Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've never heard of the 6.5 STW; the only STWs that I was aware of were the 7mm and the .257.

With a faster twist barrel, I bet the 6.5 STW could really move those 144 grain Lapuas. I bet it could burn out your throat faster than you can say "overbore" too :wink:

As long as you kept the barrel cool this could be a spectacular cartridge, and yes, I'm sure it has more than enough power for black bear. Good eye to catch this unknown (to me at least) cartridge, we're always interested in hearing about new cartridges.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Talk about a screamer! A single day of hard shooting could probably eat the throat, but lots of varmint rifles suffer from that too. +1 to everything Bead Drawer said.

It certainly has the KE to knock off a black bear, but I would want more frontal area and weight, less speed.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Funny, I was just shooting my dads 7mmSTW over the weekend, and a 6.5 would certainly be a barrel burner. Though the long range potential would be amazing....

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If someone cleaned well and made sure not to let the barrel heat, no firing long strings, etc...How many shots do you think it would live through? 750-1000 maybe? That wouldn't be too bad...more or less on par with the Lazzeroni screaming patriot bird of eroding death rounds. :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I found this cartridge called the .257 Ferguson which is a 7mm STW necked down to a .257. It was wildcatted by a Hunting guide in Mexico. Now if the 6.5 STW would be a barrel burner, can you imagine the .257 Ferguson?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts