Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive did some research and cant find anything really rock solid, but is a 1:8 barrel good to stabalize a 55gr bullet in an AR? The AR is going to be used for target shooting. So any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
1:8 is fairly fast. you should easily stabilize a 55g bullet. probably about 77g or less.

·
Registered
284 Posts
avolcek said:
A 1:8 should do a 77Gr or less alright, if you really are doing target work, 55Gr may be a little on the light side depending on intended ranges.
Yea, I agree with this. A 1:8 is really sweet with the 62gr M855/SS109 offerings and they are pretty much exactly the same price as the 55gr when you buy them by the case.

If you really want to get a nice .223 round, you need to try the 69 SMKs or 73 Bergers. 77s are the real sweet spot. Mag length loads with some nice LR performance.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok good deal. ill be shooting at 100yrds to break it in and to zero the AR. Then work my way out in yardage. Ill order some of the 69gr stuff for when i start to move out past 100 I think. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Keep in mind, the 55s will do fine for 100-300, but they will be more apt wind drift. I have won 2 small XTC matches with 55gr Federal ammo, so it works fine. If you push out past 300 though, forget it. The 62 and up are better and 77s are where it's at!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Most of what you will find out there in commodity rifles is a 1:9 which should do 55's ok. 1:8 is the next step up and is the middle ground and does well with the 62's but will also shoot the 55's and 70's ok. 1:7 is what our military uses and what alot of competitors use it'lll shoot anything but likes the 70's the most.

Heck any barrel will shoot anything but will have adverse affects on different projectiles at longer ranges. Sometimes when we have these conversations we end up arguring over inches so it's important to know what you are trying to do with this rifle.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright fellas, Thanks for info

·
Registered
405 Posts
My AR15 has a 20" 8 twist barrel and shoots everything from 40 grain rat bullets though 77 grain match bullets without issue. 77 grain match bullets can be loaded to mag length. Now get out and shoot that thing then tell us how it went.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went very well for the first time shooting it. Posted pics in the Gallery Forum :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts