Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father just had a 6.5x 284 custom built and iam looking to one up him i was wondering if anyone could give me information and ballistics on either the 6.5x 300 Weatherby or the 7mm- 300 Weatherby. Any Info would be greatful

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Both the 7mm--300 Weatherby and 6.5--300 Weatherby are lousy cartridges that were designed for numbskulls who value muzzleblast and recoil above barrel life.

These two rounds are badly overbore. You will fry your barrel in no time.

So don't be a schmoe. Just listen to me and get one of the following rounds:

.260 Remington, 6.5x55mm 6.5-06, 7mm-08 ,7x57mm or .280 Remington.

Get one of these and you will live happily ever after. And if you build a 6.5 make sure to use a twist of one turn in 8 inches.

fluffy.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Fluffy let those poor weatherby calibers alone. They are both badly overbored but they have there place. Not to mention at least one of the rounds you mentioned also suffer from poor barrel life also (aka 260) The man is not a schome just because he likes weatherby rounds.

300wby, I don't shoot either of the rounds mentioned however I do reload the shoot a 300 weatherby. Thus I know first hand about the recoil and barrel issues of this case. I can tell you that both the rounds you mentioned are badly overbored and will wear out your throat rapidly. However you can get some awesome performance out of them. The 7mm-300 wby mag can get 180 grain VLD bullets out at around 3200 fps which gets you to a grand with ONLY about 16 minutes of dope. Also this round will like some slow burning powder most people are liking reloader 25 for this application. Personally I would experiment with some H1000, this is great stuff that is very temperature tolerant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, I should have stated my intentions with the weapon. I am more or less looking to shoot whitetails out to a 1000 yards and not squirrels.

I have a Remington Model 7 in .260 and I also shoot a Weatherby Vanguard in .300wby mag. The ballistics don't even compare. In my opinion the .300 out performs the .260 anyday. Don't get me wrong the .260 is a great cartridge and I realize they shoot it in a 1000 yards, but I want knock-down power at a 1000 yards.

I should also take into consideration that with a name like "Fluffy The Cat" you aren't man enough to handle the recoil of the .300.

In any case, my .300 wby disperses the recoil very well and I believe that if I use a Weatherby action and mate it to a 28in Lothar barrel and combine that with a Hogue stock it will disperse the recoil well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
300WBY said:
I should also take into consideration that with a name like "Fluffy The Cat" you aren't man enough to handle the recoil of the .300.
You don't know Fluffy!

PS: as you are a newbie first poster you need to be respectful. Fluffy gave you honest practical advice, but you want to be more of a man than your father so go ahead and buy a bigger blaster. Go 338 Lapua.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My cat is a flea-bitten varmint. And she is a troublemaker to boot.
I'm sorry she insulted you. But she is right about one thing. The 6.5-300 Weatherby is a barrel burner and after 50 or 75 shots you will lose that loving feeling.

The same holds true for the 7mm--300 Weatherby.

Follow in your dad's footsteps and get a 6.5-284. And please try to get closer to those whitetails.

Mad

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was going to suggest a 6.5/378 you would only lose about 50 rounds of barrel life over the 6.5/300 (100 to 50). It pains me to agree with a cat but right is right. I feel dirty now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Longshot38 for your helpful advice if anyone else would like to give me helpful advice such as ballistics you are more then welcom to post but if your gonna piss and moan and tell me how much of a barrel burrner a 6.5- 300 is or cry cause your shoulder hurts i dont want to hear it :!: Anyone that wants to give me a hard time cause i was bashing on Fluffy can get bent, just because iam a newbie to this forum doent mean it gives fulffy permission to bash on me. I might be new to this forum but iam certinaly not new to firearms!

P.S.
anyone who wants to reply serious iam more leaning twards the 6.5- 284 shot my fathers very nice shooting gun. Any tips on the 6.5- 284

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone watch the "Best of the West" i have seen them shoot goats at 1100yds. They use a 6.5-284

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just gunna say, you might want to get to know people first, 300WBY. That's the way Fluffy writes her opinions, a bit eccentric, but don't be a schmoe is her calling card. If you want to know ballistics, cartridges, reloading and data, well know that's Fluffy's expertise and you can take it to the bank. Don't get me wrong I don't always agree with Fluffy on other stuff, I am just telling you to think before you type. Few of us here care how tough you are or how big your gun is. You asked for any advice and you got good advice. I am sure someone can plug your numbers into their software program for you and print out a nice data sheet based on muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficients or your can just do it yourself. But lighten up a little.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
if you want to hit a white tail at 1000 yds use what you wish..... If you want to kill the poor thing at that range minimum I would go with is a .300 WM or best of all a .338LM

I don't know how good of a shot you are.... but please get closer to the deer, you owe it to the deer to not let it suffer. Its not like its going to shoot back at you.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Actually, I have a serious idea for a long range round. I don't know if this has been done before but here's my idea.

Take one of the British nitro express rounds such as the .404 Gibbs. Then neck it up to .50 cal. Or you could use the 10.75mm Schuler.

Anyway with the right powder you might be able to coax 2000 fps. Now with the Hornady A Max you wiould have a superbly effient cartridge. The AMAX has a very high ballistics coefficient and the bullet would ramain supersonic at very long range.

One of the magnum length ZKK-602 actions would be long enough to house the round. And you can buy these actions off the shelf from Brownells.

I would call the round the .50 Hathcock in honor of the late Marine Corps marksman.

I still say stay away from a necked down .300 Weatherby. Neck up, not down.

And a daily change of socks and underwear is not an unecessary extravagance.

Fluffy

·
Registered
121 Posts
A good friend of mine and ex military man L. Shaw had a 7x300 and he loved it. It shot through 1/2" iron @300 like butter. But, like everyone has stated he quickly burned out the barrel and upgraded to :shock:

338 laupa. Which is what I would suggest if you really want a long range hunter.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
300WBY said:
Thank you Longshot38 for your helpful advice if anyone else would like to give me helpful advice such as ballistics you are more then welcom to post but if your gonna :) and moan and tell me how much of a barrel burrner a 6.5- 300 is or cry cause your shoulder hurts i dont want to hear it :!: Anyone that wants to give me a hard time cause i was bashing on Fluffy can get bent, just because iam a newbie to this forum doent mean it gives fulffy permission to bash on me. I might be new to this forum but iam certinaly not new to firearms!
300WBY,
If you plan on continuing to post here, you need to take the chip off your shoulder. Fluffy's style of writing may be a bit eccentric, as was stated before, but is one of the most knowledgable posters on this board and would never intentially bash anyone.

Being respectful and polite will get you a long way around here.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd like to try the 300Wby. necked up to .416 and use Barrett's bullets for the .416 Barrett. I think that would be a great round, awesome penetration, controllable recoil, and with a 400gr. bullet a great hunting rig, or bear medicine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Why not a .416 Remington Mag? Same case, minus the goofy 'double radius shoulder', without the hassle of a wildcat.

edit to add:

You will probably only be able to get maybe a touch over 2400 fps out of the case with the Barret 396 gr bullets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
6.5 vs 7mm-300

My father just had a 6.5x 284 custom built and iam looking to one up him i was wondering if anyone could give me information and ballistics on either the 6.5x 300 Weatherby or the 7mm- 300 Weatherby. Any Info would be greatful
The question is which is better a 6.5 or 7mm-300 Wby. I have both 300 and 7mm, as well as, 270 Wbys. While I love to shoot my big caliber, I have recently switched to custom 264 rifles. First off, the 7mm-300 is a 7mm STW minus the rounded shoulders. Both the 6.5 and 7mm bullets have very good long range ballistics. You will have to reload for all of your shooting, as I have never seen this available loaded. Now out of all of the calibers, Roy failed to make the 6.5 for some reason. His 257 often has the claim of the best round, as well as his favorite. I believe that if he had made the 6.5, it would be the favorite. Now the 257, 270, & the 7mm calibers have a slightly shorter case, than the 300. My 264 Win calibers shoot with 3300fps and is available at almost all hunting stores, if I need a load, or want more brass. There is a slight gain in velocity in the longer 300 case, however, it isn't worth the recoil, or shortened life of the barrel and brass. The Westener (.264) is one of the best calibers ever, and if Roy had it available, I would buy it!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am glad that someone came in at the end pointing out that the 7mm 300wby is for all intents and purposes a 7mmSTW . Fine build yourself a funny shouldered, excessively freebored 7mmSTW , overload it as there's no pressure tested data and pat yourself on the back for your great invention. I have used an STW on and off for about 15 years and had a 264 WM. Only used them for " sporting " hunting inside of 350 yds. I preferred the 264, great on grumpy sika stags and held it's own in Africa. Now I must be getting old because I love my 300 WSM, maybe I like a few more shots per pound of powder and from my barrels. But let's face it a 338Lap mag trumps it all in the real world of long range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow!! How about these responses?? I'll address the question first.
300wby,
You have a great idea and can't go wrong. If it was me in your position I would do the 7mm-300wby because of the better ballistics for what you want to do with this cartridge. 180gr Berger VLD at 3200fps is awesome!! It's also unique which makes it "up" your old man even more. During F-class competitions the 7mm's are very tough to beat. They don't get bullied around as much as my 142SMK's. With all this said you will have to reload and finding dies and all the reloading aspects for this cartridge may become frustrating.

Now with that said, it sounds like you are wanting to shoot deer at 1000yds. I have no experience with this. I personally wouldn't shoot animals at this range but that's just me.I shoot steel at 1000-1950 yds. This past weekend we did some testing to 1950yds with a 300RUM with 215gr Bergers at 3100fps. It dominated.

As for some of the responses above...lol. 50-75rd barrel life?? That's false. Tom at Thunder Valley precision makes the 300 Hulk and 7mm Hulk and has decent barrel life. 7mm at 3,400fps. Educate yourself on these two calibers and maybe you will change your mind on making the 7mm-300wby. Also, someone talked about too much recoil of the 7mm-300 but then suggest a .338 LM!? So a 300gr bullet at 2800fps is less recoil than a 180gr bullet??

Since calling some a "schmo" isn't derogatory I'd Be careful of which "schmo" you listen too

1 - 20 of 26 Posts