Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
chime in all you .50 cal shooters, especially you folks in the armed forces. i'm wondering how many rounds you fire at an average range session. when working with the .50cal in a training sense, is there a point where you feel that shooting any more, on a given day, begins to degrade your progress. (ie. fatigue etc.) lets assume that you are shooting the entire session prone.

having never fired or been in the vicinity of a .50BMG, i'm curious about the power involved and how it adversely affects your body. do you consider the recoil and blast pressure a health risk with prolonged exposure... say during a career of working with the BMG cartridge? (i've been told by unreliable sources that this prolonged exposure can be dangerous???)

if you wouldn't mind mentionning what rifle you're working with, i'd appreciate it. thanks guys.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've only taken my 50 to the range a few times, but that's because the closest one operates only in the afternoon on Mondays. I have a Barrett M95. The kick is somethin', but I haven't had the opportunity to shoot prone. I hear that the spotter gets the most of the blast (due to the muzzlebreak).

The people who came to watch me shoot looked a bit awkward after I pulled the trigger, and noted it was "awfully mighty." I don't think I can answer your question adequately, however, and the only other person on this forum that I know of who has a 50 BMG is off doing secret things... his name is Ballistic_Coefficiency. He'd definitely be able to answer your question, however, he is not available.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
994 Posts
1) Welcome to the boards
2) S-C-A-T-C-H

No worries, it's a very, very... very common mistake. :wink:

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mikasan
I shoot { when I can} a mcmillan tac 50 single shot.

The average range session is about 50 -100 rounds over 6-10 hours. I have a great muzzle brake so the recoil is on par with a 308 or 243.What ever you do get the best brake you can and make sure it's install by a good smith. I have a very good friend who bought a $10,000 barret rifle that he shoots with one hand{ show-off}he currently lives in chiliwack BC . When I take the beast out I work on 1500-2000 meter shooting. I zero the weapon at 600meters and then start on the long range. I have special custom made ear plugs { I'm a musician} with interchangable filters. When I shoot the 50 I use the 40 decible filters.
When I was in the forces the 50 was being installed into the sniper program. At the time our introduction was a 3 and a half day course and then off into the field.I later did another 3 day add on to that program. I think we fired about 50 rounds per day. My shoulder was fine but my head was a mess. Being the spotter is like having your helmut hit with a hockey stick when that rifle barks. I also was not wearing good enough ear protection and at the end my ears where ringing and I was a little dizzy trying to walk back to the truck. I was so dizzy that I fell over and everyone got a good laugh.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don't be so embarresed, I thought it was scratch, too. Probably happens alot. Thats what I get for being a speed reader, I miss stuff like that. :)

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Everyone here called him "Scratch" at least once, I think

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
ONCE? bro i called him scratch for 6 months.... hell i still call him scratch just to watch him get all pissy and redfaced.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
spade said:
ONCE? bro i called him scratch for 6 months.... hell i still call him scratch just to watch him get all pissy and redfaced.
+1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Kenshin... exactly the feedback i'm after. i may have to get you to introduce me to your buddy... chilliwack is only an hour or so away. hehe :wink:

anyone else? i'm specifically wondering if any of you guys have experienced adverse physical effects from firing (or spotting for) high muzzle energy firearms. the ringing ears are kinda obvious i suppose, dizziness i wouldn't have guessed. anyone ever have eye problems (perhaps bloodshot) or headaches etc.?

does the idea of a detached retina, retinal tearing or brain injury from use of a .50BMG weapon sound even slightly plausible to you guys? we're talking over prolonged exposure. i really want to call bullshit, but this guy is supposedly taking this info directly from military sources.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've see a couple conical base fractures from scope jump before. Never anything like that though. Even saw a dislocated sholder once. Never a brain injury.

Hell i'll go ahead and call bullshit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I supose if you were dumb enough to stick your head next to the brake of the rifle it would give you brain damage but if your crazy enough to do that then I figure you already have brain damage.

I've never herd of any of the medical conditions you spoke of and I've been all over the world with the UN teaching and learning from other snipers and sharp shooters. I think you can safely call BS on you source.
I've herd of machine gunners getting sick because of handling brass, steel and lead over the haul of 30 years but that was back in my grand fathers day of WWII.

The dizzy spells come from the ear canal being blocked { or in my case trying to block noise to save itself} and causing the brain to loose equallibrem{spelling}

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oh almost fogot, petaining the thread.

A friend of mine owns a Barret and he does about 35 rounds per session and sometimes even 45 per session. If he feels up to it.

He really takes his MILE-Shots seriously and doesn't just machine-gun them 50s downrange. His sessions last 3-5 hrs. Plus he loves to do UKD which makes his 50 a whole lot of fun to watch.

Hope that helps.

Come to think, I need to get me a 50BMG.... :twisted:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I 2nd the M82A1 choice. If I only had the nine grand in my pocket. :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Everyone here called him "Scratch" at least once, I think
I think I have called him "Snatch" a few times.

I got a 50 too.........Only been to the range twice with it so far - each time fireing about 18-20 rounds each time. I can live with the recoil, but the darn ringing of the ears is the problem. I have never stood behind the gun while it is being fired so I have no info on that. The first trip to the range gave me a dizzy feeling for an hour or two after I left. The last trip did not give me the same feeling, was not too bad.

OH.......I might also add pulling the trigger gives you a FEELING OF POWER muahah........muahah

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Try putting ear plugs in your ears, and muffs over top. If you need to hear a little more, get a pair of those electronic ear muffs and use them instead.
did that the second time :wink:

Just sit tight for the next hour or two, okay?
OK..........I will be right here :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts