Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im looking at my new 6.5 build and am probably going to go with another 260. I love the 260 and im not a band wagon guy because i can do everything the creedmore can with my 260s..I have toyed with the idea of a 6.5x47 on lighter side and the 6.5 prc on the upper end. I know where the 47 stands and what its capable of but very little of the prc and what kind of accuracy guys are getting from it. No norma or lapua brass for it at least for now. Im looking for .2s at 100 and sub .5 out at least to 600 and just wandering whos running it yet and what there thoughts are.
Thanks
Daniel

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've never been an early adopter as far as new gizmos but, some of the new calibers coming out are able to get you to reach out as far as other calibers but with less powder. I'm told this by those that know infinitely more than I on the topic. That this translates into longer barrel life for the same or better performance. I'm hearing these kind of comments regarding the 6BR and some other calibers. I believe it has to do in part to case shoulder geometry amongst other things.

In this sport there will always be a better mousetrap introduced. That said, I had a 700P in 308 that I shot out and had it re-barreled with Bartlien 6.5CM. My hold at a 1000 yards with a 308 175 SMK with 43.2 grains of 4064 powder was about 10.5 mils. My 6.5CM 1000yd hold is 8.4mils with a 140gr Berger and 41.5Grains of H4350 under similar environmentals as the 308.. Although I haven't tested it, I'm told my 6.5CM should be able to get out to at least 1400yds or better with less recoil. Not likely I could do the same with the 308. My limitation is that I only have access to a 1000yd range.

If you like your 260 and you're already set up for reloading then fire away till you wear out the barrel. If you don't shoot enough to wear out a barrel, I personally don't thing there's any reason to change calibers so long as you're reaching out as far as you want to. I have another 308 but the two other and soon to be third 6.5CM's get more trigger time.

Just my .02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts