Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm partial to the 7mm-460 WBY AI. It's supersonic out past the county line and even though barrel life is a tad limited it outlasts your shoulder so it doesn't matter. And inside 1500 yds it does small whitetails like a 22-250 does prairie dogs. The red mist hangs in the air FOR EV ER.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wow!! How about these responses?? I'll address the question first.
300wby,
You have a great idea and can't go wrong. If it was me in your position I would do the 7mm-300wby because of the better ballistics for what you want to do with this cartridge. 180gr Berger VLD at 3200fps is awesome!! It's also unique which makes it "up" your old man even more. During F-class competitions the 7mm's are very tough to beat. They don't get bullied around as much as my 142SMK's. With all this said you will have to reload and finding dies and all the reloading aspects for this cartridge may become frustrating.

Now with that said, it sounds like you are wanting to shoot deer at 1000yds. I have no experience with this. I personally wouldn't shoot animals at this range but that's just me.I shoot steel at 1000-1950 yds. This past weekend we did some testing to 1950yds with a 300RUM with 215gr Bergers at 3100fps. It dominated.

As for some of the responses above...lol. 50-75rd barrel life?? That's false. Tom at Thunder Valley precision makes the 300 Hulk and 7mm Hulk and has decent barrel life. 7mm at 3,400fps. Educate yourself on these two calibers and maybe you will change your mind on making the 7mm-300wby. Also, someone talked about too much recoil of the 7mm-300 but then suggest a .338 LM!? So a 300gr bullet at 2800fps is less recoil than a 180gr bullet??

Since calling some a "schmo" isn't derogatory I'd Be careful of which "schmo" you listen too

Or some responses are tongue in cheek because "spec sheet one-up-manship" only works in the pub, the targets tell the story that matters.
Besides, a 5 year old thread, really?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Both the 7mm--300 Weatherby and 6.5--300 Weatherby are lousy cartridges that were designed for numbskulls who value muzzleblast and recoil above barrel life.

These two rounds are badly overbore. You will fry your barrel in no time.

So don't be a schmoe. Just listen to me and get one of the following rounds:

.260 Remington, 6.5x55mm 6.5-06, 7mm-08 ,7x57mm or .280 Remington.

Get one of these and you will live happily ever after. And if you build a 6.5 make sure to use a twist of one turn in 8 inches.

fluffy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Numbskulls?? I'm not sure what your into, but glad that your in the minority!! So, if I take my 6.5-300 Weatherby and load up 156 gr Bergers with around 3100 fps, what's the problem?? Perhaps you perfer something that isn't accurate?? So, how do you feel about 26, 27, 28 & 30 Nosler???

21 - 24 of 24 Posts