Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've herd some buzz around this new short mag. Dose anyone know if it's a "standard" round or is it a wildcat that people are manufacturing. And if it's a wildcat then how are they making them? I just caan't seem to find any info.

I've herd it get's equal or better ballistics to the 6.5-284 and if thats the case I'm in the clear.
I'm just tired of trying to hunt down good quality 284 brass. Hey if I can get good factory ammo and better access to brass with the same ballistics I'm in heaven.

any info is greatly apreicated.
thanks all.
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ive heard of people necking down both 300 WSM and 270 WSM to 6.5... not sure where they are getting there reloading dies from. :? Custom made i guess... just as most really high end wild cat things are. What about .300 WinMag necked down to 6.5? Now that would be a barrel burner :twisted: . While were at it... lets get a .408 CheyTac and neck it down to 338 with the 250gr SMK's :twisted: .

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If you are tired of trying to find brass but like the performance, look at the 6.5-06. It has the same ballistics of the 6.5-284, but you can use 30-06, 25-06 or 270 brass. You have to trim 270 brass since it is a bit longer than 30-06. A square is even making 6.5-06 ammo according to the midway site, although it says they are out of stock. In europe it is called 6.5x64 brennike I believe and ammo used to be sold for it. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I believe it is only in wild cat form at the moment. It sounds like it would be super hot, but I bet it burns barrels just like the 6.5x284 or perhaps even faster. Guess it depends on effeciency of the cartridge.

The 6.5-06 would be a nice cartridge also, if it was officially adopted and people loaded ammo for it. Problem is that the 6.5 is a fairly nitch caliber. It just is not very popular in the USA. The .260 hasn't taken off, the 6.5x55 has very limited support, the .264 Win is dead as is the 6.5 Rem Mag. Of course, you can get about 95% of the 6.5x284 potential from Lapua & Norma factory loaded match ammo in 6.5x55. Its just hard to find in the USA. I'm working to change that though by setting up to be a lapua dealer.

MEL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all,

Ya the one thing thats been stopping me from buying one of the new short magnums is that I've herd barrels last in the hundreds of rounds with the average barrel lasting about 800-900 rounds in the 300wsm{or so I've herd}. Can anyone confirm this? It seems a little odd to me that a company would put so much hype on a barrel burning cartridge??
I do know one person who is making 6.5/300 wsm bullets in his basement. the basement is still there and I get emails from him so I guess he has not blown off any body parts yet. I shot an email to him asking how he was coming along with the 6.5/300 so I should hear somthing soon.

I love the 6.5 family. Growing up in Canada it seemed everyone owned a .22 ,30:06,.303 and a 6.5x55. Good ammo could be found at the local Canadian tire or sporting goods store and all was well. The US never seemed to catch on to the 6.5{ wonder if the metric named scared them off, lol}

I have fired a few rounds through a 6.5-06 and was not overly impressed. A very good friend of mine owns one and uses it in competition. He likes his rifle but I think he likes my 6.5-284 better. There both great rounds.

Mel keep us informed, I'd rather support you than any other vendor out there. hope things with Lapua are going well.

Take care all.
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
As far as the WSM calibers burning barrels, keep in mind the calibers were deisgned to be used by hunters. The purpose was to get Magnum perfomance in a short action rifle, to make them lighter and shorter to carry in the bush. Most hunters, dont put but two boxes of ammo downthetube year, so a barrel will last many years. Guys like us put hundredsof rounds a day down a tube so maybe WSM is not for us?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kenshin,
I have a 300 WSM with a logged 1303 rounds through it and it still shoots great. I don't shoot reduced loads or anything like that either. If anything my loads are a little on the hot side. My buddy is a gunsmith and he looked at it with a bore scope and said everything looked wonderful. Also the rifle is barely a year old so you can tell I shoot quite a bit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey tyvick,

What are you shooting for a 300wsm?? Rifle,scope ect. your total setup??
What kind of accuracy are you getting? How do you like compared to other things you've shot.
I'm looking at getting a short mag of some kind but not sure which one. The 300 wsm is the front runner. Howa has added them to there line so for about $350, I can have a new toy to play with.

thanks a billion.
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kenshin,
I have a savage 10fp that has the action lapped and trued, a timney trigger installed and is glass bedded with a bell and carlson stock. It currently has a SS10x42 on it. With factory bullets the best groups I have gotten have been between .5 and .75 moa at 100. With my handloads I get less than .50 moa consistently. I took a picture of a 4 shot group ( I ran out of bullets) at 600 meters that measures less than three inches. I will load this picture on this thread as soon as I get a chance. As compared to others guns, it kicks just barely less than a .300 win mag so that is really no trade off. It shoots every bit as good as my issued M24 did and has much better ballistics. As far as being a barrel burner it is really not possible to burn one of these barrels faster than a .300 win mag because to attain the same velocity you use 5 to 10 grains less of powder for the wsm. I have a picture of it in the gallery section under "tyvicks stuff". It is the last rifle on the right. If you have any more questions please let me know.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Agreed, a .300 WSM should not burn a barrel any faster than a .300 Win Mag, which has a life expectancy of around 1500-1800 rounds. BUT, the 6.5 WSM in question may burn through them quicker.... but I have no evidence to back that up

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yup... agree here too. Allthough... i love my .308's... i have an old Remington 700 pencil barreled hunting rifle (that i use for testing hand loads) with no work done to it that has loged in exactly 10,465 rounds and the last time i shot it (testing hand loads a few months ago) it shot a .85 MOA 5 shot group.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, that is one great advantage of the .308... barrel life is LONG. US Army says 5000 for the M24, but their have been M24's with 8000-10000 that were still shooting great.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Granted... that .85 MOA group was lucky in that stage of the barrels life. It usually gets 1.25 - 1.5 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards. With the particular load i was testing at the time it averaged .96 MOA for 4, 5 shot groups... the lowest group being .85 MOA and the largest being 1.15 MOA.

BC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts