Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I think the length that the bullet would be, and its surface area in the barrel, would generate such high pressures it would probably not be feasible.

I know there are 160's but I've never seen higher.

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've never heard of them, but I'm not sure that it is impossible.

Suppose a bullet maker redesigned the 155 grain Sierra to use a depleted uranium core. Or a tungsten carbine core.

It might be possible to get 200 grains in a 6.5 bullet. Hmm...........

Mad

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Hum, very good point mad..... I didn't think of that, I was just thinking the major bullet manufacturers

MEL

·
Registered
777 Posts
I agree about the pressure, it would probably be unbelieveably high. As far as I know the 160s in the 6.5 are round nosed solids, but someone may have come out with a spitzer that I didn't know about.

The twist rate would probably have to be really fast as well, which reduces barrel life...and with that heavy of a bullet speed would suffer some I think, but its an interesting thought, let us know if you find anything else out about it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
madgunsmith said:
Suppose a bullet maker redesigned the 155 grain Sierra to use a depleted uranium core. Or a tungsten carbine core.
Depleted Uranium is kinda hard to buy now days. :lol: . But i would imagine a Tungstun Carbide core bullet would be easy to either custom make or custom order from a bullet smith. Allthough i would think a Tungstun core bullet would reak havok on a nice barrel... that stuff is not only very dense... but very very hard. That would be like shooting AP in a nice barrel... it would work just fine but i wouldnt think it would do any good on that button pulled rifling. If i remember correctly Tungstun is somewhere in the area of 65 on the rockwell hardness scale. Lead is somewhere around 15 if i remember correctly... correct me if my info is wrong.

BC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts