Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am finally purchasing the last parts of my 6.5 creedmoor build. I will be using a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on this build. The rifle currently has an A2 stock and a 308 rifle length 5 ounce buffer with a standard spring in it. I am very tempted to purchase the JP Silent Captured Spring for this build, but I was wondering how much would I actually get out of using this in my rifle set up. I do not reload ammunition at this point. I plan on shooting Hornady 140gr or 147gr exclusively until I get enough brass to reload. The barrel is a Ballistic Advantage 18" barrel with mid gas.

My thoughts are that the adjustable gas block in bleed off mode should be able to make the rifle run pretty well without resorting to the JP SCS, and I can add the SCS down the road if I change my mind.

Biggest reason I am thinking about it is because money is tight and its taking me a bit of time to get everything set up how I want. The cost of the JP SCS will cover my Seekins scope rings, so if the gun will run well without the SCS I figure I may as well skip it for now and add it later if needed.

Thanks in advance,

-Red

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
No.

Get a Tubb spring, call it done.

-Nate

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Is the Tubb better than the JP or other similar springs?
Probably equal, unless you consider that the "sproing" noice is bad enough to cause you to spend another C-Note on the JP.

There's just no need. Spend $30 on a Tubb, or at least $130 on a JP? I'd spend the $100 on casings and bullets.

-Nate

·
Registered
299 Posts
From what I understand the SCS just keeps the sprong to a minimum. I must admit never having much to do with a ar before about a year ago it freaked me out the first time I pulled the trigger and it sounded like someone dropped a piano. But I've gotten used to it now.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Probably equal, unless you consider that the "sproing" noice is bad enough to cause you to spend another C-Note on the JP.

There's just no need. Spend $30 on a Tubb, or at least $130 on a JP? I'd spend the $100 on casings and bullets.

-Nate
You can get casings AND bullets for $100? I recently found that $100 doesn't go as far as it used to when dealing with "builds". Just finished one that took almost exactly 60 of those "Benjamins".

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
50 Hornady casings, enough 123 SMK to load them twice, and enough left for gas to the range. Yup.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The answer is no. I have built several custom and high dollars rifles for folks on the Ar10 platform. The 308 for decent functioning is straight forward enough. I always recommend an adjustable gas block to tweak things up a bit. I usually purchase the barrels and bolts from the same company that sells they matched as a set. The most basic correct buffer weight and spring in rifle length should usually work well. Tubbs springs work great. Now that being said, building a 6.5 Creedmoor is a totally different thing. That is a new learning curve. After building several and finally working the bugs out, now I know why a lot of the makers are not offering them for sale because they are so problematic. I spoke with the head armourer at a respected company who told me he hated selling them because there are so many problems. High pressures and different curves. The only spring and buffer weight combo in a rifle length that has been totally reliable for my builds is a Tubbs spring and a CTS buffer weight, and an adjustble gas block. Hot reloads will really mess things up. Add a suppressor and dont turn the gas way down will mess things up even more. You are starting to see Ar10 bolts being offered in a High pressure version that have small firing pins and small firing pin holes in the bolt face to prevent punctured primers and gas and brass flowing back in to the bolt. As for your original question I got a JP captured spring that does not work for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my Tubb spring in the mail last night. I have to say I'm impressed so far. I haven't shot with it yet, so take this for what it's worth. The spring is a pain in the ass to install because it's so long. Once it was installed I immediately noticed several things. It was harder to charge the rifle because of the increased spring pressure, yet it felt smoother. The bolt closed with authority when I released the charging handle. It's a lot quieter than the original spring I had installed. When you pull the charging handle you hear now only the sound of the handle scraping against the upper receiver.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Got my Tubb spring in the mail last night. I have to say I'm impressed so far. I haven't shot with it yet, so take this for what it's worth. The spring is a pain in the ass to install because it's so long. Once it was installed I immediately noticed several things. It was harder to charge the rifle because of the increased spring pressure, yet it felt smoother. The bolt closed with authority when I released the charging handle. It's a lot quieter than the original spring I had installed. When you pull the charging handle you hear now only the sound of the handle scraping against the upper receiver.
Sounds about right.

The spring is able to be longer because the wire is flat. If it were that long with round wire, it would reach full load at about 3/4 the compression, and at best, short stroke and bounce the carrier. It wouldn't be good.

-Nate

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered the Tubb spring. Thanks for the help.
.......kinda new to the AR game and have built a few now but have never heard of a "Tubb Spring". What and where can I get these? I was about to order a braided buffer spring but am holding tight for now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts