Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read an article on the 6.5 Creedmoor in the latest Shotgun News. It will fit into a .308 platform AR. Ballistics appear to be about the same as a .260 Rem. at a little lower pressure. Curious if it will take hold. Hornady seems to be the only producer of ammunition at this time. A little less expensive to shoot than a 6.5X47 Lapua.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I read that same article. Although it's not the sort of firearm that appeals to me generally, I thought that Tubb Rifle was pretty interesting. I wish a friend or relative would buy one so I could try it out.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I had just been thinking about this and commented on it in another thread. There's also the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC.

My only "gripe" is that a lot of "new" calibers are getting introduced that aren't really much different than some of the older calibers that have fallen by the way-side. The problem that I see is that years down the road not all of these calibers will "servive" and ammo & components will dry up potentially leaving you with a gun that you can't shoot or afford to.

For that very reason, I've built my firearms collection around cartridges that have a long history, strong current following, and many firearms chambered.

As much as I want a Winchester model 71 (in .348 cal) - I won't pay the price as ammo & components are not available. Marlin recently came out with a .308 Marlin that shoots a pointy (soft polymer) bullet out of a lever-gun. Since I doubt that caliber will be around in 20 years, I'd sooner buy a .30-30 and load flat-points to load in the magazine and also have some hand-loaded rounds (using pointed bullets) for single-feeding.

·
Registered
100 Posts
DPMS has a rifle chambered for it already, and if memory serves me right, krieger has a reamer for all of the blt gun guys.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slick said:
I had just been thinking about this and commented on it in another thread. There's also the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC.

My only "gripe" is that a lot of "new" calibers are getting introduced that aren't really much different than some of the older calibers that have fallen by the way-side. The problem that I see is that years down the road not all of these calibers will "servive" and ammo & components will dry up potentially leaving you with a gun that you can't shoot or afford to.

For that very reason, I've built my firearms collection around cartridges that have a long history, strong current following, and many firearms chambered.

As much as I want a Winchester model 71 (in .348 cal) - I won't pay the price as ammo & components are not available. Marlin recently came out with a .308 Marlin that shoots a pointy (soft polymer) bullet out of a lever-gun. Since I doubt that caliber will be around in 20 years, I'd sooner buy a .30-30 and load flat-points to load in the magazine and also have some hand-loaded rounds (using pointed bullets) for single-feeding.
For a lever gun as powerful as the 348 Winchester, I shoot a Browning BLR in 358 Win. The 358 has made a recent comeback. Browning and Ruger have current models in 358. If you handload,the 358 is a breeze. Just run 308 brass through a 358 sizer with a tapered expander and you have a 358. It is a real thumper out to 200 yards. I currently use a 260 Rem. in a Remington Mountain Rifle. I do like the 260. For a target gun,I was thinking that the 6.5 Creedmoor makes sense. You can shoot it in a bolt gun or an AR-10 platform. I believe the main thought behind this new caliber is availability of off the shelf, factory target grade ammo with lower pressures. I'm curious if it will take. I still am intrigued with the 6.8 SPC in an AR-15, but like you,I don't want to commit myself then a few years down the line, having a caliber that you can't get brass anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
it is my understanding that the 6.5grendle is based of of 7.62x39
the 6.8 spc is on remington 30 ??
which you can use in a standard ar15 lower

the creedmoor is based on the 30 tc case and would need an ar10 or similar lower

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Aren't the .22 PPC and 6mm PPC cartridges based on the 220 Russian, a necked down variation of the 7.62x39?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Our Team is in the process of getting rifles built in the 6.5 Creedmoor to shoot matches. Hopefully the rifles will be ready by June when we go to Idaho so after that I can let you know how it worked out compared to my .243 I shoot now. I'm pretty excited about it because the factory loaded ammo is supposed to be pretty accurate and coming out at a very good velocity.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
aixelsid1002 said:
The sink or swim will be decided by the military. Uncle Sam is or was looking to replace the 5.56. So just like the 223 ,IF they ever adopt one, the selected will be in use for a long time.
I really don't think the success of a purpose-designed match cartridge is going to be decided by any military. Look at the 6.5-284....the .260.....6.5x47. How many armies are using those?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I am willing to stake that US military will not be adopting the 6.5 Creedmore. Nor the 6.8, nor the grendel. While I really like the Six and a halves, the fact is there just aren't that many marksmen in the military. The ballistic coefficients are much better, but the military is going to look at the cost and logistics of any such switch verses the increase in the number of enemies potentialy killed by making a switch and determine the net effect of the cost of the switch will not result in a significant change in outcome of any given military conflict in the grand scheme of things. (The benefit would be to individual snipers and marksmen but I beleive will not effect any conflict overall.) Currently we have the 556, 308, 300 win mag and 50BMG. The soldiers might like a switch but the commanders will realize no net gain in the war.

So, in my opinion, the military will not effect the success of these cartridges (because I don't see them getting adopted other by maybe a few special ops groups). The majority of commercialy available guns are chambered for hunting and the majority of hunters are not shooters. The competitive shooters will buy the 6.5 Creedmore because it is a fine long distance cartridge, but unfortunately serious competive shooters are become fewer and fewer. But if you want to win at the next match, I say go with a 6.5, keeping in mind down the road, the caliber may not be that popular and you may have to rebarrel your 6.5 creedmore in 308 (or 556 in the case of the grendel).

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Hawk, while I agree with most of what you said, serious shooters aren't going to worry about availability too much; not enough to rebarrel to .308 Win. They don't mind short barrel life, forming their own brass, and meticulously prepping brass and hand loading ammunition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts