliant plan, mad :wink:

And since the DE .50 is already "ok", this one shouldn't really cause any trouble.

I wouldn't go quite as far as selling the Mk23 to get a 1911 like this - but the thought crossed my mind..and that's a first.

It's about the most sexy looking 1911 I've ever seen. I'm in love.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Kamatz said:
I wouldn't go quite as far as selling the Mk23 to get a 1911 like this - but the thought crossed my mind..and that's a first.
Since you need to argue that the purposes serve different purposes, can you claim the .50 GI is a hunting round while the .45 is not?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's illegal to hunt with handguns here.

My "only" hope would be to add the .45 set and get Guncrafter Industries to sell it as a .45ACP, and then apply for a gun to some silly competition purpose I never intended to take any part of.

They're incredibly anal about handguns here.

Not that I have the money to spend now, anyway...

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only guns I've heard about that can fire a .50 round are heavy .50-cal machine guns and the Barret... I don't care how low the muzzle velocity is on that slug; that's would pack one heck of a punch.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
sorry to bring this topic alive again--but the .50 AE would be larger than the GI right???????? its still one helluva huge bullet--nice handy 1911 for rabbit hunting!!! :lol:

dom

·
Registered
347 Posts
You know, that is a nice rabbit gun. I think I saw Elmer Fudd with one on Looney Tunes once!! :lol: how bad is the recoil on thie little hand gun??

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the .50 AE has more powder capacity and thus more power. I believe the .50 AE and the .50 GI use the same diameter bullets, and maybe even share some of the same bullets, like the Gold Dot hollowpoint.

As far as recoil goes, I've heard conflicting reports. Some claim it's not so bad, about like a .45 ACP+P, others claim it's unbearable. It's all subjective I guess, I haven't shot a .50 GI, so I can't comment.

Rabbit hunting? :shock: seems like a little overkill...I like it! *grin*

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
dead_I_5_0 said:
You know, that is a nice rabbit gun. I think I saw Elmer Fudd with one on Looney Tunes once!! :lol: how bad is the recoil on thie little hand gun??-Brian Shields

*50 round drum needed about now* with auto selector switch

dom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts