Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m new to the 6.5CM I can only shoot out to two hundred yards for now,so my question is should I just keep buying factory ammo or should I start reloading I do shoot a considerable amount a week 400-700 in 6.5 a week or in till my funds run out.im using Hornady Match.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hi I’m new to the 6.5CM I can only shoot out to two hundred yards for now,so my question is should I just keep buying factory ammo or should I start reloading I do shoot a considerable amount a week 400-700 in 6.5 a week or in till my funds run out.im using Hornady Match.
WOW I wish I could shoot that much. For me the decision revolved around whether factory ammunition performed as well as hand loads tailored to my weapon. When I started reloading, I had a factory Rem 700P in 308. I was able to better Federal GMM by following Load Development process outlined in the Primal Rights website library. I used 175 SMKs and IMR 4064. I used 43.2gr of powder. My best rounds as far as accuracy were loaded long. They needed to be single loaded but they were well under .5 MOA. I backed off the length and I was able to get just a tad over .5MOA loading them a mag length. Every rifle behaves differently. When I got custom barrels, they seemed to be a bit more forgiving than the factory barrels. The throat on my factory Rem was crazy long. I'm told by those in the know that is due to the influence of attorney's advice to manufacturers. I haven't recently done the math on the savings but except for my travel hunting rifle, I use hand loads for my LD weapons. I started out using a Lee Handloader the Higher end Lee reloading dies, bar scale and a RCBS priming tool. I've upgraded the press to a Forster Coax, and Chargemaster 1500 as a powder throw. I have Forster FL sizing dies and their Micrometer Seating dies that seem to be a bit better for Berger Bullets if you get the upgraded seating stems.

As much as you shoot, you will spend a good bit of time loading that amount of rounds per week. You might be tempted to get a progressive press to pick up the reloading speed, read articles about the progressives and precision or rather the lack there of. You can get good loads but if you are looking peak precision and accuracy those who have gone the progressive route for speed have gone back to single stage presses.

·
Registered
848 Posts
400 - 700 rounds down the pipe in a week? That is a lot of rounds for non-competitor. Considering average barrel life is around 2500 rounds. That's about 2 month of shooting and barrel swap. Unless you don't mind spending tons of dollars doing barrel replace, you might want to consider changing the caliber to less barrel eating rounds like .308.

·
Registered
551 Posts
There's good info in those responses above to your question for you to carefully consider. It really comes down do just what you're specific goal(s) are and what kind of shooting you do (line shooting steel vs X's at distance).

If a high degree of precision is one of them, then reloading to your specific gun is the best way to go. But, 400- 700 rounds a week is a lot of reloading time for that. In order to get good "precision" results at the highest possible speed will require expensive equipment (e.g. FS 120i electronic scale with auto trickler or a Parmetheus II scale; Bench Source annealing machine; Giraud Power Trimmer). When doing high volume loading, this kind of equipment can really save you some time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I do shoot a lot keeps me out of trouble,I mostly shoot 22,223,9mm,and now 5.6CM hell if I’m just shooting 22cal some days I will go threw a box of 500 and 223 I will go threw 100+ in a day.so now I’m just focusing on the 5.6CM its a great caliber I just wish I had somewhere to stretch it out to 500+ yards.im a little hesitant about reloading for now.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Speaking for myself, I shoot more slowly when I take the time to meticulously load each round.

Save your brass just in case you change your mind. Hornady brass isn’t too bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking for myself, I shoot more slowly when I take the time to meticulously load each round.

Save your brass just in case you change your mind. Hornady brass isn’t too bad.
yes I am saving my brass I know I will adventually start reloading but up to now I’ve been shooting 22cal and 223/556 so that’s been cheep enough to buy,I just need to get educated with reloading before I jump into it. Thank you all for you advice it really goes a long way for a beginner.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
yes I am saving my brass I know I will adventually start reloading but up to now I’ve been shooting 22cal and 223/556 so that’s been cheep enough to buy,I just need to get educated with reloading before I jump into it. Thank you all for you advice it really goes a long way for a beginner.

Just paying it forward. Guys here helped me out a lot.

I don't count the rounds of 22 or 223 I shoot. I misunderstood your 400-700 number... Thought that was 6.5CM. I was going to say... that's a ton of scratch on ammo. Not so much if the other calibers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just paying it forward. Guys here helped me out a lot.

I don't count the rounds of 22 or 223 I shoot. I misunderstood your 400-700 number... Thought that was 6.5CM. I was going to say... that's a ton of scratch on ammo. Not so much if the other calibers.
I’m sorry I should have more clear hell if I was shooting 400-700 of 6.5 a dayI would have to work 24/7 just to pay for it.on the 5.6 since its a new gun and cal I am shooting it a good amount until I figure it’s setup out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am now getting 3 shot groups in same hole or at least touching some hole at 100 yards with bipod front and bag in back.I have used Hornady 120,140,147 and federal 140.I am very happy with this rifle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts