Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is confusing the heck out of me!!! I have decided on a Lothar Walther 6.5-284 Norma stainless steel barrel for my Savage varmint.

But the more I read up on them the more questions I have, I need a hand.

I can see that at Midway there is both Win and Norma brass for reloading, but no dies for the Norma.

I read at a couple reloading site that people are using the Win dies on the 6.5-284 Norma, am I confused?

I read that Norma standardized the round but then why no dies for it?

Any help locating a correct complete die set would be great, or am I just an idiot an missing something simple in all the reading and they are infact the same?

Also if there is a better barrel out there for this project please speak up.

Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The 6.5x284 Win is the same as the 6.5x284 Norma. Norma simply took the 6.5x284 Win wildcat and standardized it, so now its called the Norma. I'm sure some of the die makers are just still calling it by the old wilcat name

MEL

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The 6.5-284 is a wildcat so there are a few versions out there. However, Norma was the first to standardize it. Winchester designed the .284 case, so it is called a 6.5-284 Winchester to some, including die makers. The dies you'll see such as the Redding with the Winchester name are the same spec as Norma's standardized version of the caliber. I'm using Redding's 3 die set with Norma's brass. I neck mine for about 8 or so firings, then I FL size. The neck die gets around .004" neck tension and the FL die gets .005" with my set up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
mele said:
The 6.5x284 Win is the same as the 6.5x284 Norma. Norma simply took the 6.5x284 Win wildcat and standardized it, so now its called the Norma. I'm sure some of the die makers are just still calling it by the old wilcat name

MEL
As Mel said, they are the same in general terms.

However some meticulous shooters will note same differences in the web area of cases made by Norma or Winchester.

For reloading purposes, they are identical.

regards, Gus

·
Registered
1 Posts
David both are basically the same except the bullet seat depth of the Norma is not as much the recommended overall length of the Winchester is 2.8 inches at maximum where the Norma is chambered of a bullet length of 3.228 they increased the volume of the Norma cartridge to reduce pressures thus allowing for a higher powder capacity generating a higher muzzle velocity thus the difference in OAL

·
Registered
858 Posts
^^^^^ Pretty much well summaries in detail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts