Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New member here. I've been a surfer for a while and this board's penchant for the 6.5 mm has finally won me over, hehe. Can't say I've seen that very much on any other "Sniper" board. It's a subject near and dear to me.
I've been a 6.5 mm fan for quite a while now. My first cartridge/gun combo was a 6.5 JDJ. It fires a 120 gr. bullet from a TC Contender at 2400 fps. It has a match grade Shilen barrel (from SSK Industries), and will shoot 5 shot sub 1" groups with most loads all day long.
I used to have a Swedish Mauser. It would shoot 2 - 3 in. groups at 100 yds with the military sights and Federal 140 gr ammo. I've always wanted a modern made Swede to extract the most from this cartridge.
For my 29th anniversary of my 21st birthday :lol: , I bought a M70 Featherweight.
I'm at the stage now that I'm about ready to start handloading. I plan to shoot the rifle first, simply because I can't resist it. After I shoot it, I will most likely bed the action.
Does anyone have any tried and true Swede loads that they don't mind sharing? I have several powders and numerous 6.5 bullets ranging from match to hunting bullets. Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Here is a +P load for modern rifles only.

49.0 grains H4350, 120grain Sierra Match King. Remington brass, Federal Gold Medal Match primer. Overall length 3.080"

Muzzle velocity is 3009 fps from 22" Sako bbl. Standard deviation about 9 fps.

This is a half minute load.

MAKE SURE THAT THIS LOAD IS NEVER USED IN OLDER RIFLES. AND REDUCE THE LOAD BY 10% AT FIRST. THEN WORK UP THE LOAD AS PRESSURE INDICATIONS WOULD ALLOW.

Another good load for the 6.5x55 is to use the 85 grain Sierra Varmint hollow point. Try 49.0 grains of IMR-4064 powder with Remington brass, and Federal Match primers. Muzzle velocity is 3500 fps. But again this is a +P load for modern firearms. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF TOUCHING ONE OF THESE OFF IN A SWEDISH MAUSER.

A standard load for the 6.5x55 for many years has been 45 grains of IMR-4350 with the 140 grain bullet.

And IMR-4350 also works with the 160 grain Hornady round nosed bullet. So does IMR-4831.

I sent Mel some handloaded 6.5x55mm ammo. These were loaded with the 160 grain Hornady roundnose and IMR-4831. He used them in the Twedish Mauser that he built.

Mad
Mad

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
JianWa,
Welcom aboard! and congrats on the 6.5 purchase! Those are a very nice off the shelf 6.5x55 rifle.

When it comes to handloads, ESPECIALLY for the 6.5x55, madgunsmith is the man to trust!

MEL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

I've just started the reloading to get out shooting hopefully tomorrow. I've run into a situation I haven't really seen before. I loaded a few rounds and decided to check the chambering before I got too far along. I checked all the case lengths before I started even though I'm using virgin brass. Some cases seem tight even though the length of the cases is fine. Some I can't close the bolt on at all. The loaded rounds are Saami OAL or less. This is winchester brass btw. I've heard people say that they resize all brass before they handload. I never had this problem with virgin brass before. Has anyone experienced this with Lapua 6.5X 55 brass or do you resize it also, before starting?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The most accurate load in my CZ550 6.5x55 is 40.0gr Varget, 120gr Sierra Match King or Nosler Balistic Tip, Rem brass, Federal Gold Match primer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont have a croney so I'm not sure. Hodgdon list 39.0gr of Varget with a velocity of 2812, so somewhere north of there I guess.

I have also been playing around with reduced velocity loads using Blue Dot, but have not found the sweet spot with those yet.

Rick C.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
excellent.. thanks for the info!

I love the 6.5x55... I'll be building a target version someday soon (I have a scout rifle I built on a turkish mauser action using a swedish carbine barrel... it really shoots well)

MEL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts