Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys, so is there anyone that makes a heavy barreled 6.5 ? or about how much it be to build one on a winchester mod 70 action? i love the one ruger makes but its like $1500

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
If you are appalled by the $1500 price tag on the Ruger, you might want to stop right now.

If you already have the Win action, then you can work with that and get it rebarreled by a competent gunsmith in 6.5 CM.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you are appalled by the $1500 price tag on the Ruger, you might want to stop right now.

If you already have the Win action, then you can work with that and get it rebarreled by a competent gunsmith in 6.5 CM.
Well said Gminor. It all depends on what you want. You want to shoot 6.5? The Creedmoor aint the answer. Its cool, its what the cool guys use. I can name 3 other 6.5 calibers that will out shoot it all day long. Problem is....your got the 6.5 Creed and the guy beside you hands you your ass with a flavor of 6 or 6.5 different from Creedmoor and you throw that rifle in the dumpster. Be wary of what you want. High precision shooting means many things. The high precision rifle genre is what we do. Before you decide on anything, give us a call. Saves money in the long run. You know the saying..."Buy once cry once" . I would shoot a 6.5 X 47 Lapua before a creedmoor. Ballistics prove this. Hell shoot a 6mm BR and out shoot them. 105 Scenar, 39.5 N160, jambed .015, point and click, cant miss. Depends on what you want the rifle to do. Flame suit on.

Reactions: exsimguy1

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I can name 3 other 6.5 calibers that will out shoot it all day long.
If you think a statement like this is true, you should probably expound on the details as to why you believe it, don't you think?

Especially considering that from an accuracy point of view, there are no discernible differences between the popular 6.5's. Your statement that 6.5CM will be out-shot by something else "all day long" is quite grandiose, and not in keeping with reality.

·
Registered
349 Posts
LOL a 6.5 X 284 Lapua will out shoot a CM all day long. That aint grandiose as you say, its fact

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iv seen the 6.5 creed and 6mmBR shoot the same groups . only bad thing about the 6.5x47 is brass aint cheap and would have to order it all the time as much as i shoot, 6.5CM is cheaper and easer to find . was thing of the 243win , and ill have to buy an action anyway was just thinking if i found a used mod 70 what stocks are available ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can make anything shoot good when you hand load for it, my savage 110 in 30-06 shoots one ragged hole at 200 just with a good trigger and hand loads

·
Registered
349 Posts
iv seen the 6.5 creed and 6mmBR shoot the same groups . only bad thing about the 6.5x47 is brass aint cheap and would have to order it all the time as much as i shoot, 6.5CM is cheaper and easer to find . was thing of the 243win , and ill have to buy an action anyway was just thinking if i found a used mod 70 what stocks are available ?
The .243 was an orginal "hot rod". if loaded right, will make you a proud shooter. Nuff said

·
Registered
349 Posts
Stocks are the key with Model 70's. Check out Stockys would be my first reccomendation

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Well said Gminor. It all depends on what you want. You want to shoot 6.5? The Creedmoor aint the answer. Its cool, its what the cool guys use. I can name 3 other 6.5 calibers that will out shoot it all day long. Problem is....your got the 6.5 Creed and the guy beside you hands you your ass with a flavor of 6 or 6.5 different from Creedmoor and you throw that rifle in the dumpster. Be wary of what you want. High precision shooting means many things. The high precision rifle genre is what we do. Before you decide on anything, give us a call. Saves money in the long run. You know the saying..."Buy once cry once" . I would shoot a 6.5 X 47 Lapua before a creedmoor. Ballistics prove this. Hell shoot a 6mm BR and out shoot them. 105 Scenar, 39.5 N160, jambed .015, point and click, cant miss. Depends on what you want the rifle to do. Flame suit on.
So... You will push the same bullet, slower, yet still out shoot the same bullet faster.

Physics would argue otherwise.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
LOL a 6.5 X 284 Lapua will out shoot a CM all day long. That aint grandiose as you say, its fact
If you are talking from an accuracy standpoint... I disagree 100%. Two rifles shooting one hole groups, one in 6.5x284 and one in 6.5CM... and you're telling me the 6.5x284 has better accuracy?

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Its only a 1700 mile drive....

Lets see, (1700/30) x $3.50 = $198.33 in gas for one way.

Lets see. we'll round up to 200 for gas, plus food, and lodging... nope, not worth it right now..

AND its 25+ hours of driving... yuck... Maybe if I end up driving across the US solo, maybe i'll swing up to SD and take you up on that..

That would be in the march time frame..

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I'll feed you, and put you up at the classroom.

We'll go out shooting for a day, and I'll throw in whatever pointers you can drink in while we're doing it. What's your excuse now? ;)

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
If I do come, I'll have you take me over to TS customs to spin up a new barrel..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well after some thought, i might go with the 243. would be perfect if i could find a heavy barrel m70 and restock it with a hs precision stock

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i played with a m70 the other day and liked it more than one of my 700s . just dont want to buy a 700 dollar action.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts